• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have my own definition and scope of the word, but I'd like to read more from others before I chime in.

I am going to post right here because I really want to hear what Shay has to contribute. Otherwise I am enjoying this thread.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Here is something I posted up on my FB page a few weeks back and I think it sort of embodies mindset, as it has to do with living mindset, every single day.

tapedhands1.jpg

"On occasion, I find myself at a cocktail party, talking to a banker, an attorney or an accountant. They know what I'm into, so eventually the conversation turns to self defence. At some point these men tell me how they would kill anyone who would dare harm their kids, or loved one. Really? This from an overweight man with soft hands, holding a martini, who spends his free time working on his golf ...game, playing Wi or watching spectator sports while shoving crap food food in his mouth? A man who hasn't seen the inside of a gym in 20 years, who has never been in a fight, who has never fired a gun or used a stick or knife against another human, but keeps a 9 iron behind the door for protection. He's gonna kick some ass when the time comes?

The dude who is about to rape his preteen daughter at knifepoint in front of him? He's 225 pounds of bone, muscle and scar tissue. That man was raised on pain. Beaten and molested by his mom's boyfriends, jumped into a gang, sent to prison where he survived by being violent and hard. A man who was never, ever shown mercy and has no idea what that is. A man who gets what he wants through force, violence and terror. He spends his time working out, fighting and studying ways to hurt people. Every day.

And now, the banker, lawyer or accountant is gonna take that guy down, toe to toe?

Words cannot describe how fracked up that is. Yet I hear it all the time. Bravado.

What have YOU done today, to win your fight and survive? Train hard my friends. Train like your life depended on it. Every, single day."

Mindset is something you live every single day. Its not simply "rising to the occasion" or telling yourself you are a badass because you have a gun and are really good at HALO. If you aren't living it, every single day, then IMO you lack mindset.

This is a good point. I think we probably have a lot more talkers and thinkers here on the forum than we have doers who walk the walk every day. I can think of several ways where I am too lax or have skewed perception of my abilities.

Actions speak much louder than words to illustrate mindset.

Maybe we need a "What have you done to improve your mindset (or readiness for the fight) today?" thread like the one in Survival and Prep forum.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    We throw the word 'mindset' around frequently here in the Tactics and Training forum, and the training community in general. I don't often hear it discussed in much depth. People say someone has it, had it, or should develop it, etc. But I don't see too many topics on what it is and how it works.

I responded in the previous thread-
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/266556-training.html

What is "Mindset"? What does that term mean to you?
    As has been mentioned here, we generally have a mind-set for everything. However, in regards to successfully surviving violent encounters-"having the willingness and determination to do whatever it takes to survive and to never ever give up."

Is it something you have or you dont'?
    As I stated in the other thread... some have it, some don't and some never will either due to personal choice, conditioning, or some other factor.

Can "Mindset" be developed?
    Yes!

Once attained, can it be lost?
    Not unless the person chooses to change their belief system or they face some kind of brain injury or mental / emotional break that interferes with their belief system.

Is "Mindset", in the contest of gunfighting, a static thing where, once achieved, you have "the Mindset"? Or is it a fluid thing that changes with your mental and emotional state?
    As mentioned in the other thread, mind-set can not easily be changed, unless the person is willing to change their belief system. The tactics are fluid but the mind-set remains the same.

Is it on/off, or a continuum or more complex state?
    The mind-set is always on. However, the physical and emotional expression of the mind-set will change depending on the circumstances.

When someone says they "have the mindset" or are "developing the mindset" what does that mean to you?
    Developing the mind-set is just that, preparing the mind for successfully surviving violence. This often integrates with physical training with and without weapons but doesn't have to. Mental development can be trained in a vacuum but learning to express it on a physical and emotional level is important. This can be accomplished with crisis rehearsal, mental exercises, choosing compelling reasons (what/who you are willing to fight for and what/who you are willing to die for, if need be), etc.

The books I mentioned in the previous thread discuss these things in more detail.

Steve

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My simple definition. Being prepared to act. I am not just talking about fighting, but taking action period. I was at the deli near my shop for lunch a few weeks ago. An elderly lady was leaving. Somehow after she went out the door she slipped and fell onto the concrete sidewalk. Everyone stood and looked. As soon as I saw her, I was moving. I had to go around people just standing and looking. Now we are talking about an elderly lady here, someone most people would WANT to help. Not a bum or crack whore, or whatever else undesirable. So if people wanted to help, why didn't they act immediately? I see two reasons, they were waiting for someone else to do it, and/or they didn't know what to do. The second point was borne out when some of them finally did make it to my side, they wanted to pick her up right away.

That story is just an example of why I say mindset is being ready to act in a split second. Would the people who were frozen by the scene of a person going down really be able to react quickly and decisively in a violent force encounter? Doubtful. Why was I ready? Confidence for one. Confidence that I am ready to to tackle whatever comes my way. This is a by product of training and preparing. Can you have an appropriate mindset without training? You can, but it is less likely in my opinion.

Another factor is experience, the more times you have seen something and reacted properly to it, the more likely you will be to react properly when faced with that, or a similar situation. If you don't have a job that would give you that experience how do you get it? Again training and proper practice is one (or is that 2?) way(s). As my friend Randy Harris likes to say, "I would rather you saw this now for the first time, then when it is for real". Again, this doesn't apply just to fighting (guns or otherwise), but to driving, medical emergencies, etc..

Can you lose this mindset? I think you can. We become fat and lazy. We quit preparing ourselves mentally and physically. We decide it just isn't worth the effort. Will it all come rushing back to you when you need it? I don't know, but I am not counting on it.

I realize this is not exactly the "mindset" explanation you were looking for, but I think it is more direct and all encompassing than just the "gunfighting" mindset.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I concur that WETSU has a great point. Many people have the WILL to fight, but haven't prepared properly.
    Why is this? Well they don't have the proper mindset. And what is that proper mindset?
    From my limited military experiences (rotc), to my own study, to private contractor/instructor training, I've learned that psychology is the majority of the battle because it dictates 1, how you've prepared, and 2 how you'll respond.
    Over the years people have found that men (and women) respond on a spectrum. Some men simply are just natural killers and are naturally in their element in a fight. They're probably 2% of the population at most. 96% of people are scared to death but try to do SOMETHING anyway. The bottom 2% are totally frozen with fear.
    Through continuous training, (Ie. adopting the mindset that you want to take effective action when the time comes, engaging in realistic training, and thinking through senarios before hand) most people can acheive the same level or near to the same level of coherency in a fight as that 1-2% of the population who are at home in it. This is where you want to be. It's the mindset that you will do WHATEVER it takes to fight and win no matter the odds or obstacles. But it can only be acheived by first realizing your skill level, what you need to do to get prepared, and then following through.
    In short, the proper "mindset" is the mindset that causes you to self very self-critical, analyze your skill set, train to achieve your potential, and continually thinking through how you will respond to a threat before it ever happens. It is one of proactive aggression towards an enemy. Not a stupid GET SOME mentality mind you, but a cunning, in your face, you messed with the wrong guy, now I'm going to kill you in the most efficient way possible, you slimy piece of crap, mentality. It is one of confidence due to training, not bravado.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    set your alarm for an odd time in the middle of the night and time yourself how long to clear your house, its not as easy as you would think.

I am not sure how this relates to mindset. Can you elaborate?

Also, I would assert that, unless there is some compelling reason to move fast, clearing any structure by yourself should not be a timed event. It takes as long as it takes to get through without taking unnecessary risk or exposing yourself to unchecked areas. Slow and careful is the way in a one-man building search.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I am not sure how this relates to mindset. Can you elaborate?

Also, I would assert that, unless there is some compelling reason to move fast, clearing any structure by yourself should not be a timed event. It takes as long as it takes to get through without taking unnecessary risk or exposing yourself to unchecked areas. Slow and careful is the way in a one-man building search.

IDK the intent of his statement, but family members in other parts of the house changes things quite a bit. :twocents:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    IDK the intent of his statement, but family members in other parts of the house changes things quite a bit. :twocents:

I agree. Depending on the circumstances, that could be a compelling reason. And it might turn in to moving quietly to get there rather than searching/clearing the building. Either way, getting shot in the back because you were too hasty doesn't help.

Top Bottom