• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually there is a lot of science around the ability to successfully reproduce a skill. Mastery of a skill requires repetitive practice of said skill called "deliberative practice" with deliberate practice it has been shown to better prepare the person to reinact this skill under stress or in any situation.

So in this case shooting downrange while there is a person there and intentionally missing that person would then train someone in a defensive shooting situation to miss the person??? huh....isn't that counter productive

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    So in this case shooting downrange while there is a person there and intentionally missing that person would then train someone in a defensive shooting situation to miss the person??? huh....isn't that counter productive

YES. That's the point. No, that isn't counter productive. You really don't get it? In a defensive shooting, not EVERYONE is a target. You might have to intentionally not shoot innocent people. Or do you train to just shoot everyone?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    YES. That's the point. No, that isn't counter productive. You really don't get it? In a defensive shooting, not EVERYONE is a target. You might have to intentionally not shoot innocent people. Or do you train to just shoot everyone?

Ok, I'm asking. Who and where have you trained?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

yes.....oh well wait, no, but since I am a competition shooter I can only train to shoot anything with brown cardboard and only after I hear a buzzer go off so really my input is should just be ignored

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    yes.....oh well wait, no, but since I am a competition shooter I can only train to shoot anything with brown cardboard and only after I hear a buzzer go off so really my input is should just be ignored

If a bad guy ever says "Unload, show clear," you're so screwed.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    So in a stressful situation you are hoping to sort out "good shoot bad shoot". A team of bad guys come into a convenience store and start shooting, you shoot back. Without practice you are confident that you will be able to pick out all of the bad guys in and amongst the good guys and only shoot them. Of course that is what you hope will happen but good intentions under stress do not always create a positive outcome. Wow 10 years of training in a shoot house are wasted training hours. The more you increase fidelity the more likely you are able to replicate your reactions in similar situations.

Would you like to know my training record? Hint 1: I am not a competition shooter.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So in a stressful situation you are hoping to sort out "good shoot bad shoot". A team of bad guys come into a convenience store and start shooting, you shoot back. Without practice you are confident that you will be able to pick out all of the bad guys in and amongst the good guys and only shoot them. Of course that is what you hope will happen but good intentions under stress do not always create a positive outcome. Wow 10 years of training in a shoot house are wasted training hours. The more you increase fidelity the more likely you are able to replicate your reactions in similar situations.

Would you like to know my training record? Hint 1: I am not a competition shooter.

When you train in your shoot house, do you trade rounds back and forth with a "bad guy"

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So in a stressful situation you are hoping to sort out "good shoot bad shoot". A team of bad guys come into a convenience store and start shooting, you shoot back. Without practice you are confident that you will be able to pick out all of the bad guys in and amongst the good guys and only shoot them. Of course that is what you hope will happen but good intentions under stress do not always create a positive outcome.

Will all the good guys have cameras?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Ok, I'm asking. Who and where have you trained?

The United States Army, and some independent defensive training with a group of friends.

I already knew that.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have done paper, mannequins, simunition, and airsoft. Simunition (or other brands) with people shooting back gets your adrenaline going and increases the fight or flight. We tried to get adrenaline going by running in gas masks before entry with paper targets to get heart rate up but still not the same as increasing fidelity of moving actors. I also think that simunitions are better than airsoft as the sting has some impact. Still not the same as the response with live fire which is why the British forces, Seals and HRT perform live fire shoot houses. I use to think heart rate up would equate to the same adrenaline as people shooting back but after reading On Combat and following up with a review of the literature fight or flight causes different physical and mental responses. I also have almost completed my PhD in high-fidelity simulations and its effect on decision making so I have a little background in this area.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't understand... verify what?
    What Hackathorn and Vickers do that is similar to TR? ("google it", is not verification.)
    Since I'm going to the class this weekend, maybe I will have better info for you. Do I have to put it in video?
    Holding a camera at TR is likely a bad idea unless you are fond of seeing down muzzles.
    Please be safe.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm going to have to unsubscribe - the useful posts seem to be getting overlooked and nothing but bickering and e-peen size comparison seems to be happening now.

Best of luck.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have done paper, mannequins, simunition, and airsoft. Simunition (or other brands) with people shooting back gets your adrenaline going and increases the fight or flight. We tried to get adrenaline going by running in gas masks before entry with paper targets to get heart rate up but still not the same as increasing fidelity of moving actors. I also think that simunitions are better than airsoft as the sting has some impact. Still not the same as the response with live fire which is why the British forces, Seals and HRT perform live fire shoot houses. I use to think heart rate up would equate to the same adrenaline as people shooting back but after reading On Combat and following up with a review of the literature fight or flight causes different physical and mental responses. I also have almost completed my PhD in high-fidelity simulations and its effect on decision making so I have a little background in this area.

good job

Top Bottom