• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Has anyone ever looked at a mining claim as a SHTF bugout location? There are some restrictions (can't build a building among the biggest) but look like the have pretty good water resources, are rather large, and are remote.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    In Indiana?

I know of a person that bought an old rock quarry and lives on a rock shelf. It's quiet and a very nice swimming hole for him and the family. The only problem is everyone could snipe at him all day from above on three sides.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Isn't the water around mines and quarries usually pretty contaminated/poisonous?

Mines...general answer is "there's a good chance of it". Depending, of course, on the type of mine and when it was started / abandoned. The newer environmental rules governing that kind of stuff has REALLY helped things from where they once were. Reclamation rules in place now are also rather stringent.

These days, though, a quarry pit won't be any more polluted than any of your nearby farm ponds; unless livestock have access.

-J-

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to work for a guy that owned approx. 3300 acres in western KY. had 25 lakes and ponds, diverse topography and woodlands. IIRC it was reclaimed Peabody coal mine property, and it is surrounded by operational coal mines. He has a large lodge, several out buildings, it has the option of being off grid, as it has Propane tanks, a milsurp diesel generator (he later ran power to the lodge), and a cistern that pumps out of one of the lakes for everything but drinking, but there were never any issues of drinking it. The roads were dirt, some gravel, and some were coal byproduct?? (dont know what, but it made good roads, and he got it dirt cheap by the tri-axle). He ended up putting up a high game fence around 3000 acres of it and is now a commercial hunting retreat. They've got Bison, Elk, white tail, turkey out the wazoo, and great fishing... not to mention duck and goose hunting....
    I used to love going down there, it's pretty much a preppers dream property. Unfortunately I lost contact when I left the company.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    I used to work for a guy that owned approx. 3300 acres in western KY. had 25 lakes and ponds, diverse topography and woodlands. IIRC it was reclaimed Peabody coal mine property, and it is surrounded by operational coal mines. He has a large lodge, several out buildings, it has the option of being off grid, as it has Propane tanks, a milsurp diesel generator (he later ran power to the lodge), and a cistern that pumps out of one of the lakes for everything but drinking, but there were never any issues of drinking it. The roads were dirt, some gravel, and some were coal byproduct?? (dont know what, but it made good roads, and he got it dirt cheap by the tri-axle). He ended up putting up a high game fence around 3000 acres of it and is now a commercial hunting retreat. They've got Bison, Elk, white tail, turkey out the wazoo, and great fishing... not to mention duck and goose hunting....
    I used to love going down there, it's pretty much a preppers dream property. Unfortunately I lost contact when I left the company.

this guys not looking to adopt a son is he?:dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom