• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    Been a while since I had a mossburg 500 12 g .. My question is to shoot a slug from a 28 inch smooth barel what choke was it you are to use ... the mod or the full?:ingo:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW you can also buy rifled choke tubes.
    For a Mossbger 500, the choke system is called "Accuchoke" and is the same as the Winchester "Winchoke", Browning "Invector" and a few others.
    Mossberg "Accumag" choke system is different, longer choketubes, came out with the 835. Browning "Invector Plus" are also longer.

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-style-details.php?rifled-choke-tubes&cts=25
    Rifled_Choke_005.jpg

Last edited:

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Slugs and chokes

Theoritically you want as little constriction at the muzzle as possible when shooting shotgun slugs..improved cylinder ....cylinder bore..... or the rifled choke tube in the previous post is also an excellent choice. The theory is that the more restrictive the choke, the more likely it will deform and destabilize the slug when it exits the muzzle. Over the past 40 years I have seen slugs that were fired from full choke or modified choke guns that performed well.....and other full choke or modified choke guns that did not.....my point is...that every gun / load is different.....from one model to another ...one brand to another.....best thing to do, is see what works best in your gun with what load you intend to shoot. I have harvested over a dozen deer with a 16 ga. bolt action with a modified choke.....it performed quite well. I have also harvested deer with a Mossberg 500 with the slug barrel with rifle sights using Federal & Brenneke slugs.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my old Remington 870 Wingmaster deer gun with Remchoke bbl shot OK with WW fosters.
    However, it did lead up rather quickly and would get fliers after a while. I'm talking several inches left or right of the aiming point, at 50 yards.

I'd foul it for a shot, then go for group, put about the next 8 right in there. Then it'd hit the X, then throw one wide. Then X, another X and then maybe toss one wide again (same direction or opposite).

Removed the choke tube, scrubbed it, fired a fouler and it was back on the mark for the next 8 or so shots.

I think a sabot slug plastic might foul less, didn't try them in that rig though.

What's nice about the choketube is that you just unscrew it, clean, and put back in.
    No need to remove the barrel, or even really clean it.

The foster slugs were at max velocity when they engaged the choketube's rifling. I think that why the smear a bit hefty after a while.

Love my Remingtons, my fave slug guns had rifled bores and shot very well. However, after testing 2 choke tube slug guns............I'd have to say my fixed choke smoothbore Mossberg 500's shot as good if not better. Of course they didn't offer the option of screwing in a turkey or coyote choketube like my 870 and 1100 did.

If one wants a deer/turkey combo with one barrel, and the option of an open choke for HD, kinda hard to beat a choketubed system.

My current HD rig is an 870 Supermag turkey model. I have a rifled choke tube but haven't tested it. It did OK with regular Imp Cyl and reduced recoil Remington fosters, when we zeroed it for my kid.

Top Bottom