• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wow. I've kind of lost track of this story and until catching up on this thread, hadn't heard about this twist. Seems to me if the LEO's are keep their authority while off duty to do things like throw concerned parents out of school board meetings, they should also retain their duty to stop lawlessness.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow. I've kind of lost track of this story and until catching up on this thread, hadn't heard about this twist. Seems to me if the LEO's are keep their authority while off duty to do things like throw concerned parents out of school board meetings, they should also retain their duty to stop lawlessness.

If there is "Any" truth to this what a severe black eye on the LEO and the dept. they represent.
    If there is any truth to this I am waiting to see how harshly they are punished.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    .... A motorcycle doesn't stop like a car and the guy(s) behind the SUV would have had nowhere to go because of the group of people being in every lane. It's a lose lose situation for the driver of the SUV. You either rear end the one who cut you off and who was incompetent enough to brake check an SUV, or you slam on your brakes and have one come in your rear windshield.
    You're right, in general,most motorcycles have very much shorter stopping distances than their four wheeled cousins. This applies even more so in the case of cruiser style bikes. Thats why one should never tailgate a motorcycle.
    Most four wheeled motorists don't know this, it's not their fault, since it isn't commonly known. Even some motorcyclists don't know it. It's just one reason why I use my mirrors much more while riding more than when driving. (something akin to situational awareness?)
    While the risks are greater, an experienced (talented) rider can easily out-brake the typical SUV.

So I'll throw this out there...it's very possible that any of us might run over a motorcyclist who would cut us off and proceed to brake checking.
    I don't worry about the bike behind me while I'm driving my SUV. If he's halfway on the ball, he will likely not rearend me.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    You're right, in general,most motorcycles have very much shorter stopping distances than their four wheeled cousins. This applies even more so in the case of cruiser style bikes. Thats why one should never tailgate a motorcycle.
    Most four wheeled motorists don't know this, it's not their fault, since it isn't commonly known. Even some motorcyclists don't know it. It's just one reason why I use my mirrors much more while riding more than when driving. (something akin to situational awareness?)
    While the risks are greater, an experienced (talented) rider can easily out-brake the typical SUV.

So I'll throw this out there...it's very possible that any of us might run over a motorcyclist who would cut us off and proceed to brake checking.
    I don't worry about the bike behind me while I'm driving my SUV. If he's halfway on the ball, he will likely not rearend me.

Truth. My sportbike stops on a dime, and I can slow down pretty quick just under engine braking...so not suprised when this fool cut over that close he ended up getting rearended.

Giving us sport bike riders a bad name :(

erice1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    South Carolina
    Truth. My sportbike stops on a dime, and I can slow down pretty quick just under engine braking...so not suprised when this fool cut over that close he ended up getting rearended.

Giving us sport bike riders a bad name :(

Agreed. I rode a sport bike for a couple years and that thing would stop fast. The mistake other guys made was placing themselves in front of the SUV. It is effectively in circling someone and leaving them no choice but to use force to escape.

Top Bottom