• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I am not slamming on you, but this gave me a gut check when I read it. :) I was in either 8th or 9th grade when cable first arrived. We lived in a rural area of our county and never had cable access.

I remember MTV's initial appearance on cable, and how it blew everyone away by changing the way we thought about music.

I remember watching the "late movie" and the "late late movie" on the regular tv channels at night. Then the playing of the National Anthem, followed by the "test pattern" until 5:00 or 6:00 A.M. the next morning. Watching the tv stations go off the air always left me with the feeling that I was watching the world shut down and then re-awaken in the early hours of the day. I guess that is why the movies I watched as a kid stick in my mind so much. The Westerns. James Bond. Godzilla. The various police shows (One Adam Twelve?)

Re-runs did not occur very frequently so, when I watched an interesting movie, I tried to absorb the content as deeply as I could. Now, I see the same movie repeated frequently on the same channel or played on several channels within hours or days of one another.

I don't feel old, but I guess I'm getting there. :D

Preachin to the choir son! I remember the same things. Sammy Terry on the weekends! Combat, 12 O Clock High, Garrisons Gorrilas, and of course RAT PATROL!!! The had some killer driving shooting scenes. Always wondered how those M2 .50s blew up tanks! LOl. Troy with his cocked Aussie hat and low slung holster for his 1911. I always wanted to be in the Rat Patrol....:laugh:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Gotta side with Harry Callahan on this one ". . .the most powerful handgun in the world". While I'm a huge fan of WWII hardware how many sheeple recognize an M1 for what it is or know what type of big loop lever action the rifleman carried? I drive the GF crazy knocking on the way the hand out weapons in the movies. We watched about a half hour of the most recent iteration of "Land of the Lost" and I couldn't help but point out the M1 Garands, Carbines and 1911s the crew of the U-boat was armed with. Not a Mauser or Luger to be seen anywhere!!!!!

jefalatho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    So many to chose from but there is one that I haven't seen listed yet. The Franchi SPAS-12. Good looking shotgun. Auto or pump all in one gun. The Governator carried it in Terminator plus you see it in a bunch of SciFi movies.

Used to have one. Still can't believe I sold it.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    How could I have forgotten the Franchi SPAS-12!? Literally one of the best looking shotguns out there. I've always wanted one until I held one. By far one of the heaviest guns ever created. Secretly, I think i'm still going to get one someday

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    The one that stuck for me was the nose-cannon on Blue Thunder.

I had a similar thought.

airwolf.jpg

ipsize.jpg

In fact, Santa brought me all 3 seasons (the 4th fake season doesn't count) of Airwolf this past Christmas. My young son loves to watch it as well.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thompson submachine gun in 45acp with a drum magazine.

Dirty Harry's Smith 29 would be second place.

His line in the first movie about "powerful hand gun... will blow your head clean off.." first it's not true but it also conflicts with his statement later in Magnum Force claiming he "uses special light loads because he finds it gives him more control and accuracy". He says it during the combat pistol competition where he borrows the bad cops model 19 and fires a round in to the door frame he can retrieve for ballistics.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    OCSDOR, I have the AirWolf series, too!

My opinion is that the Bell 222 is the most beautiful helicopter ever made.

That television show used most of the Communist weapons available at the time, every "foreign" country using them to blow up most every building and vehicle in sight.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    How could I have forgotten the Franchi SPAS-12!? Literally one of the best looking shotguns out there. I've always wanted one until I held one. By far one of the heaviest guns ever created. Secretly, I think i'm still going to get one someday

One of the only guns I've ever sold - what a pile of junk. lol

How about the Bren gun in 'Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels'?

brengirl.JPG

And who can forget the Barrett in 'Smokin' Aces'?

smokin2.jpg

...and speaking of that film, on first viewing Alicia Keys arming up almost caused me to AD. :-)

keyes-smokin-aces-300a012307.jpg

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Gotta side with Harry Callahan on this one ". . .the most powerful handgun in the world". While I'm a huge fan of WWII hardware how many sheeple recognize an M1 for what it is or know what type of big loop lever action the rifleman carried? I drive the GF crazy knocking on the way the hand out weapons in the movies. We watched about a half hour of the most recent iteration of "Land of the Lost" and I couldn't help but point out the M1 Garands, Carbines and 1911s the crew of the U-boat was armed with. Not a Mauser or Luger to be seen anywhere!!!!!

Yeah, this was how I approached the question in the OP. As gun guys we probably all know the "proper" names and designations for the guns we're seeing on the screen. The rest of the populace? Not so much

Top Bottom