• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'm going with a different approach and say the one you can out of your pocket quick and hit what your aiming at. I'd rather be missed by a .45 than hit with a .22!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't know for sure what you consider a "pocket" gun. I carry a Colt Double Eagle 45 ACP (8 + 1 round) in a inside the belt Uncle Mike holster in the small of my back. As has been stated your ability to accurately hit your target is one of the most important things. I have shot about 5K rounds through my gun in the last 20 years. One issue - many claim the 45 ACP is not as accurate as some of the other calibers - I agree, but in any event I can foresee that I would be justified in shooting a person he would have to be a short distance from me - I think it would be real hard to convince the police or a jury that I was shooting a person in self defense at 50 yards or even 75 feet. I would bet my life on the fact (and do) that I can put 100% of my rounds in a man sized target at 100 feet. Yes I do own other handguns ~ .357 Colt King Cobra, Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC, Colt Anaconda .44 mag, .38 Derringer .22 mag Derringer, .22 Semi autos, .380 Semi autos, 9mm Semi Autos, 9 mm Largo, and even 7.62 x 25 (TTC), 7.62 X 38R (Nagant). IMHO although the modern ammo does make most handguns larger than 22 Cal lethal at short range, the 45 ACP with anti personnel rounds is one of the best due to the greater size and weight of the round. It has been proven throughout 2 world wars with ball ammo, and is even more effective with modern cartridges. My gun is VERY reliable and to my memory has never failed to function or fire in all the rounds I have ran through the gun. It has NO safety's except for a de-cocker and is single /double action. They do make compact versions of the 45 ACP, although I have never fired one.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    on occasion i carry my ruger vaquero bisley (large frame), with the corbon 250gr hp's. never felt under gunned with only 6rds.

would buy another to have a "matched" set. 5 /2" barrel is a good compromise between 4 5/8 vs. 7 1/2"

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Calling this a "pocket" gun is streching it a wee bit, but get a decent IWB holster and you can not go wrong with a 10mm Glock 29 SF (OP, the SF stands for short frame)

Here is a link to it's specs, Glock 29 SF | G29 SF | 10mm Pistol | GLOCK USA

Glock29SF-11.jpg

And as ThrottleJockey posted, just bigger :D

BulletinGellatinComparison.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    For pocket carry.
    I assume you already own a big gun/big caliber you like, otherwise you would not specify "pocket gun" because who in the hell wants to, by choice carry a gun in your pocket?

I only do it when I am wearing shorts and a T shirt and the guns are .380. The main issue is small, light weight and out of sight out of mind. In today's market I see no reason to even buy a .380 when there are now micro 9mm's just as small and even air weight revolvers in .357. Neither of which are fun to shoot but are better than an empty pocket and a bare fist.

If pocket is only being used a descriptor and what you really you want is a micro sized dealer of death balls of flames and lead coming from a palm sized gun, 10mm would win for compact and capacity, .357 for longer range.

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    The best advice I can give is go to a firing range that does rentals and spend some time shooting a few different pistols that are the size you are looking for. Test them in out in a couple different calibers and use a few different ammo types and do some hands-on style homework. The internet is helpful, but I wouldn't trust it more than my own personal experience.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Most power in the smallest package is going to be a .357 snub nose revolver. Pocket carry might be tough but doable.

+1. pocket carry is a *****. i prefer IWB for my LCR, only shows a hint of the grip, which could easily be a cell phone or something. maybe back pocket is feasible, in a wallet holster thingo, but i prefer not having wallet shaped things in my back pocket. just me that.
    if all youre concerned about is being mugged, or carjacked, a snubbie really is the way to go.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glock 29 - 10mm loaded with hot Underwood Bonded JHP ammo.

(Near 800 lbs of muzzle energy)

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    And as ThrottleJockey posted, just bigger :D

BulletinGellatinComparison.jpg

I've seen this photo online for years, and I just wonder how legit it really is. Everything seems okay until you look at the mushroom-cloud fireball at around 7" into the 10mm track. This needs vetting or at least accompanying data not represented here IMHO. :scratch:

"pocket?" probably a .357 revolver, or a .40 auto if you don't want to go the 10mm route. Do whatever you want though, there's tons of suggestions in this thread already.

Top Bottom