• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    So yesterday after 4 years of working there I was fired. Earlier that day I had a conversation with another person (one of our venders) whom I have been buddy's with on personal levels, about me looking for another job. I told him that I really wanted to go back into plumbing because it is what I really enjoy doing. He asked me why I was unhappy there, and if it were due to pay. I told him that I didn't think they pay me what I am worth but that wasn't the biggest reason.

I also told him that the main reason was that I didn't like the way things operated there.

Now, my boss already knew that I was looking to get back into plumbing, and had gone for a couple interviews already. No big deal. So about an hour before quitting time yesterday my boss called me into her office. She told me that she thought it was in their best interest that I not work there anymore. And they were letting me go.

Naturally I asked WHY? She replied with " you told a vendor that we don't pay you what you think your worth". And said that was unexceptable. LMAO. I said ok and walked out.

That is absolutely the most redicuolus reason I've ever heard. Now I am aware that she can fire me for no reason at all in IN. but she could have atleast come up with something better then that.

Let's hear some other redicuolus Reasons for being fired.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Was let go the day my now ex broke up with me. Turns out the boss that let me go had been sleeping around with her. He was twice her age married with 3 kids.

Side note, the best part was nobody could give me a reason why I was being let go. They were both fired by his wife on my 21st birthday. (He was part owner of the place we worked at.)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Less than one week after getting a 12% raise for a perfect review with "excellent" marked in every area of the "poor/fair/above average/excellent" questionnaire my boss filled out... I was fired for substandard work.
    It *just so happened* to coincide with the "restructuring" of the company handbook (which was actually the EXACT same handbook with one paragraph added concerning banning firearms on company property - that didn't exist before). I didn't sign the revised one after years of being employed there with a run of great reviews and raises on a regular bases.

By the way, that whole handbook change ---
    A coworker took the same NRA class with me and repeated (to the boss) the answers I gave to the instructor's questions about my intent to carry at work. All of the sudden, we got a new and improved handbook/policy.
    And in about four days I went from "stellar employee" to "schmuck who needs fired".

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "buddy"

Well, billyboy.

The reason you were fired may be ridiculous but you provided it! Sounds to me like you need to be a bit more careful in your selection of buddies!

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have heard alot of doozies. I was a victim of management needing a scapegoat. IMO most middle management are just trying to advance their stalled career and really don't care about their employees. Trying to prove they "can make the big decision" and get that promotion. The ones I have known tend to be miserable bastards.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Less than one week after getting a 12% raise for a perfect review with "excellent" marked in every area of the "poor/fair/above average/excellent" questionnaire my boss filled out... I was fired for substandard work.
    It *just so happened* to coincide with the "restructuring" of the company handbook (which was actually the EXACT same handbook with one paragraph added concerning banning firearms on company property - that didn't exist before). I didn't sign the revised one after years of being employed there with a run of great reviews and raises on a regular bases.

By the way, that whole handbook change ---
    A coworker took the same NRA class with me and repeated (to the boss) the answers I gave to the instructor's questions about my intent to carry at work. All of the sudden, we got a new and improved handbook/policy.
    And in about four days I went from "stellar employee" to "schmuck who needs fired".

Never, ever, ever share anything of that nature with a fellow employee. I have friends outside the work place for a reason....they will throw you under the bus for their own advancement. I never shoot or hunt or party with anyone I work with. It never seems to be a good idea.
    Had the same issue with carry in the work truck. Co-worker dropped dime on me for having a firearm in my truck. They "Changed" hand book and named the new rule after me. Not funny in the least. I packed my tools off the truck and moved on. The idiot that ratted me was robbed and beaten at knife point in an alley behind a customers building downtown a few months later. He should have kept his mouth shut and bought a gun........;)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So yesterday after 4 years of working there I was fired. Earlier that day I had a conversation with another person (one of our venders) whom I have been buddy's with on personal levels, about me looking for another job. I told him that I really wanted to go back into plumbing because it is what I really enjoy doing. He asked me why I was unhappy there, and if it were due to pay. I told him that I didn't think they pay me what I am worth but that wasn't the biggest reason.

I also told him that the main reason was that I didn't like the way things operated there.

Now, my boss already knew that I was looking to get back into plumbing, and had gone for a couple interviews already. No big deal. So about an hour before quitting time yesterday my boss called me into her office. She told me that she thought it was in their best interest that I not work there anymore. And they were letting me go.

Naturally I asked WHY? She replied with " you told a vendor that we don't pay you what you think your worth". And said that was unexceptable. LMAO. I said ok and walked out.

That is absolutely the most redicuolus reason I've ever heard. Now I am aware that she can fire me for no reason at all in IN. but she could have atleast come up with something better then that.

Apparently your buddy was better buddies with your boss. Just goes to show that you have to be very careful about whom you hang the "friend" label on. And this isn't meant as a dig on you BB. Sorry to hear it happened and hope things work out for you.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Never, ever, ever share anything of that nature with a fellow employee. I have friends outside the work place for a reason....they will throw you under the bus for their own advancement. I never shoot or hunt or party with anyone I work with. It never seems to be a good idea.
    Had the same issue with carry in the work truck. Co-worker dropped dime on me for having a firearm in my truck. They "Changed" hand book and named the new rule after me. Not funny in the least. I packed my tools off the truck and moved on. The idiot that ratted me was robbed and beaten at knife point in an alley behind a customers building downtown a few months later. He should have kept his mouth shut and bought a gun........;)

No worries. A few months after that, they had to close their doors. I don't know what the other people moved on to do, but I have a GREAT job now with a much better boss and I work with a super group of people. Things happen for a reason... and I'm OK with that. :)

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Apparently your buddy was better buddies with your boss. Just goes to show that you have to be very careful about whom you hang the "friend" label on. And this isn't meant as a dig on you BB. Sorry to hear it happened and hope things work out for you.

Yea, I had to laugh at that one. We were not really friends, never hung or talked outside of work. We were just buddy's at work. It didn't surprise me I guess, as he wanted in my bosses pants anyway. Maybe he thought throwing me under the buss would help him out. Lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No worries. A few months after that, they had to close their doors. I don't know what the other people moved on to do, but I have a GREAT job now with a much better boss and I work with a super group of people. Things happen for a reason... and I'm OK with that. :)

Instant Karma......

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We are looking for a plumber but Our outfit is based in Indy.
    PM me with your experience and skill levels, how old, years at the trade, etc.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    They fired me at Frito Lay for not turning my sweatshirt with writing on it inside out.
    It didn't help that I a refused when they would not make others turn their Purdue sweatshirts inside out. :rolleyes:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    That blows. I concur with other about speaking your mind with so-called "buddies." I have been fortunate enough to have never been fired in my about 25 year history of working... but that's probably because I change jobs when I see "the writing on the wall." Also been lucky ("blessed"?) so that every job change I've ever made has resulted in an increase in pay. My best advise... Don't show your cards, EVER, to anyone. And if you see the ship sinking ... get off that ship.
    Best to you on your job quest.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Was let go the day my now ex broke up with me. Turns out the boss that let me go had been sleeping around with her. He was twice her age married with 3 kids.

Side note, the best part was nobody could give me a reason why I was being let go. They were both fired by his wife on my 21st birthday. (He was part owner of the place we worked at.)
    DAMN dude! That's rough!

As for the OP, yeah, your "buddy" sucks, and needs an ass kicking. I'm glad I work at a place that has no rules and doesn't care what you do as long as the stuff rolls out the door.:n00b:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Makes me almost glad that Im still in the Army, then again, with the way congress is cutting us up, I might just be let go because im no longer in the budget, might have to come up with something more creative when the time comes,

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Sooooo....now you can get back into plumbing. They fixed your problem for you. Just do it!

Folks, we don't live to work, we work to make a living. Having just went a year and a half without a job, I came to the realization that what I do for a living does not define who I am. Now I have a good job, making OK money, but one that will allow me to go make a living so that my wife and I can have a life. Have I had better jobs making more money--you betcha, but we are blessed and I'm OK with that. You do what you gotta do friend. Some days the only choice we have is our choice of attitude. Blessings.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    you so called friend is a a hole, make sure you tank him a lot, on the other hand do not talk bad so open about the company you work for, i will be **** also is some of my employees is taking s*** about me or my company, i will fire then also, even do i think i am a sh ...ty boss.

so do not take personal, is just a early oportunity to follow up you plans, so go ahead and you will be better.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    oh boy.. i cant wait to type up this novel.. so its going to paraphrase.

i slept with girl at work. good times right? oh well. all was well.

she started dating guy on the same line i worked. he got lippy and whatnot.

she and him conjured up the idea that i was running my mouth to the people working on line about our intimate times. obviously not the truth.

well.. any woman who screams sexual harassment wins... so i got fired.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Life is too short!

Sooooo....now you can get back into plumbing. They fixed your problem for you. Just do it!

Folks, we don't live to work, we work to make a living. Having just went a year and a half without a job, I came to the realization that what I do for a living does not define who I am. Now I have a good job, making OK money, but one that will allow me to go make a living so that my wife and I can have a life. Have I had better jobs making more money--you betcha, but we are blessed and I'm OK with that. You do what you gotta do friend. Some days the only choice we have is our choice of attitude. Blessings.

You hit it! That is why I left aviation after thirty years to go back to work as a carpenter at about one quarter my former salary but 100% happier to go to work everyday! It is also why I am,"retired", now at 63 so that I can do the types of work and play that I enjoy the most. The kids are grown and gone and my remaining years are too few to live for someone else. :)

Top Bottom