• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    difficult

Handgun wise, at least for me it is the Ruger Mark III. Totally irritating. Granted, it may have been because it was brand new, but i spent 3 hours trying to put that SOB back together.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I have taken mine apart once. That beautiful pistol will probably sit in its box till I die... Too much trouble for me to put back together. The problem lies where I have always wanted one. Even though I'll probably never shoot it again, I can't bring myself to get rid of it... Weird, right?

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Winchester Model 100

I have seen a video of it disassembled on YouTube and will do this very thing this weekend, but the reassembly should be quite interesting!

Lots of pins and things resting on top of other things and springs on top of other springs and gas tubes inside other gas tubes. . .

Not going to be fun!

However, it will make me feel a bit more like George Clooney in "The American" where the only interesting part of the movie was where he was working on that Ruger Mini-14! Not that I aspire to be George Clooney or anything, but it's always fun exploring the innards of a firearm!

Vanguard.45

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    For me the hardest thing to re-assemble is/was a 1911/its clones knock offs. Seems no matter how many times I try I always end up cutting myself on something (and since half the ones I own are mil-surplus I have come to the conclusion... cosmoline HURTS when rubbed into cuts)...

The mark 3 wasnt that bad though... I just went real slow and followed the video to the letter.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Am I the only one that thinks the mark III is not that bad at all? :tumbleweed:
    No, I also think it's pretty easy. Read the instructions to get it right, then strip it often so you remember how to do it and get good practice. It's really that easy. It also helps if you replace the mag safety with a MKII bushing. This eliminates the stupidity of having a mag safety and it eliminates the need for you to constantly put the mag in, take it out, put it back in while stripping the MKIII. You just pull the trigger when it's time and you're GTG. It also makes your mags drop free.

IMHO, if you're going to modify anything on the MKIII, do the mag safety first.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    No, I have to agree. It is however, a little more difficult that most others I have taken apart and put back together.
    Late last year I installed a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit in my Mark III. I used a detailed strip writeup with pictures from the internet as opposed to the user manual. It went great. Piece of cake.
    :dunno:

Cheers.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For me it was the 1911. I have field striped a lot of handguns. Dad wanted me to clean the 1911 he used to own. I got the slide off and did not have a bushing tool, as I did not know it had one. Put the slide back on, and put the slide release in wrong. The slide would not even move. He had to take it to a gunsmith. I will never touch another 1911.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    No, you're not the only one. I think I can take mine apart and then reassemble in a matter a couple of minutes. However, mine is broken in.

I know another that had one brand new, shot it at the range one time and then I agreed to help field strip, clean, and reassemble. Should be easy since mine is...right? Not the case. We could not get the mainspring housing to insert fully. It was awful and I felt bad. He took it back to the shop and they had to finish the assembly.

I am convinced though that it gets easier with each use of the gun. Buy a couple boxes of Stingers and run them trough the gun. Don't let it just sit in a safe because of reassembly issues.

Top Bottom