• Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The SVT Sorok.

SVT40_1.jpg

If you want the easy way around the Ruger, then I recommend the Majestic Arms Speed Strip. I've been putting them in all my Ruger .22s since the mid-90s. Tell, Dino, Kirk said "hi".

Majestic Arms, LTD.

SpeedStripKit.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No problems

Only time I've had real trouble with a MK Ruger pistol was putting a rcvr from a MKII slabside on a 22/45 frame. Mainspring just wouldn't close. Finally figured out that I needed to relieve the hook that catches the back of the rcvr inside the tube. Too much metal in the way. It works fine now. I HAVE had some guns that after a close look, I had the good sense not to take them apart.:rockwoot::D

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    If you want the easy way around the Ruger, then I recommend the Majestic Arms Speed Strip. I've been putting them in all my Ruger .22s since the mid-90s. Tell, Dino, Kirk said "hi".

Majestic Arms, LTD.

Wow! That sure looks easy! The website says the new Mark III kit lightens the trigger pull also. Does making this kind of mod void the warranty on the pistol? I was thinking that after a few tries it will get easier to field strip it, but this looks too tempting!

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Plainfield M1 Carbine with those damn duel recoil springs! Gets to the point that you don't want to clean it properly or just not shoot it.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive been trying for three days to get the trigger assembly out of my CD hi-power....so I hope it goes back together easier if I ever get it apart.

Cant comment on any other guns though...I dont dare touch my browning,...dont wanna screw it up.

God bless
    -Shred

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I had put the magazine in backwards and it jammed in the well. I took the grips off, tried everything, and realized that the only way to get the mag out now is to completely disassemble the pistol. I'm not about to do that, since I couldn't even put the bolt and mainspring housing assembly back together properly.

So my new Mark III paperweight is in a box waiting to be sent back to Ruger for repair and reassembly as a pistol again. The service rep said, "Oh no, don't try it yourself. It's even hard for the techs to do that. You have to start by taking all the pins out of the pistol and completely disassemble it."

Welcome 2 the club of MK3 owners. I did that same mistake the 1st time I took the gun apart. I jammed the mag backwards but was able to get it out with a flathead screwdriver pushing downward after taking off the grips. I was however NOT able to put the gun back together the first time. Too it to a gunsmith (Guthridge, Griffith, IN) who also had a hard time trying to get the barrel/bolt back in. Lots of nice words he told the gun. :D Finally took an air compressor and blasted the barrel/bolt inside and that causes some of the "paint lining" to remove itself from the inside of the gun and that was the issue holding the bolt back.

He told me NEVER EVER to disassmble the bottom part (where the trigger is at) since it's a royal pain to put back together.

Yep, I've got one of those too.

I took it apart; once.

Now I settle for just dumping CLP into it when it acts up. Its a target pistol, so if it jams occasionally, I'll deal with it. Its easier than trying to take it apart.

One of the best .22 pistols out there....except for this whole "disassembly" thing...

THIS ^! I now use aViper BoreSnake for the barrel and blast the inside with CLP.

Gosh ....and I wanted a Ruger Mklll..........

Don't let this topic move you away from one. They are a nice plinker gun and great for beginner shoots since it's a .22 and heavy (very little recoil).

Majestic Arms, LTD.

SpeedStripKit.jpg

You beat me to it! I have been looking into this but just can't justify it yet.

I've take mine apart 2 time and the second time it was a bit easier so perhaps it does get easier with time as you break the gun in but not sure.
    Thinking the boresnape CLP blast may be the way to go cheapest method since this is just a plinker/starter gun for me anyways.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I have a Mark I and it is the Granddaddy PIA field stripping and putting back together. I usually end up having someone help me put it back together. But I love the gun. :dunno:
    Someone told me to look at a Mark III. Now I wonder if that is such a good idea.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Personally - Kel-Tec SUB2000. Ask KEHO about that one.
    We have a winner, I swapped triggers on mine, "reassembled" it 4 times and OMG it's still not right. It works but the trigger has to be pushed forward between shots. I am not taking it apart again to fix it...

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    Have the Ruger MK1 and MKII and they are just as bad, great shooters just terrible to clean and reassemble. They are both in pieces and ready for shipment to Ruger for reassembly. Maybe this is a Ruger conspiracy to get us all to pay for weapon assembly. Keeps them in business.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    IMO, the only trick to the Mark III is to remember that the hammer has to be forward/uncocked to take it apart and rearward/cocked to put it together.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Yep I too am a member of the MK III reassembly club. I got mine together but the mainspring was not in properly. I had to do the hit the barrel hard on floor while holding trigger to get the hammer in proper position. Thank God for the internet to find the tip.

First rule for the MK III --- Do not try to dissassemble unless you are in the presence of someone who has done it before!!! Then you'll be fine. They are great shooters.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Anybody ever detail strip an M-60?

509 was probably the last unit in the army with them in '07.
    Reassembling the bolt would always screw people up.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    IMO, the only trick to the Mark III is to remember that the hammer has to be forward/uncocked to take it apart and rearward/cocked to put it together.

I imagine that once I've succesfully done it once, it will get easier each time. Next time, I follow the video step by step from the beginning!

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Ruger MK3, TARGET model....tighter tolerances than the standard models, good luck

I have a buddys MK III Target right now. I took it apart once and had little to no trouble reassemling. Then took apart again and just about went crazy on the mainspring. I am going to return it and say GOOD LUCK. Youtube helped a lot.:yesway:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Ruger Mark III. Great shooters. Youtube and one hour later I had it back together. Any gun you have to whack with a rubber mallet to disassemble and reassemble has to rank up there in the difficult list.

Top Bottom