• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I wish he took that same stance for k-12 sports during his 2 terms as governor. How many tax dollars have funded sports programs in the last 8 years?

That I do not know. Purdue has always been this way, so he is just jumping on a winning horse, in a sense.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I wish he took that same stance for k-12 sports during his 2 terms as governor. How many tax dollars have funded sports programs in the last 8 years?

Probably 99.99% of public schools. With the exception of a few of the very large school systems that can charge enough admission and sell enough concessions to cover it, it is pretty difficult for a k-12 athletic program to be self sustaining, even if very well run. There is simply not much in the way of revenue, but in many cases some pretty steep expenses to ensure safe participation.

By that same note, how many other elective events, such as academic clubs, choirs, bands, etc. are funded by tax dollars?

I honestly think it is an apples and oranges comparison. :twocents:

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Lets be Honest! A university "president" job is to bring in funding/donation. Mitch will bring in a ton of cash to that school. The key is, Can he get the graduating students to stay in Indiana?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Lets be Honest! A university "president" job is to bring in funding/donation. Mitch will bring in a ton of cash to that school. The key is, Can he get the graduating students to stay in Indiana?

My money is yes. There are a lot of companies investing in Indiana right now, and will be looking to hire new college grads. Purdue has some majors that fit pretty well in the Tech / Automotive / Ag / BioMed sectors that seem to be doing quite well in Indiana right now.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Excellent point! Mitch will do extremely well as a president. The humility he brings to the post is more than refreshing. Far too often those who have cut their teeth in academia become so entrenched in their ways, they cannot do anything fresh. I admire the move and wish Purdue well. :yesway:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    As an alumni, I'm alright with Mitch. Purdue has some financial issues hopefully he can work out. My biggest complaint is that damn Makers All BS. That is the worst piece of **** marketing push that I've ever seen. If he walks in, kills that crap, and walks out I don't care if they pay him for all 4 years. I'm surprised there hasn't been a revolt thus far. That's a revolution I can get behind. Makers all...it just makes me angry to hear it in my head.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    :scratch:

I think they receive state funds, but I don't think they are state ran.

Governor $107,000/yr
    Current Purdue President $425,000 plus bonus

Good on him for earning that pay raise.

As for things being state ran...

The Governor of Indiana has the luxury of appointing Purdue's trustees (those folks that decide who get to decide who the school's President will be)... Daniels appointed or re-appointed 100% of the trustees (including the student trustee) during his time as Governor.

And before anyone poops their pants... I'm not saying that Daniels isn't qualified. I'm just saying that this looks like a prime example of why some people hate politics.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Nepotism can definitely be argued here, but I can't find my Reynolds Wrap.

It would require tin foil to believe that the trustees are his family members...

But really... You think it takes tin foil to believe that it's possible that someone who gets elected to a public office could benefit by appointing people to a position who then in turn can turn around and appoint that official to a paid job? Especially if he had some previous business with those people?

And for bonus points...

10 minutes + Google looking at just the ones that Daniels appointed (not re-appointments) will show you that:
    At least 2 of the trustees have companies (or family members with companies) that very likely financially benefited from contracts with the state related to convention center construction projects. Another's company received more than 1.5 billion in federal funds funneled through a joint Indiana/Illinois project signed by Daniels and Blago.

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Excellent point! Mitch will do extremely well as a president. The humility he brings to the post is more than refreshing. Far too often those who have cut their teeth in academia become so entrenched in their ways, they cannot do anything fresh. I admire the move and wish Purdue well. :yesway:

I agree completely. My ties to Purdue are deep and long term and I am very encouraged to hear of his appointment. He will certainly be a huge improvement over the current president.

When he made his speech in reply to Obama's state of the union address, I sent Gov. Daniels an email and asked him to run for president, I meant of the United States, but Purdue is the next best thing.

Terry

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It would require tin foil to believe that the trustees are his family members...

But really... You think it takes tin foil to believe that it's possible that someone who gets elected to a public office could benefit by appointing people to a position who then in turn can turn around and appoint that official to a paid job? Especially if he had some previous business with those people?

And for bonus points...

10 minutes + Google looking at just the ones that Daniels appointed (not re-appointments) will show you that:
    At least 2 of the trustees have companies (or family members with companies) that very likely financially benefited from contracts with the state related to convention center construction projects. Another's company received more than 1.5 billion in federal funds funneled through a joint Indiana/Illinois project signed by Daniels and Blago.

Good catch! I meant cronyism, but I think you knew that. :yesway:

I'm not saying it's a far stretch. I'm just saying that I believe he will do a good job and hope people will allow him to do so.

Top Bottom