• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • other guy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Thinkin about grabbing a mosin this next month.

Every now and then Midwest Guns in Mishawaka has them on sale for $79.99 . you can't hardly buy a 22 for that. They are fun to shoot. you can buy surplus ammo at Sportsman Guide for under a $100 for 440 rounds incluning shipping. Comes out to about .25 a round compared to almost a buck a round for a 30-06. I took mine and used a piece of steel wool and a dollar bottle of finger nail polish remover ( acetone) from Dollar General and stripped the stock down and applied a coat of flat polyeurathane . It really made it look nice. I've had a lot of fun with mine. If you go the 22 route, I seen here on the forum where Cabela's is going to have a Black Friday special on a Ruger 10/22 for $169 which is a good price for a great 22 semi-auto. Whichever way you go I hope you enjoy your purchase. Have fun......

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    I keep seeing this Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R everytime I go to Bud's online. Anyone own one and give advice as to whether its worth owning?

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    They are worth owning, but do your research first. I bought my first, a '41, on impulse for $99. The action was nice, it was clean, and numbers matched, but I didn't know anything about picking a "good" mosin. My second was a '34 that I got from the same place, also for $99. The '34 has a hex receiver, nice pre-war machining, and is in pristine shape. While the '41 is a great shooter, it doesn't hold a candle to the '34.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I keep seeing this Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R everytime I go to Bud's online. Anyone own one and give advice as to whether its worth owning?

Many of us on here have a model 91/30

I first shot one at an INGO meetup awhile back and knew after the first shot that I had to have one! Bought one for myself three days later :D
    Cheap price, cheap ammo, accurate, loud, fireball, and fun to shoot! :rockwoot:

Now I need an M44 to keep her company :D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For $100 or less why not? They are certainly not a new rifle and if you are going to deck it all out you would probably be better off buying a modern rifle, but they are cheap to buy and shoot.

RobF82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Rossville IN
    You may have already done your research but go to surplusrifle.com and get somewhat familiar with the main models. (M91/30, M38, M44...). For the money it is a real blast.

The comparison to .22's I would think is only because you can get a 22 for the same price point and they both are often used as a plinking gun. Other than that there is really no comparison.

I'm not saying one is better than the other but this is a real apples and oranges situation. I have a preference but to compare them without any bias...One throws a fireball downrange that is visible in broad daylight and has MANY million brothers out there that were also made to be a battle implement during a very significant time in history. The other is often used by children to learn to shoot well and can be purchased in pink if you prefer.
    Doogh! I tried to not be biased, but I think it showed through in my writing. I hope it isn't too obvious.:D

Ha no I can't tell which one you prefer. Point taken. Initially the history attached to it is what got me interested my buddy has one and tells me they are a blast

Top Bottom