• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    a couple months back I purchase a used mossberg 500 20ga pump shotgun.

It accepts 2-3/4" and 3" shells. If I cycle a 2-3/4" shell while I have the gun pointing up, it jams. The shell slides back against the bolt and somehow jams it open. It will only close if the shell is mostly forward.

I haven't tried any 3" shells in it yet.

I just wondered if this is normal for these shotguns or what.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I bought a used Mossy 500 20ga about a year ago for my son... in great, almost unused, condition. The thing seems to jam up at will regularly, when clearing a spent shell the front rim of the next shell loading gets caught on the elevator assembly.

I either have to use a good deal of force to remove the stuck round or take off the barrel and partially disassemble the action.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem and/or does anyone have a fix for this. Thanks.

ps- sorry about the thread hijack :)

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The only problem I have ever had with that gun was the elevator wore out (part that lifts the shells up for chambering) I bought a new one locally, snapped it in and was good to go.
    I have over 30 years of use on mine btw.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I bought a used Mossy 500 20ga about a year ago for my son... in great, almost unused, condition. The thing seems to jam up at will regularly, when clearing a spent shell the front rim of the next shell loading gets caught on the elevator assembly.

I either have to use a good deal of force to remove the stuck round or take off the barrel and partially disassemble the action.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem and/or does anyone have a fix for this. Thanks.

ps- sorry about the thread hijack :)
    no harm no foul

BillWesOU

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I tried to send you a PM but I didn't have enough posts. I just joined this forum after reading the thread you started about the Mossberg that jammed when when pointed up. I have been trying to find others with this problem and this is the only thread i could find. It has bugged me because everyone talks about the good reliability of the 500. I don't use my 500 much and it's old enough that warranty is up but it still bothers me that I have a gun that jams. I have tried to get my friends 500's to jam but the shell won't wedge up against the bolt like mine. Just wondered if you came up with a solution, or if you sent yours back what did Mossberg say. I contacted Mossberg and they said they never heard of this issue.

Top Bottom