Mixing alcohol and gunpowder (thread split)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Surely you do not suggest that armed men (and to stay on topic, armed men who are open-carrying!:D) should be consuming alcohol!? :runaway: :alcoholic:I will not be your designated shooter, either! :lmfao:

Blessings,
    Bill

I see nothing wrong with the Spartans open carrying and drinking. I wouldn't be the one to tell them they can't! :p

Also, I've open carried while drinking. But I never get drunk. :thumbsup: Only when I do plan on more than one beer or shot do I put it away. :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I see nothing wrong with the Spartans open carrying and drinking. I wouldn't be the one to tell them they can't! :p

Also, I've open carried while drinking. But I never get drunk. :thumbsup: Only when I do plan on more than one beer or shot do I put it away. :D

I'm not going to be the one to tell anyone s/he can't carry, openly or concealed. I have my opinions on whether or not they should do so, but having an opinion does not equate to the power to make rules for others.

Further, I know the discussion has been had here regarding "how much is too much?" and that the point has been raised that any alcohol in your system at the time of a SD shooting is going to be used against you by an overzealous prosecutor, presuming you have one, despite the absence of law specifying a "legal limit". How do you justify (to yourself) the risk you take in combining alcohol and firearms?

Is it that you have to be alive to be tried?
    The fact that there is no law criminalizing that?
    The idea that you "can handle it"?
    or something else entirely?

If this goes too far into a threadjack from a threadjack thread ;), I'll split it to it's own.

Thanks for the reply!

Blessings,
    Bill

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm not going to be the one to tell anyone s/he can't carry, openly or concealed. I have my opinions on whether or not they should do so, but having an opinion does not equate to the power to make rules for others.

Further, I know the discussion has been had here regarding "how much is too much?" and that the point has been raised that any alcohol in your system at the time of a SD shooting is going to be used against you by an overzealous prosecutor, presuming you have one, despite the absence of law specifying a "legal limit". How do you justify (to yourself) the risk you take in combining alcohol and firearms?

If this goes too far into a threadjack from a threadjack thread ;), I'll split it to it's own.

Thanks for the reply!

Blessings,
    Bill
    I'll go with have to be alive to be tried.

Personally I think it is up to the indivdual to know their limits. For me drinking in public with my firearm is not a bigh deal because I would not drink so much as to become intoxicated in public anyway.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Thanks for the reply!

Blessings,
    Bill

I'll go with have to be alive to be tried.

Personally I think it is up to the indivdual to know their limits. For me drinking in public with my firearm is not a bigh deal because I would not drink so much as to become intoxicated in public anyway.

Bill, This ^. Just because I happen to be at a bar doesn't mean I shouldn't have the means to protect my drunken friends/self. I hardly ever go to bars but when I do, I never drink more than a couple beers or shots. If I do, I leave it at home or in the car.

I understand the risk in getting into a SD shooting intoxicated, but I also adhere to the strict policy of not ever drawing unless my life or someone else's life is CLEARLY threatened. A beat down is not one of those times. :): OTOH, if I'm at a bar, it's one of the very few times I'm carrying concealed and being more polite than I normally would.

Not that I"m not always polite, but I become overly polite because I know how drunks can be. :D

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I pray that the walk goes well on the 26th. If, heaven forbid, something does happen or go wrong, you better hope the press don't read your last post about "doesn't mean I shouldn't have the means to protect my drunken friends/self."

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I pray that the walk goes well on the 26th. If, heaven forbid, something does happen or go wrong, you better hope the press don't read your last post about "doesn't mean I shouldn't have the means to protect my drunken friends/self."

Now wait just a minute. What's the problem with that? Especially if I'm not drinking, what's wrong with me wanting to protect myself or my friends? Even if I've only got a single beer in me, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to protect myself from someone trying to kill me.

So heaven forbid the media reads anything we post here on INGO. Lord knows they'd twist everything we say here to fit their needs anyway. :dunno:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Dobroyu ootro

Evening, not morning, and the transliteration scheme is atrocious. You want добрый вечер.

(Former 20833A, the AF has changed the classification system, now it looks like it would be a 1N333A--although these days mostly when I try to come up with Russian it comes out Japanese.)

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Evening, not morning, and the transliteration scheme is atrocious. You want добрый вечер.

(Former 20833A, the AF has changed the classification system, now it looks like it would be a 1N333A--although these days mostly when I try to come up with Russian it comes out Japanese.)
    :+1: Multi-lingual rocks.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

I ran it through three translators and came up with afternoon...:dunno:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's why I drink at home.

As do I almost everytime. :D Which is to say twice a month. Maybe. Sometimes more. I don't like drinking. I don't like the feeling of being drunk let alone buzzed. You can't control yourself when you're drunk, and you become sloppy and slow when you're buzzed.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    splitting topic to new thread

My opinion would be to split this topic to a new thread starting with the post you quoted here.

Just my :twocents:. Carry on!:)

ETA: Thanks, BoR! :yesway:

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If you drink while carrying...it's a disaster in the making. You're playing with something that could turn and bite you in the rump. To me personally, it wouldn't be worth the potential of spending time in prison. And do you not think that an attorney wouldn't jump on the fact if he's hired by the family of the guy you shot while drinking?

Any bartender that serves you knowing you're carrying is also setting themselves up to be included in the potential lawsuit. As does the owner of the bar that employees the bartender that serves you.

It's just personal opinion. Whether you do or not is entirely up to you. I just don't feel it's worth the risk. :twocents:

They close the bars when you vote...but you can carry a gun into nearly any bar and drink. Crazy... IMO

Hell...if there's a time to need a drink it's at election time. ;)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've said it before on other threads, but I don't feel drinking and firearms belong together. Just as I don't feel drinking and driving belong together either.

It's pretty easy for me because I almost never drink.

Personally, I think getting to the point of being drunk is not the wisest thing. But I guess that's just me.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As do I almost everytime. :D Which is to say twice a month. Maybe. Sometimes more. I don't like drinking. I don't like the feeling of being drunk let alone buzzed. You can't control yourself when you're drunk, and you become sloppy and slow when you're buzzed.

Then why do you drink?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have said before that I don't feel for myself alcohol and guns mix. But I'll qualify that a bit, if I'm going out to a bar with a DD where I may get intoxicated I won't be carrying, but if I'm out with the family having dinner, and feel like having a drink with dinner, the fact that I'm carrying won't effect that. Or if I'm at family or a friends house and they offer me a beer, I'll accept 1, maybe even 2 if it goes beyond that good chance it will be coming off and getting put up.
    Hell...if there's a time to need a drink it's at election time. ;)
    Agreed:cheers:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom