• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    A buddy of mine recently purchased a mosin nagant and he has talked me into buying one for myself. they seem to be everywhere and are pretty inexpensive. my questions are

what do I look for? I hear alot about "make sure all numbers match"..umm ok..what numbers am I looking for? I assume serial numbers? how many are there and where are they located? I assume barrel and stock?

I see Gander mountain has a couple but which ones are they? I think my buddy said his is an M44{he bought his at a gun show} how do I tell if its an M44? I kinda googled it and they all look the same to me.

can a scope be added to the M44 or will I need to buy some sort of kit to retro fit a scope? it looks like how the bolt is it would be hard to mount a scope with out manipulating the bolt so how...or does someone make a mount that will replace the rear sight? or does a scope "cheapin" the whole mosin shooting experience?
    also I shot his the other day and while I was shooting the bayonet was folded in...I was shooting way left at 60yrds..I extended the bayo for chits and giggles and fired 3 rounds down range and hit dead on...whats the deal with that? is it best to shoot with the bayo extended?
    any questions you can answer or advise you can give to a first time mosin buyer would be great as Id hate to end up with a POS. Thanks folks!

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    lol im glad to see you found the little fireballs.

they are relatively cheap to buy and shoot. also, people at the range will go nuts watching you shoot one.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    It seems that the most common Mosins available today are the 91/30 and the M44. The difference is the barrel length. The 91/30 barrel is 28in and the M44 is 20in. The M44 has the fixed bayonet that you mentioned, the 91/30 does not. And yes, the word on the street is that the M44 is supposed to be more accurate with the bayonet extended. I own a 91/30 and have shot a M44. The M44 seems to be WAY louder IMHO.

I wouldn't be too concerned if all the serial numbers match. Just make sure that the gun is in good shape.

Right now, the M44s are drying up. You may have a difficult time finding one in good shape. The 91/30 won't cost as much and a lot of the ones I've seen look to be in great shape.

I'd look at other places besides GM, their Mosin prices seem to be high (at least in Castleton). I guess Dunhams has them for really cheap. I bought my 91/30 from KS&E (NE Indy) for $109.95. FWIW, all the serial numbers on mine match (receiver, stock, bolt).

Can't tell you about mounting a scope.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    yeah gander seems to be a bit high on just about everything but I still shop there as the customer service is nice and there pretty helpful. all the other shops like dicks sporting goods and a few smaller guns shops around here suck,they all act like there better than you and god forbid you ask a question. there is a place called Whittaker's that isn't to terribly far from where I live {its in owensboro KY} they are pretty good with prices and friendly..maybe Ill call there and see if they have any in stock.

on another note...I was shocked at how loud the 7.62x54 is! talk about a bell ringer!

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Bought my 91/30 from J&G Sales for $89.95. Should be here today. Where can I shoot it around Indy? Thanks.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I've got an M44 (shorter barrel). In my opinion they look wayyyy better than the Mosin with the longer barrel. Sucks to hear they are drying up. im going to start looking for another one.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    ex sniper

I just picked up another M91/30 the other day. When I was cleaning it I discovered it was an ex sniper rifle. Plugs welded over on the side. 1938 Tulsa with C N on it. Any additional value for these?

RyanWsly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St.Bernice
    Underhills in Washington is reasonable, for your scope mounts here is what I can tell you. #1 You can buy a kit to modify your bolt, cut it off drill holes, bolt on a swept back sporter style bolt, drill and tap receiver for scope mount, friend of mine did this to a barreled action. #2 You can buy a bent bolt from someplace, or get yours bent and drill and tap your receiver for a scope mount. #3 You can get a scout style mount, remove rear sight and install scope mount, you have to use a long eye relief scope with this, I have this and have on my M38, had some issues with it though, different manufactures may have different results, had to Locktite all screws, then the two bolts they sent to mount it bent, one broke when I was removing it. I am trying a modified version on mine, but haven't really got to test it yet. I drilled the scope mount and put a 1/8 roll pin,(it will fit through the rear sight holes) in the place of the two bolts, seems alot stronger, felt solid when I tightened it down, bolts seemed like they gave alot when I tightened the leveling screws. If you do get one locktite the leveling screws and the set screws for them, my bolts may have bent because the mount was moving so much without me realizing it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Welcome to the Mosin club. We just got back from the range a couple of hours ago and had shot our M44, M38 and my son's new (to him) Finnish M39. Since it was a gray day with some rain, the fireballs were really standing out. I stopped shooting my M38 for a bit to admire the fireballs my sons were throwing. They do get a little attention. Especially when the shooter is an 80 lbs 12 year old that looks like he weighs less than the rifle.

We just started buying Mosins in January and are up to 6 now. We have two M442, two 91/30s, one M38 and the Finnish M39. Of all of them, my favorite to shoot is the M38. I've been using that as the basis for a scout rifle and have a long eye relief scope mounted on the rear sight mount. I'm thinking about adding a standard scope to one of the 91/30s as well, but not in the scout configuration. There is a place in Pennsylvania that manufactures a good mount, but it requires drilling the receiver. Their web address is Rock Solid Industries.

The thing to check when looking at the Mosins is the barrel condition. There are some with really nice rifling and others that are pretty weak. Don't let the overall look of the gun fool you. There was one down at Bradis that looked like it was dipped in a bucket of ugly, but it had some of the sharpest rifling I've seen. Take a small flashlight so you can get a good look. The stock can always be refinished, but the rifling is there to stay.

3004_1134824446540_1105180632_2102024_3027079_n.jpg

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    yea when Dunhamshas has the 91/30 on sale there like 80 out the door or something like that and i like them better than the m44 they kick less if you ask me

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Welcome to the Mosin club. We just got back from the range a couple of hours ago and had shot our M44, M38 and my son's new (to him) Finnish M39. Since it was a gray day with some rain, the fireballs were really standing out. I stopped shooting my M38 for a bit to admire the fireballs my sons were throwing. They do get a little attention. Especially when the shooter is an 80 lbs 12 year old that looks like he weighs less than the rifle.

We just started buying Mosins in January and are up to 6 now. We have two M442, two 91/30s, one M38 and the Finnish M39. Of all of them, my favorite to shoot is the M38. I've been using that as the basis for a scout rifle and have a long eye relief scope mounted on the rear sight mount. I'm thinking about adding a standard scope to one of the 91/30s as well, but not in the scout configuration. There is a place in Pennsylvania that manufactures a good mount, but it requires drilling the receiver. Their web address is Rock Solid Industries.

The thing to check when looking at the Mosins is the barrel condition. There are some with really nice rifling and others that are pretty weak. Don't let the overall look of the gun fool you. There was one down at Bradis that looked like it was dipped in a bucket of ugly, but it had some of the sharpest rifling I've seen. Take a small flashlight so you can get a good look. The stock can always be refinished, but the rifling is there to stay.

3004_1134824446540_1105180632_2102024_3027079_n.jpg

seems you where bitten by the mosin bug as well:rockwoot: Ive been researching the mosin just about all day and have learned quit a bit and cant wait to get mine.:ar15:

Top Bottom