• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Yes, if you study the same people that study did, you are more likely to be shot and killed. Regardless of whether or not you are carrying a gun.

OTOH, if you aren't gang banger, carrying a gun is demonstrably more likely to help you survive a criminal attack from one of the people in that study above.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Carrying a gun increases risk of getting shot and killed - science-in-society - 06 October 2009 - New Scientist

I'd love to see a study about Branas' speculation that a sense of empowerment may lead to overreactions. My feeling is that overreactions and empowerment have more to do with training than anything else. Would also be great to see this study replicated in different communities around the country and elsewhere.

The study is flawed to begin with.

Studying shooting victims to find out if they were carrying at the time of the shooting is like studying burglary victims to find out if there were any valuables in the house at the time of the burglary?:n00b:

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    correlation =/= causation. the study never mentions whether anyone was carrying legally (therefore a law abiding citizen) or illegally (therefore a criminal)

eliteimagery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Elkhart, IN
    Um....can anyone say Philadelphia? Hello...were these people who were carrying legally, and or historically responsible people? I hate skewed research...

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    If the Brady Bunch continues to buy off studies like this one, they're going to run out of cash. Last I saw, they brought in about 1/50 of what the NRA did last year as far as money is concerned.

Top Bottom