• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    What is the main appeal to these rifles? The history? The price? Certainly, the price point is appealing, but is it just an inexpensive rifle or something more?

What are people's end-use of them? Target? Battle rifle? Behind glass?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    What is the main appeal to these rifles? The history? The price? Certainly, the price point is appealing, but is it just an inexpensive rifle or something more?

I use mine for fence posts, cheaper that Locust posts and the bayos are great for cooking kabobs on.
    ;)

fro65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    South of Ft. Wayne
    I definately think you should get one or five. They are tough as nails, very reliable, relatively cheap to shoot and amazingly accurate even with old surplus ammo. I hit a groundhog at 300 yards this past summer with one of mine. That was with the battle sights! Just remember to clean thoroughly after shooting because all ammo I have used is corrosive. Not a big deal, just use a cleaning regimen similar to what you would use on a muzzleloader. Most seem to be around $130 right now.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    All this talk is making me look for a Mosin... anyone can help me in the direction of one? I looked on line and all sold out... I am not the best at the internet so I may not be looking at the right spots.. I did buy a spam can of ammo today... part of the solution .. at least it was in stock . Not trying to hijack a thread ...

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Try Classic, or Aim, or J&G. They are your best bet if you want to deal with a dealer on line. Try Gunbroker if you like auctions, and try Bradis if you want to hold it in your hands before you purchase it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    All this talk is making me look for a Mosin... anyone can help me in the direction of one? I looked on line and all sold out... I am not the best at the internet so I may not be looking at the right spots.. I did buy a spam can of ammo today... part of the solution .. at least it was in stock . Not trying to hijack a thread ...

If you're anywhere near Clarksville check out Falls City Firearms. He has several in the rack. 91/30, M91, M44, and T53.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I have been considering buying one after shooting it. The only issue I have is in the future how do you see the accessibility of ammo. When the surplus dries up will the ammo be crazy expensive? Is there a lot of reloadable ammo for this gun on the market?

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    I love mine, it was my first gun, they are cheap, fun to shoot, and cheap to shoot

Only downside I have is the 91/30 is to long for a lot of cases.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I have been considering buying one after shooting it. The only issue I have is in the future how do you see the accessibility of ammo. When the surplus dries up will the ammo be crazy expensive? Is there a lot of reloadable ammo for this gun on the market?

Privi ammo is the one that you want to reload. Winchester is reported to only get a couple or three reloads. I have a couple hundred cases of Privi that I cycle through. Over 20 loads on some when neck sizing without annealing. Dont forget to trim cases. First thing to go will be the neck, and it will split harmlessly. You see it when you size next time. Was about $14/box of 20. Brass alone costs more. Don't know about now. Sierra, Hornady make 3.11/3.12 bullets in more than one weight. Speer does too but Ive never used them. Difficult to get primers and some powders right now. I bout 5000 primers and a bunch of powder right before they skyrocketed in price. :-) Still not cheap to load 7.62x54R but I think its worth it.

Les

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

There is quite a bit of new manufactured fairly cheap non-reloadable ammo available from the usual suspects in Russia, Wolf, Bear, etc.
    There is some reloadable ammo now, made by Privi Partisan (sold as Privi Parisan and Wolf Gold) and Sellior & Belloit(sold under Winchester Metric line). The Privi can be hard to find at times, but with a little looking it can be found. For brass, boxer primed cases, the Privi is actually fairly inexpensive, and the cases are great for reloading. The S&B I haven't been impressed with, more expensive, not as accurate, and the cases just don't last.
    Also I think availability of reloadable cases will only increase after the surplus dries up. Right now its hard for the ammo companies to compete with $80/440 rds for surplus so once that is gone there will be more of a demand.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

The main appeal for me is the substantial bang for buck. For about $100 you can buy a proper battle rifle with punch comparable to 30-06 and ammo is still cheap @ .24 a pop. Where else can you guy that much gun and ammo on the cheap?

Besides the firepower/$ value, the historical value is significant. The tooling marks on my 1943 were made by a person who knew that if they didn't turn out enough quality rifles, the nazis were going to kill each and every person they knew.

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    The main appeal for me is the substantial bang for buck. For about $100 you can buy a proper battle rifle with punch comparable to 30-06 and ammo is still cheap @ .24 a pop. Where else can you guy that much gun and ammo on the cheap?

Besides the firepower/$ value, the historical value is significant. The tooling marks on my 1943 were made by a person who knew that if they didn't turn out enough quality rifles, the nazis were going to kill each and every person they knew.

I forgot to include that as well, if you're a history buff then go for it I hope to have most of the WWII rifles in my life.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    While i dont know much about mine yet, I will say I love shooting it! I took it out last weekend and it worked flawlessly after the bolt loosened up.
    it's a great piece of history and a blast to shoot! Buy one and have fun with it.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Here is one Im working on now.

mosin.jpg

Every thing from a gun smith stand point has been done to make her shoot true.

If you get a bubba'd Mosin or just a parts gun I suggest going wild. If you find a Finnish capture SA, you'll most likely have your pinky's cut off by the purists here on the boards for even touching her with any thing less than wood wax.

Even neglected Mosins can be brought back from the dead. Can't wait to see what this baby will do and what ammo she likes. Have to pick a stock for her too. 3lb trigger pull? OH YEAH. :-)

Edit: Yes the muzzle brakes make a huge difference on these Mosins in term of kick. The Barrett 50 cal miniature copy I have on this one turns it into a complete ***** cat.

Top Bottom