• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IMO, this is grandstanding on the part of TR to increase online "buzz" for marketing purposes, and nothing more. If they really wanted to teach their students mental and muzzle awareness in this way, they'd put an instructor next to EVERY target on EVERY evolution.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Find me an example of a downrange photographer who has been killed. Go ahead. I'll wait right here...

I don't see any danger in this. Some people are just too uptight about firearms safety, and any straying outside of the sacred Four Rules is just blasphemous to them.

I take a looser approach to gun safety, and I have never put myself or anyone else in danger. I understand the mechanics of the guns I deal with, and I trust them only to the extent that I understand them. I have demonstrated to many people ignorant of firearms that most guns will not fire unless you pull the trigger. I have thrown my loaded Glock down the stairs to prove this to a friend. I was chastised for that, too.

Grow up.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Find me an example of a downrange photographer who has been killed. Go ahead. I'll wait right here...

I don't see any danger in this. Some people are just too uptight about firearms safety, and any straying outside of the sacred Four Rules is just blasphemous to them.

I take a looser approach to gun safety, and I have never put myself or anyone else in danger. I understand the mechanics of the guns I deal with, and I trust them only to the extent that I understand them. I have demonstrated to many people ignorant of firearms that most guns will not fire unless you pull the trigger. I have thrown my loaded Glock down the stairs to prove this to a friend. I was chastised for that, too.

Grow up.

Yes, and I was one of the chastisers............. :D

I like you, but that is still a horrible idea. :P
    Stop it.

As far as the downrange photographers..........
    "Hey y'all, hold my beer while I take this here picture."
    Epic stupidity.
    The devil is waiting for a chance to bite your ass, don't raise the odds of a bite.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Yes, and I was one of the chastisers............. :D

I like you, but that is still a horrible idea. :P
    Stop it.

As far as the downrange photographers..........
    "Hey y'all, hold my beer while I take this here picture."
    Epic stupidity.
    The devil is waiting for a chance to bite your ass, don't raise the odds of a bite.

I like you, too. :)

So, did you find me an example of a downrange photographer being shot?

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger

Grow up.

Wow, really?
    I never knew someone could be too uptight with safety, let alone firearm safety. It doesn't matter if a down range photographer has or has not been injured before. It's like standing in the middle of the interstate. Just because you having been hit, still don't make it a good idea.

As for throwing a loaded gun down the steps to prove that it wont fire, it did put you and your friend in grave danger. Mechanical things can and will fail, no matter how well designed they are. Just because something was designed not to fire when dropped, still does not make it a good idea. What would you of done if the gun did go off? Would you still felt justified in proving your point? Hence the 4 rules. That is the whole reason for the 4 rules. And yes anything outside of the 4 rules is blasphemous.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    and i got made fun of for bad grammar!!!!......the people that own and run this site say it's ok for someone with a camera to stand down range when shooting?......for what a pic???....i guess you haven't seen a shot chronograph?.....then you say i didn't mean to shoot that......i just can't believe what i'm seeing here!!!!!!!.......get a tri-pod and a remote clicker.....

oh btw takin' shots pass someones head for a pic is not GROWN UP AT ALL......JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This topic is brought us a lot and I understand why. It IS dangerous for a man to voluntarily position himself down range in order to get a photograph. It is also dangerous to unload and load a gun and I would bet that most people who constantly point out the dangers of everything do not own sand barrels and use them EVERY TIME they load and unload their gun.

I'm not sure if the picture allows proper perspective of what is actually taking place. When we were down there, Jay did not stand downrange when we were shooting beyond a few feet. We were very close and I would estimate five feet or closer. At no time was the gun pointed directly at him, but yes, it was pointed in his direction. Still, there is no doubt this was a dangerous act.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    he thinks it ok too!!!!!!......you people pay this guy?.......i just don't get it?????

[video=youtube;1R3t0wuLDWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1R3t0wuLDWQ[/video]

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Wow, really?
    I never knew someone could be too uptight with safety, let alone firearm safety. It doesn't matter if a down range photographer has or has not been injured before. It's like standing in the middle of the interstate. Just because you having been hit, still don't make it a good idea.

As for throwing a loaded gun down the steps to prove that it wont fire, it did put you and your friend in grave danger. Mechanical things can and will fail, no matter how well designed they are. Just because something was designed not to fire when dropped, still does not make it a good idea. What would you of done if the gun did go off? Would you still felt justified in proving your point? Hence the 4 rules. That is the whole reason for the 4 rules. And yes anything outside of the 4 rules is blasphemous.

It wouldn't have fired. Even if something would fail, it wouldn't fire. You can't convince me otherwise.

Standing in the middle of the interstate is dangerous. I can prove that. You cannot prove that downrange photography is dangerous.

I'm still waiting on an example of a downrange photographer being shot.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

http://972mag.com/photos-palestinian-photographer-shot-in-the-face-by-israeli-troops/68897/

Egyptian Photographer Ahmed Assem Shot By Sniper And Films His Own Death (GRAPHIC VIDEO)

While likely not what you're looking for, it stands to reason that anyone who has ever been shot in the history of people being shot, was in fact down range of the muzzle from where the shot originated. Photographers included.

With that said, I don't personally have a problem with the way this is done in the controlled environment at TR.

Last edited:

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    It wouldn't have fired. Even if something would fail, it wouldn't fire. You can't convince me otherwise.

Standing in the middle of the interstate is dangerous. I can prove that. You cannot prove that downrange photography is dangerous.

Well, I must of miss understood that when someone is shot, they are "downrange" of the gun. I guess I need to go re-read the physics and trigonometry books to see where I get my misinformation. But till then, I'll stick with everyone behind the firing line just to make sure.

And I'll make sure I'm not at any range in which your shooting at. Since it's perfectly safe to throw a loaded gun and stand down range.

Been there, done that, don't plan on doing it again.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    wouldn't he have to be in front of someone's muzzle?

he sure was.....looked like about 10 or 15 of them........just as i said number hasn't been punched yet.......just a matter of time you play in the road you will get hit........would you be out there taking pic's?

Top Bottom