• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You people do carry guns in public, right?
    YES, SENSEI!

Fear does not exist in this class, does it?
    NO, SENSEI!

Pain does not exist in this class, does it?
    NO, SENSEI!

Defeat does not exist in this class, does it?
    NO, SENSEI!

Common Sense does not exist in this class, does it?
    APPARENTLY NOT, SENSEI!

Do they tell people this is part of the course of fire as part of the class description? I'd hate to get to a training course, after having made all the arrangements and then find out that this was one of the drills.

I think they all take turns at being the "target" photographer.

Just like all the pirates get a turn in the barrel. :n00b:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nuthin' could possibly go wrong here. :rolleyes:

James-Yeager-Tactical-Response-Photographer-Down-Range-Shooting.jpg

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You're right. Nothing could go wrong. That's the point.

Is someone going to show me an instance where a downrange photographer has been shot, or not? I'm getting tired of waiting...

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Its the photographer's life. He can risk it however he wants. Would you want your son or daughter to do it?
    Its just taking a bigger risk than I would want. All it would take is the sear in one shooter's rifle or handgun to malfunction or break, emptying the gun on full auto and he'd be in trouble. Not outside the realm of possibilities. What if one of them had epilepsy and didn't know it. As has been stated , any number of things could go wrong. I'm risk adverse as much as I can be and I gotta walk on 8" wide concrete foundations and 5 1/2" wide wall plates while waaay off the ground.
    Perhaps the only reason why there isn't any down range photogs shot yet is because this one loony bird is the only fool stupid enough to do it.
    The risks out way the benefits. That's the bottom line.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    This question directed toward the ones that are ok with taking pot shots towards the photographer?

No.

To all the people who can't possibly imagine firing a shot with someone forward of their precious, artificial firing line.

To all the people who confuse range rules with firearm safety rules and then get upset when someone else knows the difference.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No.

To all the people who can't possibly imagine firing a shot with someone forward of their precious, artificial firing line.

To all the people who confuse range rules with firearm safety rules and then get upset when someone else knows the difference.

Well, that clears that up. Because carrying a gun in public is EXACTLY THE SAME as shooting at the [STRIKE]foolish[/STRIKE] awesome action cameraman.

**** it, next time I'm at the range I'll just start shooting with people downrange.
    What the hell, it does not matter. I'm a pretty good shot. Not the best by a long shot (pun) but pretty fair.
    Hell, I'll take the kids with me. Do you know how hard it is to keep those targets steady on a windy day?
    They can hold them by the edges for me. I'm not actually shooting at them so it's all good.

Common sense is dead.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Well, that clears that up. Because carrying a gun in public is EXACTLY THE SAME as shooting at the [STRIKE]foolish[/STRIKE] awesome action cameraman.

**** it, next time I'm at the range I'll just start shooting with people downrange.
    What the hell, it does not matter. I'm a pretty good shot. Not the best by a long shot (pun) but pretty fair.
    Hell, I'll take the kids with me. Do you know how hard it is to keep those targets steady on a windy day?
    They can hold them by the edges for me. I'm not actually shooting at them so it's all good.

Common sense is dead.

+1....it sure it dead on this thread!!!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You're right. Nothing could go wrong. That's the point.

Is someone going to show me an instance where a downrange photographer has been shot, or not? I'm getting tired of waiting...

You'll be waiting for a while, likely forever. The downrange photographer is a unique bit of foolishness that must happen on a private range. While foolish, the folks doing this aren't stupid enough to ever admit the truth when they get shot. Dumbasses shoot themselves and others all the time, they'd just blend themselves into that mix.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nope, there have been plenty

While I wouldn't say that it's a common practice, Tactical Response is hardly the only group that takes such pictures.

CSC_4698.jpg

The drill isn't for everyone, but it's hardly as haphazard as folks who've never been there would like to make it out to be. If shooting guns is your focus that's OK and the square range works well for that. But if fighting with one is your focus then at some point you'll need to be able to shoot in a 360 world with friendlies nearby. This drill is just a very small part of that. From there one could shoot in dynamic drills or shoothouses where they're shooting around people regularly. Or they could participate in FoF where they're not just shooting around people, but actually shooting AT people.

In any case, I don't want my first shots around a friendly to be at the worst situation when it matters most. Crawl, walk, run.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    While I wouldn't say that it's a common practice, Tactical Response is hardly the only group that takes such pictures...

Let's see some more then. Some more that involve training students instructed to shoot in the direction of people, (instead of professional gun handlers please.);)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Some more that involve training students instructed to shoot in the direction of people, (instead of professional gun handlers please.);)

What makes you think the guy above is a professional gun handler? His bright shirt? Or do you actually know who he is? (I don't know him)

Are you saying that you don't disagree with the practice itself, just the level of experience of the person doing the shooting?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You'll be waiting for a while, likely forever. The downrange photographer is a unique bit of foolishness that must happen on a private range. While foolish, the folks doing this aren't stupid enough to ever admit the truth when they get shot. Dumbasses shoot themselves and others all the time, they'd just blend themselves into that mix.

This x10

I'll bet dollars to donuts that these nuts have had at least one "OH ****" moment while doing this or similar "drills".

What do you think they are going to do?
    "Yes, I was almost killed! Come on down and join in the festivities!"
    Not good for bidness.
    It's going to be really bad for business when there is a body to deal with.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What makes you think the guy above is a professional gun handler? His bright shirt? Or do you actually know who he is? (I don't know him)

Are you saying that you don't disagree with the practice itself, just the level of experience of the person doing the shooting?

It was foolish for Mr. Burkett to promote this bad behavior with an image also. He is a bit different than a training student as far as the risk involved is concerned though.

http://www.mattburkett.com/

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    While I wouldn't say that it's a common practice, Tactical Response is hardly the only group that takes such pictures.

CSC_4698.jpg

The drill isn't for everyone, but it's hardly as haphazard as folks who've never been there would like to make it out to be. If shooting guns is your focus that's OK and the square range works well for that. But if fighting with one is your focus then at some point you'll need to be able to shoot in a 360 world with friendlies nearby. This drill is just a very small part of that. From there one could shoot in dynamic drills or shoothouses where they're shooting around people regularly. Or they could participate in FoF where they're not just shooting around people, but actually shooting AT people.

In any case, I don't want my first shots around a friendly to be at the worst situation when it matters most. Crawl, walk, run.

that guy is a asshat too.......death wish....

Top Bottom