• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    When my son got his Mosin over the weekend he was excited that he was able to get the rifle for the same price as two new release video games. Since he beats most games in the first day or two & plays them little afterwards the Mosin was a much better investment.

Guns are alot more fun to shoot in real life, than in a game:D

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I know a lot of people are down on the guns because so many were made. It doesn't matter if they made one or one billion of them, they are sweet looking guns. I look at it this way. We paid $119 for the gun & all the accessories. It's a 1932. Surely if he ever decides to sell it he could get his money back. If he had picked a modern gun wouldn't it be worth less if decided to sell it? I think I will always pick old vintage over modern just because of the quality craftsmanship & the real wood.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The best $100 gun out there and and with a quick refinishing of the stock and a little touch up they look great too.

picture.php

As far as cleaning goes, Hoppes #9 dissolves and neutralizes corrosive salts, (says so right on the bottle). Just run a wet bore mop down the barrel a few times and your good. I do follow it up with Ballistol since it's slightly alkaline and leaves a nice oil coating on the bore. I haven't had a problem yet and it's lot less messy than running water down the barrel.
    album.php

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some of the most satisfying shooting I've done has been with a Mosin. They are addictive though. It's difficult to not buy another one when you see something interesting and it costs less than taking the family out to dinner. Right now, there are enough Mosins in the house that we have them standing in corners in the dining room, basement, man cave and that's not counting the ones displayed on wall racks and in safes. I really need to sell a couple just to reduce the Mosin clutter. My two favorites are a Finnish M91/30 and my M38. I might put a couple up for sale to help with Christmas shopping.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The best $100 gun out there and and with a quick refinishing of the stock and a little touch up they look great too.

picture.php

As far as cleaning goes, Hoppes #9 dissolves and neutralizes corrosive salts, (says so right on the bottle). Just run a wet bore mop down the barrel a few times and your good. I do follow it up with Ballistol since it's slightly alkaline and leaves a nice oil coating on the bore. I haven't had a problem yet and it's lot less messy than running water down the barrel.
    album.php
    Wow, yours look like a mirror image of mine!

IMG_1013.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some of the most satisfying shooting I've done has been with a Mosin. They are addictive though. It's difficult to not buy another one when you see something interesting and it costs less than taking the family out to dinner. Right now, there are enough Mosins in the house that we have them standing in corners in the dining room, basement, man cave and that's not counting the ones displayed on wall racks and in safes. I really need to sell a couple just to reduce the Mosin clutter. My two favorites are a Finnish M91/30 and my M38. I might put a couple up for sale to help with Christmas shopping.
    A Finn is definitely on my wish list. They've had one at Bradis for awhile, but they're a little saltier ($$) than the run-of-the-mill 91/30's. ($299 if I remember correctly)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Pshh...my first Mauser was around $45, another one was $100 or $125 and another one was $125. The $100 and $125 ones were within the past year. They aren't extremely pretty (both have plenty of character from being handled) they've got nice, pretty bores. Mosins aren't bad but not my first choice and to those saying they kick pretty bad, even an M44 felt pretty tame to me.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Pshh...my first Mauser was around $45, another one was $100 or $125 and another one was $125. The $100 and $125 ones were within the past year. They aren't extremely pretty (both have plenty of character from being handled) they've got nice, pretty bores. Mosins aren't bad but not my first choice and to those saying they kick pretty bad, even an M44 felt pretty tame to me.

Ah, but when but when you figure in the price of ammo the Mosin wins. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

The dollar does not go as far now as it did when Mausers could be bought for $45. That $45 Mauser will run you at least $200 today, if not almost twice that.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a few Mosins like shooting them an like the fact ammo is so cheap, but I love my Mauser's just sucks ammo has gotten so stupid on price

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana

picture.php

album.php

RobF82 what did you end up buying?

A quick refinishing to a $100.00 gun makes it a $50.00 gun ...
    Refinishing any Military Surplus firearms will ruin the collector value and make it only worth the sum of parts.

manygunsmike

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    RobF82 what did you end up buying?

A quick refinishing to a $100.00 gun makes it a $50.00 gun ...
    Refinishing any Military Surplus firearms will ruin the collector value and make it only worth the sum of parts.

manygunsmike

I have mixed feelings about this ^^^. If you're getting the gun only with collecting in mind (as an investment), then yeah, I'd agree. However, if you're buying it as a shooter, and you just want to spruce it up, then go for it. I didn't have to do anything to my 91/30 (other than the usual cosmoline removal), as it was in nearly new condition right off the bat. My T53 however, was beat to hell, missing the sling and cleaning rod, and I was going to be shooting it, so I don't regret the "restore" work I did on it. Just depends on the individual's intended purpose for the gun I guess. :dunno: The Argentine Mauser I just got was in pretty good shape, and I got it to be a shooter as well, but didn't need to do any refinishing (and no cosmoline). Just cleaned up the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap and lemon oil and did a little rust remediation on the barrel with some 0000 steel wool, oiled it and let it go at that.

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    I have mixed feelings about this ^^^. If you're getting the gun only with collecting in mind (as an investment), then yeah, I'd agree. However, if you're buying it as a shooter, and you just want to spruce it up, then go for it. I didn't have to do anything to my 91/30 (other than the usual cosmoline removal), as it was in nearly new condition right off the bat. My T53 however, was beat to hell, missing the sling and cleaning rod, and I was going to be shooting it, so I don't regret the "restore" work I did on it. Just depends on the individual's intended purpose for the gun I guess. :dunno: The Argentine Mauser I just got was in pretty good shape, and I got it to be a shooter as well, but didn't need to do any refinishing (and no cosmoline). Just cleaned up the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap and lemon oil and did a little rust remediation on the barrel with some 0000 steel wool, oiled it and let it go at that.

Well they are your guns and you could do what you want to them so there shouldnt be any mixed feelings about that . I collect Military surplus and the original post was about buying a Mosin... I was offering a warning to the original poster about refinishing of military guns because I have come across more then enough restored pieces of crap over the years because someone who thought that a beat up T53 was not a new clean looking Remchester .

manygunsmike

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well they are your guns and you could do what you want to them so there shouldnt be any mixed feelings about that . I collect Military surplus and the original post was about buying a Mosin... I was offering a warning to the original poster about refinishing of military guns because I have come across more then enough restored pieces of crap over the years because someone who thought that a beat up T53 was not a new clean looking Remchester .

manygunsmike
    Fair enough! :) (and :): @ "Remchester")

Catfish33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Clifford, In
    Some guys here at work and I bought 6 M44's about 4 years ago and paid jsut over $60 a piece for these rifles. Mine shoots as good as almost any of my other rifles, but man does the carbine kick.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom