• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I did a search here and haven't found a thread on these. I've only ever handled one in the gun store. Thinking of picking one up as an "everything" rifle. Seems like a good platform for SHTF, hunting and even just range shooting. Any tips on different models, stocks and other hardware etc? Am I off track in my thinking? Any info on these would be great, thanks.

If there is a thread on this already I'll gladly close this one down.

-PFC

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I did a search here and haven't found a thread on these. I've only ever handled one in the gun store. Thinking of picking one up as an "everything" rifle. Seems like a good platform for SHTF, hunting and even just range shooting. Any tips on different models, stocks and other hardware etc? Am I off track in my thinking? Any info on these would be great, thanks.

If there is a thread on this already I'll gladly close this one down.

-PFC

I own a nice Mini-14, recently I have gotten into the AR platform though.

It depends what kind of price you can get on the Mini, because you can go AR for maybe $200-$300 more.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Mini-14 rifles have been ripped by the AR15 crowd for lack of accuracy. The main problem is that pencil thin barrel. Three or four rounds down it and it starts to heat up, throwing accuracy out the window. For two or three shots, it's a fine rifle. Just don't count on it to be an accurate poor man's assault rifle.

That said, the newer ones with the barrel harmonizer are a definite improvement.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    The mini-14 is one of the most understood rifles there is..............target rifle?...says who? it's a plinker! Reliable? yes! SHTF Oh boy you got it...factory mags and you are in the fight. I own one and it's always ready:rockwoot:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have two if them, both are the Ranch rifles with the nice peep sights. One I keep in open sights, the other has a fixed 6X scope and they both go prarie dog hunting every year. They shoot as accuarate as the other AR guns in the group except the Les Baer's.

Both feed fine with good 30 round mags, the cheap mags do not work. They both have several thousand rounds through them with no major problems, and do not seem to vertical string and worse than my RRA AR when hot. if you ever want to try one, let me know.

They will also shoot 95 gr for deer quite well in zero degree weather in Ontario,2.5 inch at 200 yards.

splunkinoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    I have a 195 series in stainless, ranch with a wood stock. It's a very good gun, with some Ruger mags the thing is ridiculously reliable. I do have some aftermarket mags that work great though. As someone else said, the cheap mags will not work. The newest model mini's have a lot better accuracy. The target models throw brass out at 12 o'clock and the ranch models toss it at 3-4 o'clock. The brass is also going to get launched 30'+ feet.

People complain about the accuracy on these because they are not tack drivers. Hot barrel after about 10 shots, I can probably hold a 3"-5" group, leaning on something at 100 yards. They are a great gun for what they were made to be, reliable and portable.

If you want a gun that you can pull out and shoot without having to worry about when the last time was you cleaned it, this is probably going to be the one. Mine sits under the seat in my truck 24/7.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have had a few. Maybe not a tack driver, but do you need a tack driver for what you want? Reliable and rugged. Lots of ranchers carried them in their truck when I lived in West Texas a few years back.

Tirador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Otwell,IN
    go to "perfectunion bbs" The Mini is a perfect SHTF weapon. Out of the box on the older ones you could cover your 100 yrd. groups with your fist, but wih a little tweaking these older models can shoot 100 yrd. groups you can cover with your thumb. The newer ones are easier yet. My mods cost about $350 including StrikeForce stock,reduced gas bushing,reduced recoil spring,frt.& rear buffers,trigger job target crown, and barrel stabelizer.

Last edited:

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i have 2 mini 14's.they are probably the most durable and reliable guns i own.you can modify them out just about anyway youd like.however buy factory magazines even if their some extra money their worth it.ive never had any problems what so ever with my 2 minis.i can throw any brand of ammo at them and they will eat it all up.great guns.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've got one of the newer all weather mini 14's and love it. Great, reliable rifle. I've not had a problem with accuracy due to barrel heating up, shot hundreds of rounds through mine in 1 range session and zero problems. I do agree with getting the quality factory mags vs the cheaper ones, their expensive but seem to work a lot better.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i forgot to add that if you do purchase a mini 14.be aware especially at the gun shows for the cheapo mags marked up around $30-$40.had a friend that bought a couple at a gun show thinking that, well if their that expensive they must be good.he was wrong..

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    mini

have multiple guns i could chose from(including ar15) but my mini is the always loaded ready to go to gun. always reliable with any ammo ive put thru them. target guns? no. but more than good enough if your target is 6 feet tall!:D

wingback43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Mini 14 are bery reliable - stainless mags are great - they even chew up wolf ammo - although I clean and clean after....

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I'm and AR fan but I own a Mini and I have to say as a plinker its perfect but it will not group as well as other rifles in the same price range.
    But I will say it is one of the best looking guns I own, stainless ranch in a Butler Creek folder with a cheap scope and magto match the finish! It is just cool to look at (what can I say I grew up watching the A-team)!

Top Bottom