• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bloomfield
    I was wondering if anyone had a solution for sticky bolt on a mosin nagant? I have only fired it twice since cleaning the cosmoline out of it, and the bolt is real stiff as it heats up.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I was wondering if anyone had a solution for sticky bolt on a mosin nagant? I have only fired it twice since cleaning the cosmoline out of it, and the bolt is real stiff as it heats up.

It's the cartridge case sticking.

I wrap a couple of patches over an old brush, wet with bore solvent, and scrub the inside of where the cartridge case sits. Other people use oversize brushes and even a drill to turn them (bore solvent again of course).

Some ammo is more prone to doing this.

Good luck,

Les

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    It's the cartridge case sticking.

I wrap a couple of patches over an old brush, wet with bore solvent, and scrub the inside of where the cartridge case sits. Other people use oversize brushes and even a drill to turn them (bore solvent again of course).

Some ammo is more prone to doing this.

Good luck,

Les
    Try that, and if that doesn't work, try some polishing compound or Bore Brite on patches laid on top of a bore brush or mop, and spin the brush with a drill. Don't get too agressive, though, you just want to clean and smooth, not resize.:): Then reclean, and avoid using the laquer coated surplus ammo, or try commercial brass ammo. It worked for me! good luck.

seth959ci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    from my experience it is the cosmoline that has been embedded over time due to storage. After you shoot for a while the pores in the metal open up and a small amount of cosmoline can seep out and be baked onto the surface, causing the stickyness. there is a very good video by iraqveteran8888 on youtube that shows proper cleaning techniques.

its called making your mosin rock--- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL20Oh4P8M[/ame]

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Cosmocain is the problem. Clean it out of your rifle, but don't snort it you'll get higher than sputnik.

When the rifle fires the cosmoline leaks out of every pore in the metal causing it to stick. And believe me you know sticky when you have to use a mallet to get ir open

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Because that can break the extractor. Is this site not Mosin-friendly?

It's plenty Mosin-friendly, but many folks use the color purple to denote that blatant sarcasm was intended.

Now subtle, uncolored sarcasm... that's a trickier beast and clearly how most people wind up taking the hook around here. :hooked:

Enjoy!

And, :D <----these little things may also denote that jocularity is afoot. ;)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If doing an extra through cleaning of the chamber doesn't solve the problem, there are a couple other things to try. First, pull back on the cocking knob before opening the bolt. Mosins have a short bolt handle and a very stout firing pin spring, so that will make your bolt easier to open. Also, many of the parts used were made under extreme conditions during wartime, so sometimes there are rough spots on the bolt parts. A little judicial polishing on the wear spots will really help slick things up.

Think more like a huge peasant farmer the likes of which it was designed for and just hit it harder. :yesway: :D

Yep, these rifles won't be hurt by using a good whack on the bolt. I've watched videos of Red Army soldiers shooting and they opened the bolt by slapping upward with an open palm, and they weren't babying it.

Because that can break the extractor. Is this site not Mosin-friendly?

Oh yes, very friendly. And no, it won't break an otherwise healthy extractor. There is a cut in the receiver ring that allows the extractor to snap over the rim when you chamber a round. If the case is too stuck, that cut will allow the extractor to pop off the case rim. And yes, I've had it do that. That rifle had some pitting in the chamber and there was no curing it short of re cutting the chamber.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    A friend of mine has one that we used a 2x4 on occasion to knock the bolt loose, it was so tight. After he shot it and cleaned it several times it was fine.

Dave

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Send it back and demand that they fix the problem. I can't believe that they would ship a precision firearm with a sticking bolt.

I would hold that guy named Lenin personally responsible.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Official Mosin bolt opening tool.

2x4-4square-6.jpg

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I have a pretty sticky Mosin, I cleaned it and it still stuck pretty good.

The problem seems to be solving itself. It used to stick after 10 or so rounds, now I have to put about 100 before it sticks. And of course, there's no need to baby it. Slap that puppy hard like the Ruskies did, it'll be just fine.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Wow, this is why i joined this sight.
    I just wish i would have joined sooner.
    I had a really sticky bolt on my m38. i had to work the bolt so hard, i would be sweating after five shot. Stripped it cleaned very well, and shot it again, no change.
    Then someone told me the head space could be off. which i interpreted to be very bad, like soon to be grenade bad. Many of myu friend said trade it in, but icould not sleep at night knowing i put a dangerous weapon in someone elses hands. so i stripped the weapon and cut off the firing pin. no big deal, but since i thought i was junk, i decided it would be perfect for me to teach myself how to engrave. The only thing i learned is engraving is hard, and i suck at it. so the weapon is rather ugly.
    not worth fixing. then i read this sight, and thought back, did i use the cheapest mil surplus ammo i could find? YES. Did i run a brass brush in the chamber to get it real clean? YES, but i did not fire it again after i cleaned it.
    so i destroyed a piece of history. and it just sits in my garage and collects dust. me sad.

Top Bottom