• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Most mag wells are BROACHED not milled. This ensures that corners are square and better dimensional tolerances. Not sure how well a drill press is going to hold tolerances....

I'm going to most of the material removal with the drill press, but as far as the inside corners and finer details go, I am going to be doing those with a dremmel or hand file, with a mag on hand to test fit.

If you have a mill, and know how to use it, it woudn't be that bad. really easy if you have one to look at
    icon_lol.gif

What about actually casting one? for example, heating my 0% lower and pressing it into styrofoam until it melts the styrofoam into the correct profile, then using the styrofoam in a lost-foam-casting to cast the jig...

Lost-foam casting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I'm going to most of the material removal with the drill press, but as far as the inside corners and finer details go, I am going to be doing those with a dremmel or hand file, with a mag on hand to test fit.

What about actually casting one? for example, heating my 0% lower and pressing it into styrofoam until it melts the styrofoam into the correct profile, then using the styrofoam in a lost-foam-casting to cast the jig...

Lost-foam casting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was talking about using a mill to make a drill jig,

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I was talking about using a mill to make a drill jig,

Yeah, I understood that. The only issue is I don't have a mill... I'm attempting to make a 0% lower into a functioning one with tools I have, just to see if I can do it.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    your welcome to use my mill, i could use some company while i am in the shop. dont know if i have all the tooling required though.

Really? That would be most generous!

got it done yet?

I currently am at school, and making what is legally considered a firearm at school tends to be a no-no, as I attend school in a state where it is illegal (sadly)

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Well, spent today working on a plexi-glass lower. It's surprisingly light, and seems pretty darn tough...
    1.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02106.jpg

DSC02109.jpg

Thoughts? As of yet I don't have a kit or an upper to drop into/onto it, but I hope to get the parts kit at the 1500 this weekend. Unless of course someone has an old moldy parts kit or random doo-dads I could have for free...worth a try...:D

It only took me about 6 hours of actual work, there was a lot of downtime to allow my various bits to cool. Something about the plexi-glass really heats things up.

Still need to cut the buffer hole and tap it, but I don't feel comfortable doing that myself...

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    I just ordered a solid-cast AR-15 lower for $35 after shipping, and also have downloaded some CAD drawings of all the various dimensions/specifications of a finished receiver. I don't know much about CAD, but from the little research I have done, it seems like there should be a scale-reference somewhere on the blueprint, which does not seem to be there...

Anyone know what they are doing?

Anyone done this before? Any tips?

Any help is much appreciated!

-David

Here's a site that you might want to preview/archive:

Building a AR-15 without a machine shop

Mujahadeen AR-15

PDF
    http://survivaloptions.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=0&task=finish&cid=622&catid=69

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]AR15 80% lower receiver tutorial[/FONT]

CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15 80% Lower Receiver Tutorial

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Quick Start Guide that's included with the jigs and adapters.[/FONT]
    http://www.cncguns.com/downloads/AR15/Quick Start Guide rev 12-3-08.pdf

Last edited:
    Top Bottom