Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :popcorn:
    Subscribing to find out what their response will be.

Good for you JD. (I'm guessing that sign must be standard language for restaurants/businesses in other states where the "no guns" signs carry the force of law.)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've actually found that most of the restaurants in SB/Mishawaka are gun friendly. I've Open Carried at Red Robin, Red Lobster, IHOP, Hacienda, Chik-Fil-A, Texas Roadhouse, Logans Roadhouse, Steak and Shake, Olive Garden, Famous Daves, and BW3 just to name a few. I've never had a problem. The only place I've been asked to leave was Wings, Etc on Ireland/Ironwood, but that was about 8 years ago and things may have changed.

BW3's corporate policy is to ban guns.

images.jpg

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I've actually found that most of the restaurants in SB/Mishawaka are gun friendly. I've Open Carried at Red Robin, Red Lobster, IHOP, Hacienda, Chik-Fil-A, Texas Roadhouse, Logans Roadhouse, Steak and Shake, Olive Garden, Famous Daves, and BW3 just to name a few. I've never had a problem. The only place I've been asked to leave was Wings, Etc on Ireland/Ironwood, but that was about 8 years ago and things may have changed.
    No.....nothing has really changed. In fact I expect if you open carry at Carrabbas you will have the same experience you had at the places you mentioned. The corporate offices care more about it than the local restaurants do.

BTW the Pollo Rosa Maria was very good

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've only eaten at Carrabas once....not exactly a place I feel the need to visit again. The food wasn't great or terrible and the whole dining experience was forgettable. There are plenty of other places to eat in SB/Mishawaka area that offer the same type of food and atmosphere (without the anti gun crap their doors). I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if there is any news of them seeing the error of their ways and making a change to policy or if I'll have to stop in with one of those "no guns, no $" cards.

You've been to the wrong Carrabas! The one on the southside of Indy sets the standard for service, atmosphere and menu quality that I've never seen matched, not even by restaurants that claim to be high end!k:rockwoot:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hmmm... My wife asked for a dinner at Carrabas for her birthday. We usually hit the one in Carmel. I'll have to look for a sign, and will likely be OC (as usual). We've eaten there several times, and it has never been an issue.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    BW3's corporate policy is to ban guns.

images.jpg

Went into Anderson's BW3's on Friday OCing. Ordered my food and they said it would be 45min. Wife and I walked arround a shop for a while went in 45min later and it took them another 15min. I stood there at the counter no one said a word.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I believe there are corporate owned BW3'S who have this policy and franchises that do not necessarily have/enforce the same policy. The BW3 in Merrillville by the mall has a sign that says that it is a franchisee owned store and there is not a no-guns sign anywhere.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    carrabas in carmel

Hmmm... My wife asked for a dinner at Carrabas for her birthday. We usually hit the one in Carmel. I'll have to look for a sign, and will likely be OC (as usual). We've eaten there several times, and it has never been an issue.

I drove by there the other day and the Carmel location looked as though it were closed. It was the middle of the afternoon as well.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I drove by there the other day and the Carmel location looked as though it were closed. It was the middle of the afternoon as well.

Man, oh man. I'm in trouble now! Checked their website, and the only two in Indiana are Mishawaka and Southport! She's gonna be bummed.

Thanks for letting me know, though! Would have sucked to drive up there and find out THEN.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Carrabbas corporate.

Very pleasant call.
    The person calling was a representative of their legal department.

Here is a summary of the call:

1. They have taken the sign down. (will need to confirm this)
    2. It was stated that the business surely doesn't want to do anything illegal and wants to comply with laws.
    3. I was asked for guidance on what they can do.
      1. I stated they are allowed as a business to post a sign with wording similar to no firearms allowed. Clarified that even with this sign lawful carrying a firearm with a License To Carry a Handgun is not illegal. If discovered while on the property the owner may request for the individual to leave or remove the firearm and lock it in their vehicle. Additionally recommended not to do this as only law abiding people may follow this sign whereas the bad guy has no regard for this type of sign. In fact they may look for this sign as it indicates an easy target and a gun free zone.
    After our phone call and in less than 10 minutes I received an email from corporate for additional follow up.I sent them the IC 35-47-11.1-2 thru IC 35-47-11.1-7. with some further comments below.

1. Quote from my email message in addition to the IC:
        1. Additionally I'd like to make some recommendations.

I know over the phone I spoke of a choice for a business to post a sign with some wording that states no firearms allowed. I stated this is a choice of a business to post this type of sign. If a "no firearms sign" is posted it's not illegal for an Indiana resident
          (or other state with reciprocity) who has a valid License To Carry a Handgun to lawfully enter the business.

If a person is discovered to be carrying a firearm while on the business property then the owner may investigate and either ask the person to leave or remove their firearm and lock in their vehicle or ask the person to conceal the firearm or allow it and do nothing.

Additionally may I recommended for Carrabbas to
          not post a no firearms sign as only law abiding people may comply with this sign whereas the bad guy has no regard for this type of sign. In fact they may look for this sign when casing a place as it indicates an easy target and a gun free zone.
    Overall a pleasant experience and I feel like they listened and are willing to learn and do the right thing.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Good for Carrabbas! I third Hoosierdood and Lance comments. I don't recall an issue anytime with SB/Mishawaka food places. Not even the BW3 near Ireland and US 31. I don't think they have any sign, anyway.

We hit that place almost every time we shoot at Kodiak. They have flatbread dishes that kick ass.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    Looks like Carrabbas was open to your ideas and handled themselves like big boys. I will be sure to stop in the Mishawaka location sometime soon and spend some of my money with them. Hopefully this time the dining experience is one that I remember as a good one and want to be a frequent patron. Their open mind already makes me want to be a regular. +1 OP and to Carrabbas!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The one in Carmel closed a couple of months ago. I guess that the 'no guns' policy drove all of the customers away.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    I oc'd at the southport carrabas without issue. They blow olive garden out of the water. Why do women love olive garden?

Top Bottom