• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I'm trying to learn more. Don't know much but I think I want DCC. I want to have the sound effects.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune but would like a solid set. Eventually 4x8

I started with a $100 n gauge train set for Christmas about 6 years ago. It didn't take long to add another $500 to build a 4 x 8 layout. There's nothing cheap about playing with trains.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    HO is a good scale to start in, as the amount of equipment available is staggering. DCC is also the way to go, because should your kids become hobbyists, they'll end up going that way anyway, and converting EVERYTHING from DC to DCC is a nightmare (this I know). While MTH makes some very nice stuff, there is one half of the hobby still upset with them over practices they were involved with years ago (some lawsuits, threats, etc.), and their stuff can sometimes be proprietary. As suggested, pick up a Walther's HO catalog at your local hobby store, and get an idea of what you'd like from that. If you're more in a hurry, then get yourself to Hobbytown USA, and find what you like. Ebay is good too, but you'd better have a good idea of what you're looking for, cuz this hobby has alot of junk being sold for top dollar on there.

Myself, I buy Broadway Limited steam engines, and then modify them as needed per model. Some are fantastic out of the box (my N&W Class A 2-6-6-4, for instance) and some have some noisy gearboxes that need a little 'polishing'. Also, pick up a package of #58 Kaydee Couplers (cheap) for each car and engine. The kids will have a great time installing these more realistic looking and working couplers once the newness of a train running around in circles wear off. Kaydees will allow them to uncouple and couple cars, greatly expanding prototypical and realistic action. Good luck, and welcome to a hobby that will last a lifetime.

Next up for you and your kids: train chasing.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Big 4 hobbies in Plainfield has a really nice selection and a knowledgeable staff. I'd like to set up a track myself but I don't have the room anywhere and the wife said no! Women... Good luck with the search

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The one advantage of N scale is that you can build your whole layout on a 4'x6' sheet of plywood.

The HO is the most common. The G scale is huge (though there are ones so large that you can ride on them) and most have them in their backyards. And there is a Z scale small but often breaks too easily.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The one advantage of N scale is that you can build your whole layout on a 4'x6' sheet of plywood.

The HO is the most common. The G scale is huge (though there are ones so large that you can ride on them) and most have them in their backyards. And there is a Z scale small but often breaks too easily.

and due to size, N scale can also have some issues. Before I lost my space, I was building a 5x3 layout from Kato and right before I had to abandon it I was having massive power issues. mind blowingly weird. While my Bachmann HO EZ track that I would setup and tear down within 24 hours ran flawlessly. Something about those smaller engines was flaky as hell.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    A few months ago I got a box of toys from my dads when I was a kid opened them up and found our model trains. They happen to be mostly Norfolk Southern which is where I happen to work. There was also a Marine corps rail-car that has a rocket launcher on it that still works.
    Only problem is when I went into the Corps and my mom sold her house everything went to my dads basement that was ours. Some of the engines have some rust on the wheels, parts missing, and the tracks aren't in good shape after almost 10 yrs in storage. I plan on buying new tracks for around the Christmas tree, but whats the best way to go about cleaning the wheels? I have one engine that is complete, while the rest have pieces missing here and there.
    I think its kinda funny how the toys I had as a child turned out to be career paths I took.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    A few months ago I got a box of toys from my dads when I was a kid opened them up and found our model trains. They happen to be mostly Norfolk Southern which is where I happen to work. There was also a Marine corps rail-car that has a rocket launcher on it that still works.
    Only problem is when I went into the Corps and my mom sold her house everything went to my dads basement that was ours. Some of the engines have some rust on the wheels, parts missing, and the tracks aren't in good shape after almost 10 yrs in storage. I plan on buying new tracks for around the Christmas tree, but whats the best way to go about cleaning the wheels? I have one engine that is complete, while the rest have pieces missing here and there.
    I think its kinda funny how the toys I had as a child turned out to be career paths I took.
    Strange coincidence? You could clean the wheels with steel wool or you can buy new wheels, they are pretty cheap and probably a whole lot easier to just replace.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

Strange coincidence? You could clean the wheels with steel wool or you can buy new wheels, they are pretty cheap and probably a whole lot easier to just replace.

If you apply power to the wheels will the motors actually spin the wheels? If so they make a contraption that sells at any hobby shop that is basically a track shaped object with copper bristles on it and all you do is run the engine on top of it and it basically self cleans. Depending on the age of the models replacing parts may or may not be your best bet.

*shameless plug* The Naptown and White River Model Railroad Club will be having a train show at Manual High School on December 14th. We'll have close to 100 tables of vendors along with some running display layouts. There will be food there as well, and we will have Santa there. Unlike the 1500 we try to keep everything related to the show but there is sometimes the "sore thumb" table stuffed with the McDonald's kid's meal toys and other cheap random junk. Lots of brand new stuff but there is a ton of older used items that you could basically pick up for nearly nothing and use parts to fix what you have. But usually it is easier to attempt cleaning stuff instead of flatout replacing things.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    If you apply power to the wheels will the motors actually spin the wheels? If so they make a contraption that sells at any hobby shop that is basically a track shaped object with copper bristles on it and all you do is run the engine on top of it and it basically self cleans. Depending on the age of the models replacing parts may or may not be your best bet.

*shameless plug* The Naptown and White River Model Railroad Club will be having a train show at Manual High School on December 14th. We'll have close to 100 tables of vendors along with some running display layouts. There will be food there as well, and we will have Santa there. Unlike the 1500 we try to keep everything related to the show but there is sometimes the "sore thumb" table stuffed with the McDonald's kid's meal toys and other cheap random junk. Lots of brand new stuff but there is a ton of older used items that you could basically pick up for nearly nothing and use parts to fix what you have. But usually it is easier to attempt cleaning stuff instead of flatout replacing things.
    Did somebody say food :lmfao:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

G Scale is actually divided into a couple different categories. All use 1:32 scale track. Marklin (Germany) uses true 1:32 scale rolling stock. Bachmann and other US companies use 1:32 trucks but their rolling stock is actually larger in size, not necessarily true to any particular scale, and more accurately mimics a "narrow gauge" railway.

I have some of each type, but generally favor the Marklin's true 1:32 scale dimensions.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Yep the wheels move. Thanks for the info will get to work on this. Plan on putting around the Christmas tree and get some more use.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    With winter rapidly approaching I thought it was time to resurrect the model railroad thread. Now that I've completed another Kolledge degree and the room addition is winding down I'm thinking model railroad again. Many moons ago I had a 4x8 HO layout and then did an N scale layout on a cookie cutter style table. I've been cruising craigslist and there are several complete layouts for sale within a 1/2 day driving radius of my location so it got me thinking about it again. Are there any clubs convenient to Mooresville, the south or west sides of Indy?

As space is always a premium I'd probably do something on a pulley system out in the barn so I could move it up out of the way in the non-railroading months!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I wish I had the space... not enough room for my N gauge stuff apparently... What do wives know anyways?!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Naptown and white riveris a club on the soutside. Impressive place.

Naptown and White River Model Railroad

Ive got a bunch of the HO EZ Track for throwing together stuff on the carpet with the kids. I've got 10 totes of rolling stock that was my dads. Hopefully when the kids are grown I can take over the downstairs living room for a big HO layout.
    eztrack.jpg

I put this together but could never get it correct electrically. It was weird. So I put it up to play with it another day. I'm old school and run DC with isolated tracks/switches. No extra funds for DCC stuff, which is REALLY hard to find and pricey for N. $400 for a loco? No thanks.

Nlayout.jpg

Top Bottom