• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I bought a new stainless mini-14 in 2002 (non-rancher) an have put god who knows how many wolf and other cheap rounds thru it. Within that time, I've given it one quick cleaning and it still goes strong. Only reliability issue I ever had with it was with this plastic cased crap I bought about four years ago. Every so many rounds or so, it would yank the brass rim off and cause a jam. Other than that, never a problem with metal cased ammo and this gun is DIRTY!

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Great gun

I have a 182 series that used to be carried as a trunk rifle for a detective. It is the stainless and wood combo. I have no idea how many rounds have been put through this gun, but it's still going strong. Like many others have stated, it's not the most accurate gun out there, but it goes bang every time. I, like others, have had issues with crappy aftermarket mags, so stick with the factory mags. I like to use mine with the open sights for close quarters coyotes. :ar15:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have had a couple and they were always a good shooter. As others have said, maybe not the most accurate, but they are a good reliable gun to have around.

movevio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    a mini in stainless and synthetic was the first semi auto centerfire i bought and i still shoot the hell out of it. the perfect coyote pushing gun

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I never said they were a bad rifle. I have owned two Mini-14 rifles in the past, one blued with a wood stock in the ranch configuration and later one of the stainless with synthetic stock in the standard configuration. If you are willing to settle on 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards, it will suit you fine. A lot of people that don't shoot regularly will probably not be able to hold a 4 inch group no matter what rifle they use, so you might as well save a few hundred $$ over buying an AR-15. That said, I never had a jam with either Mini-14 that I owned while using a factory magazine. Most aftermarket mags are crap. The only other drawback that I can see is cost in magazines. All the above posts recommend staying with factory magazines for reliability, and I whole-heartedly agree. Factory 30 round Ruger magazines can easily run around $50.

So, bottom line is...

AR-15: Initially very expensive, can easily run twice the cost of a Mini-14. Reliable, accurate, and 30rd magazines for $10 and up.

Ruger Mini-14: Can be found new for half the cost of most AR-15 rifles. Reliable with factory magazines. Not incredibly accurate, but a reliable plinker. Factory 30rd magazines for $50.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I had a Mini many years ago; it was reliable, it was NOT accurate. 5-6" at 100. That is not acceptable to me, I'd rather put the money toward a better rifle (I did).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of people like the Mini-14. I'm not one of them. I forget how many passed through my hands before I gave up on them. SIX, I think, all brand new.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, none were very accurate, POI shifted when they got hot, and they were jam-o-matics with non-factory magazines.

To be fair, this was back when Ruger provided only 5 round factory mags, so standard capacity factory mags were not widely available. It's also possible that Ruger has improved the design over the last 10 years, I don't know. But that's my personal experience anyway.

Switched the the AR platform and have never looked back. I really wanted to like the Mini-14 because it was cheaper (initially) than the AR and is such a handy little carbine, but I just couldn't get it to work for me.

Give one a try and see what you think. YMMV.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Where can you find the factory mags for the Mini-14 for less than about $40 for a 30 rounder? I have had some trouble with the aftermarket ones in the past. It can generally, however, be corrected by adjusting the retention wings at the top with a pair of long nosed pliers. I would prefer that I would not have to do this. Cheaper than Dirt has them, but they are as high as every place else and with their shipping charges, probably a lot higher!

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Where can you find the factory mags for the Mini-14 for less than about $40 for a 30 rounder? I have had some trouble with the aftermarket ones in the past. It can generally, however, be corrected by adjusting the retention wings at the top with a pair of long nosed pliers. I would prefer that I would not have to do this. Cheaper than Dirt has them, but they are as high as every place else and with their shipping charges, probably a lot higher!

You can't......

That's why I tried out the steel 30 round Pro-Mags. They are as close to factory as you can get. I have not had any problems from them, but they are still $25+ each.

Top Bottom