• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    You can buy one, just don't expect to hit where you aim much past 125 yards, this is my personal experience from owning one for a VERY short time in the late 90's. I got rid of it quick, not something I could fall in love with. Now the new ones, I hear, are more accurate than the thin barrel older ones.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Bought a Mini 14 in 1994, right on the eve of the hi cap magazine/ assault rifle ban, as I could NOT afford an AR at that time. The aftermarket Ramline folding stock broke a couple years ago. Replaced it with a Hogue stock (the best stock ever). Even though I own 2 ARs, the Mini is still the most dependable gun, and it does not have all those small parts, springs, gas rings. When SHTF, I would grab this gun, knowing that is has no issues. But, alas, it is not as accurate as an AR.

czyhorse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Seymour
    Had one of the earlier models. Loved the look and feel of the rifle. Loved the reliability. HATED the accuracy of the thing. I tried to love this rifle, but the inaccuracy was a deal breaker. Sold it. If I can find a good deal on one, I may try one of the newer models to see if the thicker barrel improves the performance.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Never owned one as these never intrigued me. You can get an AR for about the same money.

Looking in to getting a mini 14... what do you guys think about this rifle? also, I hear that there is a certain serial number that is more accurate (?) than others?

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Dont be afraid to buy an older mini there are four people in my house so we have four mini's.A couple of older ones and a couple of newer ones. There is not a huge difference in them that I can tell.They are not as acurate as my AR,s but they are way more reliable.I bought one that had a broken gas port bushing and you can tune the spent brass with different size bushings so it doesn't fly a mile away.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    My 2 cents....I've own 3, all thin barrels, accuracy was the deal breaker. The last one I tried every trick in the book. With hand loads got grps down to 2" @ 100 yds., but POI would wander terribly as much as 6"s. Honest, I like Mini's, wanted a handy Varmite/Knock around rifle. It must hit POA first shot though and all the Mini's I owned just couldn't do that....:@ya: ......Duce<><

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My 2 cents....I've own 3, all thin barrels, accuracy was the deal breaker. The last one I tried every trick in the book. With hand loads got grps down to 2" @ 100 yds., but POI would wander terribly as much as 6"s. Honest, I like Mini's, wanted a handy Varmite/Knock around rifle. It must hit POA first shot though and all the Mini's I owned just couldn't do that....:@ya: ......Duce<><

I understand your problem, had the same one.
    This is how I solved it https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/112406-cryogenic_barrel_treatment.html and now I love my mini.
    Its about the size and weight of a .30 caliber M1 Carbine with more power and cheaper ammo!:rockwoot:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I fell for the mini-14 when I first saw them in a guns and ammo mag when I was a teenager. I kept that mag for years. I believe this was the beginning of my love affair with Ruger. Picked up mine (thanks dad...) at the time of the "assault weapon" ban. I have not shot it in years, but this post has rekindled the fire. I had to get it "out" (was not that far away) and take a look at the serial number to see if I was close to the 580. I am at 186. I am thinking at 125 yds, it will shoot a lot tighter than I can shoot/see. I do remember enjoying hitting the clangers.... It seemed more like plinking than shooting. I love the way it feels, have always preferred the wood stocks over plastic. I am intrigued with the cryo treatment though. Can I assume that it is fail safe and will not damage the barrel?

Last edited:

NiceGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    By the way, they are great guns. I prefer the stainless models. The bluing on my older mini-14 needs to be wiped down frequently.

sem351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Have a Mini-14 that I bought lightly used in 2004, and I love it. It's a ranch model, blued barrel and has a wood stock. I have a swift 3-9x40 scope on it, and I can hold 2-3" groups at 100 yds. which is good enough for me considering the rifle. I have ran hundreds of rounds through the gun and NEVER had the rifle jam. I bought the Mini for the action, which I feel is superior to the AR action. Have two 5 round factory mags and some larger capacity aftermarket mags that have given me no problems. I'd buy another one just to have one more!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I fell for the mini-4 when I first saw them in a guns and ammo mag when I was a teenager. I kept that mag for years. I believe this was the beginning of my love affair with Ruger. Picked up mine (thanks dad...) at the time of the "assault weapon" ban. I have not shot it in years, but this post has rekindled the fire. I had to get it "out" (was not that far away) and take a look at the serial number to see if I was close to the 580. I am at 186. I am thinking at 125 yds, it will shoot a lot tighter than I can shoot/see. I do remember enjoying hitting the clangers.... It seemed more like plinking than shooting. I love the way it feels, have always preferred the wood stocks over plastic. I am intrigued with the cryo treatment though. Can I assume that it is fail safe and will not damage the barrel?

Mine turned out fine, but it probably depends on the quality control of the people doing it. 300 Below has a very good reputation. Some say the barrels are easier to clean after the treatment.
    I guess just pick a reputable company.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Mine turned out fine, but it probably depends on the quality control of the people doing it. 300 Below has a very good reputation. Some say the barrels are easier to clean after the treatment.
    I guess just pick a reputable company.

I looked up 300 Below's website prior to my post. They made a believer out of me as far as them being the authority on that particular process. My mini is stainless which I believe I read could benefit from the process.

bd1024

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    Mini 14

The newer ones with the tapered barrel are very accurate, and have always been dependable. -- Mine will never be for sale, love it.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Mini's get bad mouthed a lot on hearsay alone. Read Col. Jeff Cooper's review of the Mini from 1975 and see what he has to say about them. Mine have been flawless in function and that's the part that concerns me most. Are they accurate? They shoot better than I can aim them.
    Below, for the sake of comparison, is my 185-XXXXX stainless fitted with a Mo-Bar stabilizer and my 580-XXXXX tactical with its shorter thicker barrel and factory flash suppressor.
    400728174.jpg

400728179.jpg

400728180.jpg

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    No flames intended....Doug and others have suggested ways to solve a Mini's accuracy problems..Truly Thanks. The problem I don't like spending that amount of money then spending more to solve a design flaw. From the box they should hold their own against a SKS. I always felt that a heavier barrel would help. Hope someone will post a range report with targets. A mini maybe in my future. Just don't like a EBR slung across my back when tooling around the backroads on my 4-Wheeler........:@ya:.....Duce<><

Top Bottom