Mini 14 accuracy (new 58x-xxxxx heavier barrel)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I took this to the range once I put a Redfield scope on it. I was shooting 55 grain at 50 yards. The range does not have a range officer so setting targets is a pain(since most people here in Florida at the public range just shoot and shoot at nothing). I was able to get decent accuracy but not the greatest. Accuracy was acceptable but this is a pretty wide group for 50 yards. The mini is always fun to shoot, reliable, but accuracy is underwhelming. I got this one for $500 used but I personally don't think they are worth much more than the price I paid. The kid I got it from tried to hide that he stretched out the trigger guard too far and I didn't notice till the action fell on the floor on the way home. I should have wondered about the action given the way he awkwardly handed it to me upside down for inspection. I tweaked the trigger guard a bit in a vice being careful not to hit the trigger with any pressure and had no problems again in terms of function and reliability. Below are some photos of the rifle and the accuracy I was getting with this cheap ammo. I would suspect the groups would tighten up with better and heavier ammo but for most purposes this would do the job.
    2zg95sh.jpg

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So glad they fixed them since the 80s. Those guns were absolutely WORTHLESS. They tended to shoot REALLY low. When shooting at a driver, it would ALWAYS hit the radiator. When shooting at a man sized target, it ALWAYS shot below them. These guys should have sued Ruger. Oh wait, they couldnt...

a-team.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Haha...i think the a team is why a subconsciously want this gun though it sucks

I wanted one until I held one, and probably for the same reason. Its like a poor man's M1A. (OK, the mini 30 is) I'm a lefty, and for some reason my support thumb wanders up. That square bulge on the barrel shroud ends up digging into my thumb. So no thanks.

Were you shooting from a sandbag, or free? Have you tried other bullet weights? I know some twists and barrels are more accurate with different ammo. It would be interesting to get it in a sled on an indoor range to see how accurate it really is.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I was on a bag and yes-everybody has a reason to hate the mini but no one can explain why we love them too...they are very fun to shoot...u can also have a lot of fun flinging brass on these yankee hating florida people -(for yankee think people from anywhere north of tn)
    I wanted one until I held one, and probably for the same reason. Its like a poor man's M1A. (OK, the mini 30 is) I'm a lefty, and for some reason my support thumb wanders up. That square bulge on the barrel shroud ends up digging into my thumb. So no thanks.

Were you shooting from a sandbag, or free? Have you tried other bullet weights? I know some twists and barrels are more accurate with different ammo. It would be interesting to get it in a sled on an indoor range to see how accurate it really is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Try various bullet weights before you give up on it as a close range only weapon. It could just be picky.

And you would think that a multi million dollar movie could afford a $2000 M1A. SMH

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I definitely will try some different bullet weights. I read up on this subject the other night and some were reporting much better accuracy with heavier bullets. I would have gone out to 100 yards but you have to tell all the rednecks to stop shooting at imaginary targets. It is really weird but these people where I moved are satisfied to do mag dumps at nothing (not an exaggeration). At one time a guy's mom was shooting his gun and had it pointed over the berm. She shot it once and he shouted "bullseye" and I was wondering if the bullet had even landed yet. Cease fires are about 25 minutes apart and you need to set up about 10 targets to plan for these extended times. Most of the time, I just walk around after shooting a few shots and tell women whose boyfriend's are "teaching" them to shoot to not cross their thumbs behind the slide. I have saved at least one woman every time I go and that is a fact. Not many people know what they are doing. Most of the time, some guy is fiddling with his new gun on the line when folks are down range changing targets. It would be funny if it weren't so dangerous.

Try various bullet weights before you give up on it as a close range only weapon. It could just be picky.

And you would think that a multi million dollar movie could afford a $2000 M1A. SMH

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I definitely will try some different bullet weights. I read up on this subject the other night and some were reporting much better accuracy with heavier bullets. I would have gone out to 100 yards but you have to tell all the rednecks to stop shooting at imaginary targets. It is really weird but these people where I moved are satisfied to do mag dumps at nothing (not an exaggeration). At one time a guy's mom was shooting his gun and had it pointed over the berm. She shot it once and he shouted "bullseye" and I was wondering if the bullet had even landed yet. Cease fires are about 25 minutes apart and you need to set up about 10 targets to plan for these extended times. Most of the time, I just walk around after shooting a few shots and tell women whose boyfriend's are "teaching" them to shoot to not cross their thumbs behind the slide. I have saved at least one woman every time I go and that is a fact. Not many people know what they are doing. Most of the time, some guy is fiddling with his new gun on the line when folks are down range changing targets. It would be funny if it weren't so dangerous.

You gotta love Florida Man.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Many years ago, mid 90's, the first wife liked the mini vs an AR. Sent it out to a guy in Texas, I think, who rebarreled it and did some other work on it. Long story short, it would shoot a 5 shot sub MOA consistently using Fed 69gr match ammo. It can be done if you're willing to spend the $$ but why bother?
    Don't really miss the ex or the rifle:cool:

Bob

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Basically, you have to spend the price of an ar15 to make it shoot like a an ar...that doesnt make a lot of sense. By the time you are done you may as well have bought a m14 or an m1. You just have to be willing to accept them for what they are or kick them to the curb (like you did your ex :D )
    Many years ago, mid 90's, the first wife liked the mini vs an AR. Sent it out to a guy in Texas, I think, who rebarreled it and did some other work on it. Long story short, it would shoot a 5 shot sub MOA consistently using Fed 69gr match ammo. It can be done if you're willing to spend the $$ but why bother?
    Don't really miss the ex or the rifle:cool:

Bob

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy bought a Mini 14 Ranch when they first came out (wood topcover).
    And it did just at an inch at 100 yds.
    Rare, but a few actually shot well.
    Like winning the lottery though.

As for the Clooney pic up thread, chick is up against a rubber extended eyepiece (glare blocker).

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    glare blocker is true observation. She still lost her eye later if you watched the movie.
    My buddy bought a Mini 14 Ranch when they first came out (wood topcover).
    And it did just at an inch at 100 yds.
    Rare, but a few actually shot well.
    Like winning the lottery though.

As for the Clooney pic up thread, chick is up against a rubber extended eyepiece (glare blocker).

Smoker9000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Logansport
    You might be able to shrink that group a little, but minute of paper plate is what they are known for. Even the "match" model won't out shoot a decent ar, due to the terrible harmonics of the piston I assume. But like everyone eles I love them too, just something about a wood stocked semi-auto rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You might be able to shrink that group a little, but minute of paper plate is what they are known for. Even the "match" model won't out shoot a decent ar, due to the terrible harmonics of the piston I assume. But like everyone eles I love them too, just something about a wood stocked semi-auto rifle.

They make wood for an AR, but I think it looks bad.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Nope. Didn't watch. It has Clooney in it.

No reason to watch it. Very average movie at best.
    I bought one around 1990 I'd guess. I didn't keep it long. Looked fairly cool and I just had to have it. I thought something was wrong with it 'cause it shot so average with multiple types of ammo.
    I still think they look cool but I no longer own one.
    Yours shoots much tighter than mine did.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I had a mini-14 once. I tried just about every factory load available and even my reloads through it and still couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if I were standing inside. If I had to hit a pie plate at 50 yards to save my life, I figured I had about a 50/50 chance of survival.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Here is my question; I know several foreign SWAT type forces use them, as well as patrol rifles. Can they really tolerate that bad of accuracy? Or have they been given "special" ones that actually ARE accurate?

Top Bottom