• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which one would you still consider buying?

• Total voters

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Isn't the .38 Super still popular on the competition circuit, and in foreign countries that prohibit civilian ownership of "military" calibers? :dunno:

If you really want to open the doors, we could throw in gems like the 9x23 Winchester, .41AE, and .400 Cor-Bon.

Yeah, a lot of Race guns are in .38 Super and it's big in Mexico b/c of the military cartridge ban. You just don't see many ordinary Joe's like me carrying them around. The 9x23 never really caught on and the 41AE was good but never made it either.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk Covertible in .38-40/10mm that is pretty fun to shoot. Love to shoot my S&W 610s as well.

TheBigE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Seeing how I have 4 firearms chambered in 41 Remington magnum, you could say I'm a little biased. It's a great cartridge for those that want big stopping power with a little less recoil.

I've never found any problems finding ammunition when I needed it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You do realize that handguns are used for more than self defense; right? I know plenty of guys who have very nice handguns, most of them high dollar custom rigs in .327, .41 mag, and 10mm. The .41 mag is an excellent target and hunting round for deer. The .327 is a great long ranger plinker, good target round and is great for popping jackrabbits at longer ranges due to it's flat trajectory and high speed; works good on coyotes as well. And I know a couple of guys who use 10mm/s both in revolvers and autoloaders for their sole deer pistol. I can see the .357 SIG as a good defensive round given its ballisitics. I know nothing of the .32 NAA or the .45 GAP, so I can't comment on those.

Doug K

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My 10mm is great for EDC, works well on bowling pins, steel, and wild hogs too. I have several Glocks, and two Ruger Revolvers. Loads are easy, cast bullet are cheap, and you can load them up or down as needed.

I hunt with a Ruger 41 Mag (Blackhawk), Taurus and Smith/Wesson have nice revolvers available too. I cast bullets and load them myself, the 41 Mag is plenty for whitetails, and several manufacturers have rifles available for the 41 Magnum also. I hunt and shoot with several that carry 41 Magnums and 44 Specials.

If you ever want to fire a few, let me know.
    I own, and reload a Ruger .41 Mag., and I love it... just not a lot of choices for it .....

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    I voted for the .357 sig because its just such a cute little cartridge. The 41 mag has the power but I already have a 44 mag that I reload for so if I want reduced recoil I just don't load so hot(bullseye). So if I was to buy a new weapon tomorrow it would probably be chambered in .357 sig, if I HAVE to choose from those calibers. :)

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'd love to see this poll expanded to a nationwide audience and forwarded to the various manufacturers.

Maybe they'd get the message.
    I'd love to see a Springfield XDm 10 and S&W M&P10, along with REAL 10mm ammo made by the big ammo companies. That'd be all kinds of awesome.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The 10mm had great potential and am disappointed that, short of Buffalo Bore/Double Tap/reloading, it is difficult to find the cartridge loaded to its potential.

Handguns not use for self-defense? ;) Say it ain't so!!

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This picture has always made me want a 10 mm.

10mm-1.jpg

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have had (3) of them. Owned a Ruger Redhawk in .41 mag. Something possessed me to trade it in on the same thing but in .44. The reason was only due to a wider range of bullet weights. Even though I really like the .44 now, I have regretted that move ever since.

Also had one of the first delta Elites. Had a few issues with the gun, but loved the cartridge. Will get another ( probably G20 ) once I get a few other things first.

Currently have (2) .357 sigs. It's what I shoot the most. I find it more fun to shoot than the other calibers I have, but cost about the same as a 9mm to load. Also, it doesn't hurt that I stocked up on brass back when the Brass Shop was selling once fired for $18.00 / 1000. :D

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Calling the .357Sig dead is just absurd. Plenty of LE organiztions including the US Secret Service are keeping it alive and well. Availability of sub $15 boxes of ammo does not make a round dead.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The 41Mag has an ongoing following - not large, but enough to keep it around. (including myself) It is a round that you need to be a reloader for though as they only do seasonal runs anymore it seems.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Calling the .357Sig dead is just absurd.

"Modern" and "dead" were used in combination for a reason in my post to imply that they're still around but what's the future.

Plenty of LE organiztions including the US Secret Service are keeping it alive and well. Availability of sub $15 boxes of ammo does not make a round dead.

And these same organizations make large contract purchases with a fixed life span (depreciating asset.) The same thing happened with the 10mm. What happens when those agencies prepare the next large purchase? Will it be .357 Sig again? :dunno: I don't think the .357 Sig became the next "killer app" cartridge that swept into mainstream use like the .40S&W, right? Will it "survive" the "marketplace" without once those .357 Sig are depreciated and the next contract purchases come up?

It was a question, not a statement of authority. You own a .357 Sig? :)

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    And these same organizations make large contract purchases with a fixed life span (depreciating asset.) The same thing happened with the 10mm. What happens when those agencies prepare the next large purchase? Will it be .357 Sig again? :dunno: I don't think the .357 Sig became the next "killer app" cartridge that swept into mainstream use like the .40S&W, right? Will it "survive" the "marketplace" without once those .357 Sig are depreciated and the next contract purchases come up?

It was a question, not a statement of authority. You own a .357 Sig? :)

I am hopeful that the .357Sig will bear the tests of time and market pressures. However I can see the similarities between .357Sig and 10mm... Will it follow or not. .40 S&W survives still.

Yes I do own a P226 in .357Sig. I like the little caliber in and of itself. Will it replace 9mm or .45ACP in my equipment lineup, nope. Still a nice little round though...

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm telling you. If they stopped making 10mm, Ted Nugent would bludgeon a pile of babies with a sack of puppies.

I don't care who you are - THAT's FUNNY!:):

I love my 10mm - still a great choice for 1911 nuts like me that want a little flatter shooting cartridge, espeically in the field. If loaded properly, you have a pretty potent deterrance against most critters you run into including hogs.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Out of all of those I would probably buy a 41 mag. I have most other common rounds from a 9 mm up to a 45 long colt except a 10 mm and 41 mag. Brother has a 10mm so I'll pick something different like the 41 mag.

Top Bottom