• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have two, have had a total of four and loved them all. I've basically moved through blued non-ranch to stainless ranch and now have a synthetic stainless ranch and one of the folding/railed tactical versions.

Don't get me wrong, I love my AR's but if I ever really NEEDED a semi center-fire I would probably grab my Mini-14.

I shoot long-guns left-handed and the safety is easier for me to operate as well.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    $50 a piece for a magazine, that's what's so bad.

If you're rich, enjoy your mini. The rest of us can't swing that much for a magazine. If your weapon uses detachable magazines and you only own 4-5 magazines, have fun with that, especially if they're unique to that weapon.

The mini is, in my opinion, best for the casual shooter who needs a nice handy rifle. It isn't a "gunfighting" weapon, simply for logistics reasons, just like a lamborghini probably isn't top choice for your local track meets. Does that mean it's garbage? No, it just has appeal to a different crowd.

Don't throw stones at me. I am reporting what Suarez International DVD says about it. It says right on the cover: "Just as good as any other Rifle".

I can remember when AR15 mags were going for 30, 40, 50 dollars a piece not that long ago. After the 1994 gun ban, prices went crazy. And we paid the price to feed our rifles.

Genuine Ruger mags are pricier right now than AR mags for sure, but not unaffordable. They certainly are stronger and more durable than aluminum AR mags. I hardly consider them out of anyones price range.

As for me, I prefer my M1 Garand.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Had one in stainless. Least accurate firearm I have ever owned. It's also the only firearm i have ever sold. needless to say i was disgusted with it.
    Mine was blued steel, but same results on lack of accuracy. A waste of ammunition. The accuracy was the only thing I hated about the rifle too.

Also the only firearm I've ever sold.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    amega mounts for mini 14

I have one of the newer '580' series mini-14 and like it a lot. I also found a great rail system for the mini's. The mount is low, tough, good looking and it let's you put about any dot sight on which is good for old eyes.
    Just click Amega Mount for the web-site.
    The Amega mount attaches in a snap and is removable later if you want to return it to stock condition. The other cool thing about it is the extra reinforcement of the barrel, which can improve groups somewhat. I really like this system a lot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    almost 3times less than a m14/m1a though and that action you have to love

Buying a substitute is a fast way to throw money down the drain on the way towards getting what you actually want.

You can get a springfield M1A for $1400 or less... Not really 3x more.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    mini14Humor.png

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Buying a substitute is a fast way to throw money down the drain on the way towards getting what you actually want.

You can get a springfield M1A for $1400 or less... Not really 3x more.
    1400 if you want a scocom but who really wants one of those if anything get a super match $2200 the polytech m14 doesnt count its a peace of junk

dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    I had a ruger mini andthe only problem I had was that it HATED Wolf ammo. I was given a few boxes when I bought it and they would jam or if you were shooting fast they would even fire before fully seated. Not cool.:xmad:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I have one of the newer '580' series mini-14 and like it a lot. I also found a great rail system for the mini's. The mount is low, tough, good looking and it let's you put about any dot sight on which is good for old eyes.
    Just click Amega Mount for the web-site.
    The Amega mount attaches in a snap and is removable later if you want to return it to stock condition. The other cool thing about it is the extra reinforcement of the barrel, which can improve groups somewhat. I really like this system a lot.

I'll second the Amega Scout Mount as a great accessory for the Mini. I put one on one of mine. It takes less than 15 minutes and allows the use of long eye relief,(LER)scopes and red dots. The added support of the barrel tightened the groups. They also seem to help draw heat from the barrel and allow the rifle to cool down quickly.

I like the Mini, not as many add on's as some platforms and like was said the mags are a little pricey but they are a fast handling carbine with decent accuracy, not great, but decent. The way I look at it, for the price of the gun and 5 extra mags you're still under just the price of a low to middle of the road AR and the most important thing about a mini, they are just plain fun to shoot.

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    bought a mini in april and couldn't be happier with it. Stick with Ruger factory mags, by far the most reliable of any on the market. As to wood vs. synthetic it's a matter of what you like in the looks department, prefer the wood myself. The mini is one of the most reliable semiauto rifles I have owned, have yet to have any failures to fire or eject with several different types of ammo, even the cheap stuff. Get one and shoot the c##p out of it. enjoy

Top Bottom