• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    A therapist eh? So what-it still doesn't mean you know jack squat about it. Judging from your assertion that the benefits you cited are indeed "benefits", I rest my case.

Yes. A "mental health professional." Trained and experienced in treating autism spectrum disorders.

Perhaps you define "benefit" differently than a dictionary defines it: "something that is advantageous or good; an advantage."

Or perhaps you're confusing my stating that those are benefits with some idea that autism itself is a benefit.

What would you call receiving "free" (taxpayer) money? A liability? And not having to play by the same rules as everybody else? Is that also a liability?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Not a word game. Just fact.

There are secondary gains to be made from "things" but it depends on what "things" we're talking about. A medical diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder is not one of those "things" and only shows how uneducated you are on the matter.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have yet to understand what real gains there are to be had socially, financially, or any other combination thereof that makes it of any benefit to have a child diagnosed with special needs over that of a "normal" child in terms of development. The next family that I meet that gets a disability check for their child with autism will be my first. Between juggling appointments for speech/occupational therapy (for those who do get it outside of the school) means parents have a harder time having both parents working, so if anything, it's most often a loss of income to the household should one parent not be able to work. I've spend thousands of dollars paying for things to provide for my child's safety at home. How much does the government pay for something like that? Not a dime. So once again, please tell me the benefits I should be reaping and how I can receive such payouts that you allude to are available. You seem to be so educated about such matters that I should somehow turn this autism thing into a money maker.

You probably don't associate with people who would meet the required income threshold to receive SSI checks for a child's autism, or with those whose children are having trouble in school and in the legal system. This is not a knock against you. You are blessed to not have to deal with that part of it. Before I started working with this population, I had no idea what all was involved either.

I want to bring up a couple things, though. First, nobody is making generalizations about all families with a family member who has an autism diagnosis. Also, nobody is pointing a finger specifically at you. It is not necessary that you take our observations and experiences so personally. Last, exaggerating the position of those who disagree with you doesn't strengthen your argument; it weakens it (ex: So once again, please tell me the benefits I should be reaping and how I can receive such payouts that you allude to are available.)

Finally, a google search will point you to many sites that explain how to get SSI for an autistic family member if you qualify. Here's one I came across: Applying for SSI Benefits for a Child with Autism - Laura Shumaker It contains links to government websites to help you get started.
    As for educational benefits, talk to your child's teacher about scheduling an IEP (individual education program) conference. and as for legal benefits, any halfway functioning public defender knows how to bring up any autism spectrum disorder to get a little more leniency from the judge (if, God forbid, it becomes necessary that you stand with your child before a judge in juvenile court).

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like another :tinfoil: 'vaccines' lead to autism 'study'. Which has been proven to be a fallacy.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... GMO's are gonna be 'the death' of everyone, everything 'gives ya cancer', blah, blah, blah... :nuts:

When I was in high school is was white bread and white, refined sugar. Tomorrow it'll be something else. :scared:

It's as nutty as global warming causing the harsh 2013 - 2014 winter... :nailbite:

Oh, wait! NOW it's 'global climate change! :runaway:

Like the climate doesn't change multiple times a year, anyway. :blahblah:

And who's the BIGGEST purveyor of this :poop: ? You guessed it...

Obama_Cap.jpg

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I would have to say that your post ranks in the top 10 most ignorant posts that I have ever seen on INGO.

I want to extend to you a formal congratulations.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    ok. I finally see where you are going with this. You are clearly more intelligent and more educated about this topic than, well you know, everyone else. Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back. Make sure your friends know that you sure told us. This whole thing should give you at least a temporary sense of righteous indignation which you can pander into a self esteem boost. Nope, no secondary gains to be had here. I stand corrected.

Thanks for proving you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This study is based on public records and medical records. Easy to peer-review and validate.

A more informative summary:

Study Links Pesticide Exposure During Pregnancy to Autism Risk in Kids ? WebMD
    The researchers found that children with autism were more likely to have lived within a mile of a pesticide exposure before birth than typically developing kids. The risk was 60 percent to about 200 percent higher, depending on the kind of chemicals that were sprayed, how close the family had been to the treated area, and when, during pregnancy, a woman had been exposed.
    In general, exposure during the third trimester appeared to be riskiest, and odds of having a child with autism went up the closer the family had been living to the pesticide application, suggesting that doses got higher the nearer women were to the chemicals.

Of course there are plenty of uncontrolled variables. I would be interested to hear some ideas of possible variables that would cause autism incidence to increase based on proximity to pesticide usage.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Yes. A "mental health professional." Trained and experienced in treating autism spectrum disorders.

Perhaps you define "benefit" differently than a dictionary defines it: "something that is advantageous or good; an advantage."

Or perhaps you're confusing my stating that those are benefits with some idea that autism itself is a benefit.

What would you call receiving "free" (taxpayer) money? A liability? And not having to play by the same rules as everybody else? Is that also a liability?

I think you should refrain from "treating" those diagnosed as you don't seem to have any real understanding of what the diagnosis really means to the parents of said child. I would recommend you spend some time at a school or something because you haven't picked up on it from the occasional hour here and there.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There seems to be a different study on Autism every other week or so.
    Facts and figures are hard to argue against. Aren't they kind of like Polls? Ask a question a certain way to get the answers you want?
    The true fact of the matter is...The EXPERTS are still clueless on the actual cause of autism. They're throwing darts in the dark hoping to hit on something concrete to go forward and work with.
    I remember the "Tylenol" theory, vaccines, fat mothers, old fathers, lead exposure, and even the "pot smokers on Periquot" stretch.
    Fraud is everywhere so don't try to make it exclusive to this subject. Locks only keep honest people honest. A crook will find a way through any crack in the wall, just like a rat. Honest people can have Autistic children as well.
    There a lot of opinions given here. Throwing darts in the dark I guess.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    There seems to be a different study on Autism every other week or so.
    Facts and figures are hard to argue against. Aren't they kind of like Polls? Ask a question a certain way to get the answers you want?
    The true fact of the matter is...The EXPERTS are still clueless on the actual cause of autism. They're throwing darts in the dark hoping to hit on something concrete to go forward and work with.
    I remember the "Tylenol" theory, vaccines, fat mothers, old fathers, lead exposure, and even the "pot smokers on Periquot" stretch.
    Fraud is everywhere so don't try to make it exclusive to this subject. Locks only keep honest people honest. A crook will find a way through any crack in the wall, just like a rat. Honest people can have Autistic children as well.
    There a lot of opinions given here. Throwing darts in the dark I guess.

Yep. That's how science works. Make a theory, study it. Rule it in/Rule it out or study it some more. Autism has a complex etiology or we would know what causes it already.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think you should refrain from "treating" those diagnosed as you don't seem to have any real understanding of what the diagnosis really means to the parents of said child. I would recommend you spend some time at a school or something because you haven't picked up on it from the occasional hour here and there.

Your opinion on my vocational abilities has as much validity as telling an oncologist he shouldn't treat cancer because he has never experienced it himself.

You might also note that I have made absolutely no statement of judgment on the meaning of autism to parents, yet you somehow infer that I have a negative view of you because your child has been diagnosed with autism.

I can see that your emotions are getting in the way of this discussion. I wish you the best for you and your child.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Glyphosate, Hard Water and Nephrotoxic Metals: Are They the Culprits Behind the Epidemic of Chronic Kidney Disease of Unknown Etiology in Sri Lanka?

This presents some interesting research from February of this year.

Rice paddy farmers in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka have been dying from chronic kidney disease since the mid 1990's. In huge numbers.

The age-standardized prevalence of the disease is estimated at 15% [2] affecting a total population of 400,000 patients with an estimated death toll of around 20,000 [3].

The hypothesis presented by this research suggests that this disease process may be caused by a combination of glyphosate (Roundup), hard water consumption and nephrotoxic metals.

Although there is no agreement among scientists about the etiology of the disease, a majority of them has concluded that this is a toxic nephropathy. None of the hypotheses put forward so far could explain coherently the totality of clinical, biochemical, histopathological findings, and the unique geographical distribution of the disease and its appearance in the mid-1990s. A strong association between the consumption of hard water and the occurrence of this special kidney disease has been observed, but the relationship has not been explained consistently. Here, we have hypothesized the association of using glyphosate, the most widely used herbicide in the disease endemic area and its unique metal chelating properties. The possible role played by glyphosate-metal complexes in this epidemic has not been given any serious consideration by investigators for the last two decades. Furthermore, it may explain similar kidney disease epidemics observed in Andra Pradesh (India) and Central America. Although glyphosate alone does not cause an epidemic of chronic kidney disease, it seems to have acquired the ability to destroy the renal tissues of thousands of farmers when it forms complexes with a localized geo environmental factor (hardness) and nephrotoxic metals.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Your opinion on my vocational abilities has as much validity as telling an oncologist he shouldn't treat cancer because he has never experienced it himself.

You might also note that I have made absolutely no statement of judgment on the meaning of autism to parents, yet you somehow infer that I have a negative view of you because your child has been diagnosed with autism.

I can see that your emotions are getting in the way of this discussion. I wish you the best for you and your child.

Your experience is speaking of autism across a desk based upon what you've read. Then there are those of us who truly experience it first hand on a daily basis and don't just leave it at the office like the so-called "experts".

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Study links pesticide exposure in pregnancy to autism | Reuters

This is an interesting study. California publishes data each year tracking the locations and types of chemicals used on crops. Researchers studied the incidence of autism and developmental delays relative to the mother's proximity to these chemicals and found some pretty solid correlations.

This is not the first study showing this correlation, but it did further solidify the data.

Full study is available here:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-content/uploads/advpub/2014/6/ehp.1307044.pdf

Organophosphates seemed to be the most commonly used type of pesticide, as well as the most dangerous.

I suspect that the particular formulation mostly to blame is commonly known as Roundup. As of 2010, roundup ready crops accounted for 90 of the soybeans and 70% of the cotton and corn grown in the U.S. (source) And farmers who purchase roundup ready seeds are contractually obligated to use only roundup pesticides on them. It is the top selling pesticide worldwide, and is an organophosphate.

Avoid being led by a ring that these hidden-agenda losers put in your nose. There is no statistically significant correlation between pesticides and autism. Someone wants government money, your tax money, and they don't care how slimy they have to be to get it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Bravo-4-2 said:
    Avoid being led by a ring that these hidden-agenda losers put in your nose. There is no statistically significant correlation between pesticides and autism. Someone wants government money, your tax money, and they don't care how slimy they have to be to get it.

Actually... I just provided some pretty solid research that shows that there is a significant correlation between pesticides and autism.

Would you please provide your source or your reasoning that led you to conclude that this research is wrong?

Who is really being led around by the nose?

I wonder who has more of a profit motive to lie about this. Researchers in the world of academia... or Monsanto, the producer of the most widely sold pesticide on the entire planet. Now that's a tough call.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Actually... I just provided some pretty solid research that shows that there is a significant correlation between pesticides and autism.

Would you please provide your source or your reasoning that led you to conclude that this research is wrong?

Who is really being led around by the nose?

I wonder who has more of a profit motive to lie about this. Researchers in the world of academia... or Monsanto, the producer of the most widely sold pesticide on the entire planet. Now that's a tough call.

You obviously have been influenced by those who want you to believe their agenda. Your "pretty solid research" is anything but solid. It's propaganda that is aimed at the intellectually weak.

Good luck to you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom