• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I had a 91/59 carbine for a short while. If you want a cheap bolt action rifle, they fit the bill. Other than that, the rifle did nothing for me personally.

This, I actually kind of mentioned this in another thread, but other than the "it's kinda cool to tinker with" factor, it pretty much stays in the safe.

Put it to ya this way, I got mine a year and a half ago and bought 40 rds of ammo at the time of purchase, still have 20 rds left. When I plan my trips to the range Mr. Nagant just never seems to be in the plans.

But they're cheap, so get it and if you like it great, if not no big deal.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Mine has been nothing but reliable and accurate. I've got a run of the mill 1943 Izzy that I paid under a hundred for at Beech Grove Firearms. Came with all the accessories too. I really enjoy shooting them, and with the muzzle blast they can double as a flame thrower!

Nice piece of history too. What other WWII main combat rifle can you buy for under a hundred?

Buy as many as you can!

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    From what I know they all shoot about the same except for maybe the ex-snipers.

If you got one dating before WW II you might find a little bit fit and finish since they didn't have whatever children were left in Russia pumping the rifles out as fast as possible at that point. Well maybe they were still children, but at least they took their time.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    mosinnagant.jpg

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Finn M39, they are the "Gold Standard" when it comes to Mosin Nagants unless you have a grand to dump on a M28/76.

Miller Tyme nailed it! Saw a kind of a beater M28/76 at the gun show in Nappanee last Sat for $500. Unfortunately a cracked stock. Now there's a difficult stock to replace. FYI, nice M39s usually sell for 300+ these days - so be prepared if you want one.

Les

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    From what I know they all shoot about the same except for maybe the ex-snipers.

I believe it's all about bore condition and ammo. Most of the refurbs have pretty poor condition bores but still shoot "OK" for a milsurp rifle. Refurb carbines are definitely the least accurate Mosin, not to say that a carbine with a good bore shooting developed handloads won't far outshoot a refurb 91/30 using generic milsurp ammo. As Miller Tyme said, the Finnish M39 (which commonly have nice condition bores and better triggers) will usually outshoot most all of the other Mosins and often even shoot milsurp ammo well. The M28/76 he spoke of is a purpose built Mosin Target rifle.

So I would only agree with your statement if you are speaking about refurbed 91/30s with poor condition bores.

Les

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Be ware It has been said they breed in your safe, Start with one, next time you look there are three.
    There's more to that story than they are telling you. I found that those suckers need a catalyst for breeding in the safe....green paper. Since I've not provided that catalyst...My 91/30 is lonely. Who knows, though? Someday, maybe a cuddly M44? :):

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have 4 and an 1891 Nagant. I also purchased a couple for friend's Christmas gifts! They are as reliable as any gun ever made - period. For high power rifle ammo the 7.62 X 54R is cheaper than any other at this point. It is corrosive so you need to clean your guns real soon after shooting. Most of my rifles/carbines are arsenal referbs and all have excellent bores - all shoot in the 1 ~ 2 MOA range (may be more accurate than that but with Iron sights who knows? They are still a pretty good buy at around $120 ~ $130 for one with all accessories (sling -oil can -bayonet - belt pouch), I may pick up a couple more before the price goes up.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I was just at Blythe's in Valpo and they had an M28/76 for $899. First one I've ever seen and not fond of the looks but wow was it comfortable to hold. That would be a cool piece of history to have.

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Buy it! yes they are cheap right now, but that WILL change. Remember when mausers were cheap? Or when Arisakas traded for $20-$30 because there were so many of them?

Heck, buy a full CRATE! For under $500 you can have a crate of rifles and a crate of ammo for them. I regret not buying up crates of turkish mausers when they hit the market.

As far as accuracy and reliability, keep in mind that the Soviets won WW2 with Mosins. Accurate enough so any peasant Ivan can light up a kraut!

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    So I just came back from the Blythe's in Griffith and low and behold they had an M28/76 for 999. I still can't get over how nice they are to hold. Balance is just perfect with those rifles and comfortable as all hell.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    the question is not should you get one it's do I need more than 1? You will get hooked after shooting it and will buy a 2nd one for parts, a third to customize, a 4th for "just in case", a 5th for a rainy day, a 6th.....(i think you get the idea).

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Just bought my first, an m44. I love the carbine feel, and I don't need a full size 91/30 in my one bedroom apartment. Plus, as has been said, they are becoming more valuable, since they are slowly becoming more rare. It was't too long ago that they could be had for $75-90 easy- now you often have to hunt a while to get that price. Just do it.

Top Bottom