• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't think you're going to find a .45LC pocket gun unless you've got really big pockets.

Most pocket guns are going to be .22, .25, .32, .38, .357, .380, or 9mm. Of those, I'd go with .38 or 9mm. .380 and .357 would be my second choice. .38s/9mm are still very controllable for follow up shots and aren't as punishing to practice with. .357s see some gain in velocity, even in snubbies, but at greatly increased recoil. Few people will actually practice with .357s to any degree. .380 is expensive and is basically a lower powered 9mm. .32 and smaller lacks stopping power if you run into a determined attacker who won't stop for the pyschological stop or if there is an intermediate barrier.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Snub nosed 500 magnum. I hear a Cross Breed "Super Tuck" can hide anything, even if you're only 5 foot tall and 100 pounds... Though from a practical, real world stand point a 50AE Deagle would probably be just as effective. Either way you go, you will want to load up with light weight hollow points to maximize cavitation.

More seriously... why do you care about "damage" (whatever that means) instead of loaded weight, recoil, or accuracy - you know, the things that actually impact how a gun carries and shoots?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A .45 LC wouldn't even be on my radar. Are you thinking of a Judge style pocket gun? A 410/.45LC combo? Like others have said, you can find a .357 in a variety of sizes. Ditto 9mm. I carry a .44 Special in a snubby revolver. It would more than do the job, if I should need it. I'm thinking of a newer pocket gun and will likely go with another .357 in a revolver. That way I can use .38's and magnum rounds.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    There are a bunch of 380's and 9's that are very concealable, but in my opinion lack the punch of hotter calibers. Depending on the gun, you might have a great pocket gun, or one that kicks significantly (I've shot an older Smith 9mm that has a kick equivalent to a 45!). If you go with a revolver, anything bigger than a 357 will probably be too bulky to pocket carry. Personally, I carry a 357 snubby that doesn't kick all that bad, but it's a bit heavy by the end of the day.

There will always be a compromise between concealablity, firepower, and weight--you can't max out all three. I'd say 357 is hard to beat, but others swear by their choices as well, so it comes down to what YOU feel you're comfortable with for your own protection.

:twocents:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I can't believe someone hasn't posted this yet. :rolleyes:

Larger caliber doesn't always mean more damage friend. You want a pocket pistol, find one you like and carry it.

handgun_gel_comparison1.jpg

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Been a while since I have shot a 10mm. I can't see using it as a deep conceal piece, but man that gel shot looks awesome.

What I have seen is that a .357 mag snub doesn't do much more than a .38 +p snub round. Easier for follow ups and all that with the smaller round.

Now I only carry a snub revolver on me if I am walking out to the garage or in the yard for a quick trip. Otherwise I have a full sized .40 S&W because I can hit with it better than the compact version that I used to carry.

Doesn't matter what round you use if you can't print with it. Well, maybe except for the 10mm because it sucks the life out of people just getting close.

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    In my noobish opinion, I'd say for semi-autos, a 10mm or a .357Sig would both be great. Ammo is expensiveish, but both have great power. Perhaps a 10mm glock, whatever frame size you feel comfy with, and get a .357Sig conversion barrel and a .40S&W conversion barrel. Or maybe a Caracal, they have on their site that they will be making .357Sig and .40S&W versions soon. I hope someone makes a .40-.357 conversion barrel for that Caracal model when it's out. A .40-9mm conversion barrel would also be nice. And with how softly people say the 9mm Caracal F shoots, that may lower the snappiness of the .40.

Revolvers? Well, whatever you can shoot, start there, chop some barrel off a bit at a time.

Top Bottom