Mini 14 accuracy (new 58x-xxxxx heavier barrel)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Here is my question; I know several foreign SWAT type forces use them, as well as patrol rifles. Can they really tolerate that bad of accuracy? Or have they been given "special" ones that actually ARE accurate?

I think they could be a good rifle or at least a lot better with some effort on the manufacturer. The bedding on mine was horrible and I just didn't feel like putting more money or work into it when there were other rifles available for the same $$ that needed nothing other than the effort to work up a good load for accuracy.

What range would those SWAT teams be shooting at? I doubt they would choose it for their snipers.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    The Mini-14 was my first "big" rifle. I bought it while still in high school and it had a red dot on top. Stainless Ranch rifle with a silver scope. Super nice to look at. I didn't really know squat about shooting tight groups back then but it was "paper plate accurate" all day long and boy would it dump some mags! I bought the Ramline folder and several extra mags so I could be A-Team on a budget.

A few years later I bought an AR and the Mini was traded for a carry gun soon after. They're awesome rifles for throwing on a 4 wheeler or keeping as a trunk gun but they do nothing better than an AR and they're inherently less accurate. These rifles aren't for shooting tight groups. They're for beating up and carrying during daily tasks. They'll give you a reliable minute of man group when needed.

Ruger addressed the accuracy issues in the mid-2000s and the "new" rifles are accurate. If you have one of the older ones you'll have to match it up to ammo it likes and hope for the best. If you buy a new one, you should be OK right out of the box.

And you would think that a multi million dollar movie could afford a $2000 M1A. SMH
    Wasn't this movie set in Europe?

I don't think many M1As were sent to Europe so it's likely the characters wouldn't be able to find them there.

Here is my question; I know several foreign SWAT type forces use them, as well as patrol rifles. Can they really tolerate that bad of accuracy? Or have they been given "special" ones that actually ARE accurate?
    There was a select-fire model sold to police forces of Europe. I think it's the French National Police (or whatever they're called) who use them quite a bit. There are pictures out there of them being used after the most recent Paris fiascos.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of these rifles but police forces typically don't worry too much about the accuracy of their patrol rifles, especially in cultures where they don't shoot often and only carry a rifle AFTER something unpleasant has happened. In that case, I'm guessing they're much more concerned about being able to spray rounds rapidly as opposed to make accurate hits. *in French accent, "She shootz very fast."

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I took this out again on sunday evening to a dead range. It was just me, my friend from Pa, and those darn biting horseflies. The mini was hitting clay targets everytime at 75 yards. That is more than I can say for the other mini 14s I owned although I did kill my first (and only hog) with a mini 30. The mini 14 I now have was accurate, predictable, and reliable. I took out some Ar-15s and zeroed some optics and then i found myself wanting to shoot this rifle. They do have the fun factor.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have a 580 series mini14 plastic stock and stainless. With my lousy eye sight, I could repeatedly hit 8 inch steel plate at 100 yrds with the sights. I would rather have a AR but now I don't think anyone would trade an AR for a Mini 14.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was the same way, had wanted a Mini 14 since I was 15, but when I had money I always ended up getting a gun with more practical value. Fast forward 39 years and last year I was watching Hickock45 on Youtube and I saw his Mini 14 vid, and I instantly knew I was going to get one.

I've only shot mine out to 50 yards, and I typically shoot off-hand, so I wasn't driving tacks, but I was doing just fine with it. I did put a scope on it right after Christmas, but I haven't had the chance to sight it in. Maybe then I'll see just how accurate it is.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    minis cost more than basic ar-15s and no doubt you would find a taker if you offered it for trade. For fun, you cant beat a mini but I dont think it would be a go to gun.
    I was the same way, had wanted a Mini 14 since I was 15, but when I had money I always ended up getting a gun with more practical value. Fast forward 39 years and last year I was watching Hickock45 on Youtube and I saw his Mini 14 vid, and I instantly knew I was going to get one.

I've only shot mine out to 50 yards, and I typically shoot off-hand, so I wasn't driving tacks, but I was doing just fine with it. I did put a scope on it right after Christmas, but I haven't had the chance to sight it in. Maybe then I'll see just how accurate it is.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think the lack of accuracy of the Mini-14 and Ruger's insistence on limiting magazine capacity were two of the major reasons that the AR platform became so popular with civilians. They are a neat looking rifle, but I'll take my M-4forgery every time.

Top Bottom