• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If the airport is erected in violation of zoning, yes.

I live on top of my neighbor, I heard his roosters. He now has property in the county near Dayton and everyone is much happier.:)

You don't move to the country and complain about the smell of livestock. Similarly, why do you move to a city on top of each other and expect everyone to live tour your standards?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You don't move to the country and complain about the smell of livestock.

Correct, moving to the nuisance. Livestock is permitted as it is zoned for it.

Similarly, why do you move to a city on top of each other and expect everyone to live tour your standards?

Not my standards, the zoning standards which protect property owners from being assaulted by their neighbors because of proximity.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Correct, moving to the nuisance. Livestock is permitted as it is zoned for it.

Not my standards, the zoning standards which protect property owners from being assaulted by their neighbors because of proximity.

And how are these zoning standards set?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    From the article:
    And sentimentally, chickens are several rungs below dogs and cats.

They've obviously never met people who keep chickens for pets.

I wonder if these were 88's chickens?:laugh:

You wouldn't catch me dead at 38th and Moeller. Well, actually you might, which is why I don't live there. :D

Nope, not my chicks. I don't have a roo and the only way mine can get out is if someone lets them out.

What? You can't make your neighbors up with roosters at 3AM?

It's an outrage!

What's that got to do with restricting ownership of them? We should prohibit dogs too, then, correct?

Point of fact, my neighbors' ducks are noisier than my chickens. Louder too.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And how are these zoning standards set?

By due process and voting.

What's that got to do with restricting ownership of them? We should prohibit dogs too, then, correct?

Ummm, usufruct enjoyment of one's property. Restricting owership protect's property rights.

Many cities have zoning requirement for dogs. If the animals are interfering with my property rights, then yes prohibit that person's dogs.

Point of fact, my neighbors' ducks are noisier than my chickens. Louder too.

Is there an ordinance regulating them?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    By due process and voting.

Ummm, usufruct enjoyment of one's property. Restricting owership protect's property rights.

Many cities have zoning requirement for dogs. If the animals are interfering with my property rights, then yes prohibit that person's dogs.

Is there an ordinance regulating them?

I'd sooner believe its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. The powers that be get tired of complaints about this or that so they create a new ordinance. I can't wait until there are ordinances on ammo supplies. Your stockpile creates a fire hazard to your neighbors.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The powers that be get tired of complaints about this or that so they create a new ordinance.

Right, the right to petition the government for redress, that's how it works.

I can't wait until there are ordinances on ammo supplies. Your stockpile creates a fire hazard to your neighbors.

No state preemption.

If I am shooting my ammo in my backyard, yes it would create a hazard but that's why we have zoning to prevent the a**holes from doing so.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Right, the right to petition the government for redress, that's how it works.

No state preemption.

If I am shooting my ammo in my backyard, yes it would create a hazard but that's why we have zoning to prevent the a**holes from doing so.

So Obamacare is good to go. People wanted it, rights be damned.

Large quantities of ammo are a fire hazard. You pose a threat to your neighbors. Your neighbors find out about it and they petition your local government. Ordinance passes, you lose to the system you so deeply love.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Large quantities of ammo are a fire hazard. You pose a threat to your neighbors. Your neighbors find out about it and they petition your local government. Ordinance passes, you lose to the system you so deeply love.

Again, no state preemption. Ordinances will only give me gun school money.

So Obamacare is good to go. People wanted it, rights be damned.

Got your jumping boots on today, sir.:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Again, no state preemption. Ordinances will only give me gun school money.

Got your jumping boots on today, sir.:D

What infuriates me the most about the pro code enforcement crowd is that they never stop to think about how it may backfire on them. It's a pandoras box. The box only gets bigger.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    True, again it depends on where the line is drawn and what topics the zoning addresses.

It's a line in sand that is forever creeping forward. How many new ordinances are created for every one repealed? 10 to 1? 100 to 1? 1000 to 1? Once the ordinances negatively impact YOU, are you still going to cheer for them?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Your argument is premised on the assumption that noise cannot be regulated independently of possession. Marion Co ordinances prove otherwise.

IOW, you don't have to ban something to prevent the undesirable "side effects."

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Today, my neighbor was playing the stereo in his car so loud, that is was shaking the windows in my own home. When he was asked (nicely I might add) to turn down the volume, his response was, "Shut up."

The police were called, and he was cited for violating the city's noise ordinance.

He has a right to play his stereo, until it unreasonably infringes upon my rights. Some people with the all-or-nothing mentality just don't understand this.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Today, my neighbor was playing the stereo in his car so loud, that is was shaking the windows in my own home. When he was asked (nicely I might add) to turn down the volume, his response was, "Shut up."

The police were called, and he was cited for violating the city's noise ordinance.

He has a right to play his stereo, until it unreasonably infringes upon my rights. Some people with the all-or-nothing mentality just don't understand this.

You're right. Stereos should be banned as well. It's the only way to ensure that they will not produce noise violations.

Top Bottom