Mixed feelings about gander mountain........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I wen to Gander MNT for the first and possibly the last time, and i have mixed feeling about Gander mountain now. I went to the one in Greenwood today, with my dad and bro. My dad wanted to get a new trolling motor and my bro wanted to look for his first gun. so my bro looked and found a beretta inox he really liked, but was priced in my opinion higher than normal, as i figured it would be from what everybody has told me. I tell him to pass and we would go to bradis where ive seen the same one cheaper. so we find the trolling motor and take it up to cashier. my dad tells him he wants to put half on his debit card and pay cash for the other half. So he scans his card the guy at the counter hits a couple buttons and says oops...... i charged your card the whole amount. Okay, so I just just refund the money and redo the purchase.... Scans his card again and now its rejected, the manager comes up calls someone on the phone and says your money will be refunded in 3-5 business days..... theres nothing they can do... Now my dad doesnt have a ton of money and has been saving up for this trolling motor for a while, and now because of there mistake he has to wait till his money is put back on his card and drive the 30 min drive again because you guys screwed up...

My wife is a asst manage at att so i know enough about custmer service to not be ok with that, so i spoke up and told them that this is not acceptable way to treat paying customers and they need to do something and take care of the issue. So manager looks at me and says he is going to take 10% off of it which came out to be about 70$. Then he said no im not im gna take off 100$ instead of the 70$ for our inconvenience... So because he did that i went ahaed and paid for the trolling motor... I know im just ranting but im perterbed about the outrageous prices, but was pleasantly suprised the manager sucked it up and did the right thing customer service wise... So theres why i have mixed feelings about Gander MTN

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Definitely have to read the whole post to get your point. At first I thought you were going to blast them, but then it turned out ok. Glad it did work out! :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You have to be careful with most of the cashiers these days. If the register does not tell them the amount of change they are easily stumped....just saying

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's happened to me before. In fact, during one furniture purchase a company tried to double charge me and actually exceeded the credit limit. We got it straightened out that night, though. I'm not sure I understand why they couldn't issue a void and re-do the transaction.

As far as the gun prices yes, they are a bit too high. Personally, I would definitely buy from a LGS first unless they can't get the gun in stock and then I'd go to Gander. They do price match, though, so keep that in mind. With regard to the Beretta, nice choice. Inox. Even nicer choice.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Well lately i have encountered managers at other stores namely room place in avon, They suck i will never spend another dime with them again, that thought they could just treat there customers like crap..... So it was nice that someone finally still cares about customer service..... other than the stupid high prices i was happy how we were treated.......

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Glad it worked out but two things-

Cashiers are only human and it happens. Next time do the cash portion first. Honestly, equal blame there. Hopefully lesson learned.

Refunds... that's how they are processed. It's standard via the CC companies, it isn't the fault of GM.

Accidents happen and the manager went above and beyond. I have no idea how you could ask for more?

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Glad it worked out but two things-

Cashiers are only human and it happens. Next time do the cash portion first. Honestly, equal blame there. Hopefully lesson learned.

Refunds... that's how they are processed. It's standard via the CC companies, it isn't the fault of GM.

Accidents happen and the manager went above and beyond. I have no idea how you could ask for more?

Yes as i was voicing my displeasure i was very respectful and didbt raise my voice.... as far as paying cash first , i cant see how that was any blame on him for not giving cash first.... The manager did go above and beyond and i give him kudos for that..... but to tell anybody that because the cashier made a mistake they have to find the time to come back is unacceptable and yes i agree people do make mistakes, but the main thing is if the business knows it was thee mistake they need to make it right no matter what. Customer service 101...

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    While I am glad all worked out for you. I fail to see any blame on the part of your father for not doing the cash part first. That is just a really wrong statement. I suggest a better training for the cashier.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    You know at Target (and other places I'm sure) the credit card input thing says "slide your card any time and save time"? I have a friend who always slides while they are ringing stuff up. If something gets scanned too high and they are just shoveling crap through, you don't notice and BAM! the transaction is over. Now to contest any incorrect prices or say you forgot to give gift cards before they total out, you have to go to the service desk.

Yes it is partially your fault the same way that getting rear ended is partially your fault. You didn't have to be driving, and if you weren't driving - it wouldn't have happened. Rear end accident is almost always the hitter's fault, but the insurance company will assign a percent of blame to the "innocent" party.

Overall, I would feel good about the experience (taking the overpriced/list pricing they have there). I have yet to even mention price matching to one of the associates, but I assume that if they are getting thousands of guns in, they have to be more competitive to be profitable.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'd say you got a good deal. Paying half with cash and half with cc is not a standard request. The cashier probably should have asked his manager if he didn't know what he was doing, but getting a $100 discount is more than generous imho.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    And just to clarify I ddnt make this thread to bash gander mountain or the workers ther... As I stated I was pleasantly surprised and happy about the customer service. I was simply saying that from all the statements made on this forum I kind of expected to b treated worse in the customer service dept. the prices wer the only thing I wasn't really excited about.

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Sounds like it worked out. Like others have said, while unfortunate those things do happen. At least they tried to make it up to you. I too have mixed feelings about GM in general. I've bought a few guns there and feel that they were fairly priced, but most of their other merchandise is grossly overpriced. I stop in there fairly often and can't believe what they charge for clothing/camping gear etc...Bass Pro of all places is usually cheaper.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    He wasn't out anything, the fact he did use the debit card and they had to refund it. When they do that it takes like 3-5 Days to refund the money on the card. The point is they made a mistake and tied half of the money for the purchase up for 3-5 days until it was returned on the. But they did make up for ther mistake as I said before, they did have good customer service in my first time ther

Garand41

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Trafalgar
    Gander Mountain is a great place to go and browse for things you might want. Then, go home and buy it on line. As for guns... I think you can buy them cheaper about anywhere you go!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had this happen a couple of times before. Once it was when a transaction appeared not to go through but it really did. The retailer reversed the charges, but unfortunately that's just the way debit cards work. The bank places a hold on the funds for a set time limit (ie. your 3-5 days).

Next time you get gas, take a look at the pump next to where you swipe your card. I've seen them have a notice saying that your card may have a hold placed on it that is higher than the actual purchase. That's because you swipe your card first and then dispense the gas. Since the total is unknown until you finish pumping, they place a fairly high hold on your account, which gets released when the actual charge goes through for settlement. Unfortunate when it happens, but it's really more of a bank policy than a retailer policy. Glad they did take care of you with the discount at least. :yesway:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Isn't Gander Mountain a self scan? Or did he hand the card over?
    As someone who has been a Cashier before, you HAVE to give the cash first. The machine rings up the amount, then we hit either Cash or Credit/Debit. If you hit cash, it subtracts the cash given, and then you hit Credit/Debit. If you hit Credit/Debit first, then it will charge the entire purchase to the card. The cashier should have instructed you to hand the cash over first.
    There might be a way to charge the card first, but I sure don't know how to do it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Isn't Gander Mountain a self scan? Or did he hand the card over?
    As someone who has been a Cashier before, you HAVE to give the cash first. The machine rings up the amount, then we hit either Cash or Credit/Debit. If you hit cash, it subtracts the cash given, and then you hit Credit/Debit. If you hit Credit/Debit first, then it will charge the entire purchase to the card. The cashier should have instructed you to hand the cash over first.
    There might be a way to charge the card first, but I sure don't know how to do it.
    Nope. No self scan, at least at the Greenwood location.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I want to know why is it that they can take the money instantaneously, but it takes 3-5 days to put it back? That makes no sense. They get paid right away, but the customer has to wait for a refund, I though all this electronic crap was going to make it faster and easier.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    If you ever do a half cash / half CC transaction always pay with the cash first and then put the remainder on the card. This would have prevented this situation entirely. It is good that they compensated your dad for their mistake. Many places would have just said "Oops" and not thought twice about it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom