• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    We throw the word 'mindset' around frequently here in the Tactics and Training forum, and the training community in general. I don't often hear it discussed in much depth. People say someone has it, had it, or should develop it, etc. But I don't see too many topics on what it is and how it works.

What is "Mindset"? What does that term mean to you?

Is it something you have or you dont'?

Can "Mindset" be developed?

Once attained, can it be lost?

Is "Mindset", in the contest of gunfighting, a static thing where, once achieved, you have "the Mindset"? Or is it a fluid thing that changes with your mental and emotional state?

Is it on/off, or a continuum or more complex state?

When someone says they "have the mindset" or are "developing the mindset" what does that mean to you?

I look forward to seeing how people view the term and what it means to people.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A big part of it for many people is finding a balance with their morals. Many people feel as though they could do something until put into the situation which requires it and then they second guess themselves or otherwise hesitate. That hesitation can be costly.

Another part is emotion. Many people are more controlled by their emotions in terms of their decision making then they think. That in turn can also be a severe hinderance in dangerous situations.

Neither of these are easily overcome if even possible for some.

The simple term "mindset" can entail a LOT in the context of firearms, self-defense, survival, etc. Understanding one's own mind and how they reason should be a person's first step to identifying where their individual weaknesses will be. Until you have an idea of that, you can't really work on "developing" a proper mindset.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The simple term "mindset" can entail a LOT in the context of firearms, self-defense, survival, etc. Understanding one's own mind and how they reason should be a person's first step to identifying where their individual weaknesses will be. Until you have an idea of that, you can't really work on "developing" a proper mindset.

I agree. I think it entails more than most people consider when they throw the term around online. This is why I wanted to have the discussion and see what people think when they hear the term.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I agree. I think it entails more than most people consider when they throw the term around online. This is why I wanted to have the discussion and see what people think when they hear the term.
    I suggest people take an MBTI test. It's not 100% accurate for each person, just as anything in life. BUT, it can give a person a solid insight into how they reason and what motivates their decision making. From there they can formulate an idea on what they need to individually address to prepare or "develop" a mindset.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    We throw the word 'mindset' around frequently here in the Tactics and Training forum, and the training community in general. I don't often hear it discussed in much depth. People say someone has it, had it, or should develop it, etc. But I don't see too many topics on what it is and how it works.

Is "Mindset", in the contest of gunfighting, a static thing where, once achieved, you have "the Mindset"? Or is it a fluid thing that changes with your mental and emotional state?

When someone says they "have the mindset" or are "developing the mindset" what does that mean to you?

I look forward to seeing how people view the term and what it means to people.

JMHO, mindset, is what YOU make it. YES, it is training. It is your "attitude" toward anything.
    MY mindset is, this, (whatever it is) is MINE, and if YOU try to take it by force, YOUR force, will be met with EQUAL force, and if that doesn't work, then I will do what I have to do, to KEEP what is MINE !!!!! :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Oh great topic.

While it could be described in various forms using different examples or analogies, I like the dictionary's definition as a place to start.

mindset

mentality: a habitual or characteristic mental attitude that determines how you will interpret and respond to situations.

I believe everyone already has a mindset, whether it be a "good" one, a "bad" one, or something in between. When people talk about "mindset" in regards to defense, what they're actually talking about is a "good defensive mindset".

Anyone's mindset can be changed or molded. When we talk about "developing a proper mindset" we're talking about changing the way we approach certain topics or problems. Hopefully we are trying to develop a mindset that allows us to solve problems.

Lost? No. But a proper mindset can certainly be changed into something dangerous or harmful.

I think mindset is always changing. As we grow and learn and experience different things our mindset evolves.

It's constantly on, good or bad.

When I say "developing a mindset" I mean continuing to learn and grow and form an attitude that helps me be a better person-- whether than means a better shooter, fighter, driver, husband, or father. In the context of a defensive mindset I mean being a student of defense, of combat, and interpersonal relationships.

Some basic principles of a proper defensive mindset that I've personally tried to develop:

• Don't give up
    • Adapt when necessary
    • Don't underestimate your opponent
    • Learn something from every experience
    • Explore every possibility
    • Use "always" and "never" sparingly
    • Don't go looking for a fight, but be prepared when it is brought to you
    And the list could go on.

So for a basic answer-- "mindset" is your attitude.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    SSGSAD and esrice sort of eluded to it too, but to point out IME

People limit themselves through their mind. Our bodies are more often then not capable of performing FAR beyond what our MINDS will ALLOW them to do.

Those who've been in the military will completely understand what I mean by this, but simply put "you don't truly know what you're capable of, until you've been pushed to the limits of what you're NOT capable of." One must learn their real limits to know what they can and cannot do.

The military, specifically infantry or combat arms MOSs, are incredibly good at getting men to learn their limits and realize what they ARE capable of. This is often perceived by those who have not been tested in this way (average civilians) as "arrogance" when it's really understanding their TRUE individual limitations because they were forced to discover them. It's really just a level of confidence that's been achieved, BUT if you go INTO a fight with the THOUGHT you might/will lose...you WILL.

Mind over body. KNOW you're going to win. To build the ABILITY to KNOW this, you must push yourself past limits and past what you keep telling yourself "you can't do."

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    if you go INTO a fight with the THOUGHT you might/will lose...you WILL.

Mind over body. KNOW you're going to win. To build the ABILITY to KNOW this, you must push yourself past limits and past what you keep telling yourself "you can't do."

I have not been in the military.

I don't disagree with what you said. However... Is there a danger to over-confidence? If you go in "knowing" that you are going to win, and end up feeling you're on the losing end, can that attitude be dangerous to your survival? If a person who never considered losing has to face that possibility, their whole sense of self may be lost and their mindset with it.

It seems to me the value in knowing your limits also lies in knowing what you cannot do as much as what you can. You know what you can take and what you can't. You know when to press on and when to retreat or rethink your approach.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have not been in the military.

I don't disagree with what you said. However... Is there a danger to over-confidence? If you go in "knowing" that you are going to win, and end up feeling you're on the losing end, can that attitude be dangerous to your survival? If a person who never considered losing has to face that possibility, their whole sense of self may be lost and their mindset with it.

It seems to me the value in knowing your limits also lies in knowing what you cannot do as much as what you can. You know what you can take and what you can't. You know when to press on and when to retreat or rethink your approach.
    Knowing what you can do and cannot do are equal in the sense of my post/what I intended to say. It's not a matter of "going in knowing you're going to win" in a literal sense, but in that frame of mind. It's truly difficult to describe, but the confidence I speak of is really knowing what you cannot do equally as to what you can do.

The possibility of losing is always there. It's merely an accepted risk that's always there, so "why focus on it" so to speak. What you're defining as "over- confidence" is not really accurate because you know there's that possibility but you shouldn't let it control your mind. It's sort of related to one's "will to survive" but you must focus on winning, not on the what ifs.

If that's where you hang up on your focus, then that's the level at which you will perform.

While understanding what you both can and cannot do, that doesn't inherenly imply that one should take unecessary risks in the assumption they can handle it still....as many seem to feel. You still think, plan, act accordingly. Your knowing of your limits should not change this. If it does, then that's where it crosses the line of arrogance. Taking unecessary risks.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The possibility of losing is always there. It's merely an accepted risk that's always there, so "why focus on it" so to speak. What you're defining as "over- confidence" is not really accurate because you know there's that possibility but you shouldn't let it control your mind. It's sort of related to one's "will to survive" but you must focus on winning, not on the what ifs.

In my last post I was going to include an example that discussed this idea and how understanding your capabilities makes it more likely. I didnt include it because I didn't want to shift focus away from the question. But I agree with what I think you are getting at.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In my last post I was going to include an example that discussed this idea and how understanding your capabilities makes it more likely. I didnt include it because I didn't want to shift focus away from the question. But I agree with what I think you are getting at.
    It's truly difficult to explain.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think everyone has a mindset. Some people have the wrong one but they still have it. I also think it can be developed and improved through effort, training and thought.

I think mindset is an attitude that enables the person to prevail or triumph if they have the skills to go with a proper mindset. Mindset by itself is not enough. Gun handling and shooting skills by themselves are not enough and are just part of the equation.

A proper defensive mindset would be one that says I won't be a victim, and I won't rely on others to save me. I will take precautions, and be prepared for the worst case scenario, and I will do what is necessary to succeed in that situation when it presents itself. A proper mindet allows one to be confident in ones abilities, and it allows fear to be controlled so that the proper reaction can be brought to bear on the threat.

If you think you suck then you do. If you have trained and developed your skills and you believe you are good then you are.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I have my own definition and scope of the word, but I'd like to read more from others before I chime in.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Isn't "Mindset" intrinsically tied to situational awareness?
    :twocents:

IMHO, yes, and vice versa. I would think practicing "situational awareness" would also in turn change your mindset.

I have only been carrying for 4 years, but I am learning that everything we do, from drills, to drive fire practice, to watching and reading about training, all affects "mindset".
    I made mistakes in the beginning that make me cringe because of the different mindset I had then, compared to now.

It is an ongoing process, always changing, always evolving, and if it isn't evolving, I would think that in itself would be a sign that something needs to change..

:twocents:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is something I posted up on my FB page a few weeks back and I think it sort of embodies mindset, as it has to do with living mindset, every single day.

tapedhands1.jpg

"On occasion, I find myself at a cocktail party, talking to a banker, an attorney or an accountant. They know what I'm into, so eventually the conversation turns to self defence. At some point these men tell me how they would kill anyone who would dare harm their kids, or loved one. Really? This from an overweight man with soft hands, holding a martini, who spends his free time working on his golf ...game, playing Wi or watching spectator sports while shoving crap food food in his mouth? A man who hasn't seen the inside of a gym in 20 years, who has never been in a fight, who has never fired a gun or used a stick or knife against another human, but keeps a 9 iron behind the door for protection. He's gonna kick some ass when the time comes?

The dude who is about to rape his preteen daughter at knifepoint in front of him? He's 225 pounds of bone, muscle and scar tissue. That man was raised on pain. Beaten and molested by his mom's boyfriends, jumped into a gang, sent to prison where he survived by being violent and hard. A man who was never, ever shown mercy and has no idea what that is. A man who gets what he wants through force, violence and terror. He spends his time working out, fighting and studying ways to hurt people. Every day.

And now, the banker, lawyer or accountant is gonna take that guy down, toe to toe?

Words cannot describe how fracked up that is. Yet I hear it all the time. Bravado.

What have YOU done today, to win your fight and survive? Train hard my friends. Train like your life depended on it. Every, single day."

Mindset is something you live every single day. Its not simply "rising to the occasion" or telling yourself you are a badass because you have a gun and are really good at HALO. If you aren't living it, every single day, then IMO you lack mindset.

Top Bottom