• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What if I cast something that only had the mag well and trigger assembly slot cut out? None of the pin holes or buffer tube connection would be drilled yet.

I think you would still have to machine the mag well and the inside of the receiver. I just don't think that it would come out dimensionally correct being cast. You would have less material to machine out though.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I got my 0% lower in the mail today, and also ordered a cross vice so I can convert my drill press into a "mill" (word used lightly...we shall see)

Here is the lower. I was surprised at how smooth the surface was, I expected it to be rougher.

Here is the cross vice I mentioned. Anyone have any experience with these? Is it a headache to mount it to the drill press table?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001FGAJTA/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2ZSTDEXO9VTZF&v=glance"]Amazon.com: 4" Cross Slide Drill Press Vise Metal Milling Machine: eToolscity[/ame]

Any tips on stabilizing a drill press? Cement in the column? Lead weights on the base? Chuck the end-mill bits as far up as they will go?

All told, $35 shipped for the lower, and $42 shipped for the cross vice...

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    Listen to junkie. 100 reasons only scratches the surface on this one. 30 years as a die maker backs that up. their spindles just aren't tight enough to do what you want to do!

:ingo:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I've been reading that, no worries. I don't have high expectations for this project, but considering the low cost of attempting it, why not? I love trying new things like this and figuring out a way to make it work.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the cross vice I mentioned. Anyone have any experience with these? Is it a headache to mount it to the drill press table?

Should just tow clamp down with a t-nut, stud, tow clamp and nut. Hope you have a dial indiacator to check the straightness along the back jaw of the vice?

Any tips on stabilizing a drill press? Cement in the column? Lead weights on the base?

I don't think you will stabilize a drill press enough to mill with it, but hey you've already gone this far so might as well go for it.

Chuck the end-mill bits as far up as they will go?

Yea, I guess. Drill chucks were not designed for lateral stress, so after about 2 passes it will be ruined and will never run true again. You really need an R8 type collet or solid adapter (and heavier duty spindle) to hold an endmill and cut with the profile of the tool.

:D
    flzkvr.jpg

thelakerat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Ahh i gotcha, i must have misread or just dreaming a hopeful dream. Thanks anyway.
    I've got a mill and feel comfortable about everything except the buffer tube alignment, so i want to get one that that is done.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    anybody have any links to the MILLING jig and not the drilling jig.... i am pretty sure you can drill w/ the mill jig, and it just so happens that i have a milling machine now, and am looking for something to play w/

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have the CNC original jig, I'm sure it would be handy for holding and keeping the part square for milling.
    ar15%20jig%20new-1.jpg

HUH... i looked at that... guess i am just not seeing its usefullness... havent looked to much into completing these lowers, but i might give it a shot... might be worth buying the jig... i am a type 07 so if i could buy them cheap enough, and finish them out, i could put my markings on them, and a custom INGO logo.... just thoughts, i think i am just in the limited few that would be able to take this on.... FFL able to manufacture firearms... who has a mill.... and enough time.... and isnt a big enough company to require bulk orders to get the INGO logo put on them...
    guess i have some research to do...

rockydog, what are the chances of me being able to borrow your jig for a while to see if i can make these things to a high enough standard to do a run of INGO labed lowers.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    No problem, PM me your addy and I'll get it out to you. I used to be a machinist. with a mill and a good set of prints, I believe It could be done easy enough. The jig will really speed up the other hole registry and locations.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    rockydog, how difficult would it be to make your own jig? my goal for this project is to see how far i can go without buying any specialized equipment, and get a functioning lower.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Most mag wells are BROACHED not milled. This ensures that corners are square and better dimensional tolerances. Not sure how well a drill press is going to hold tolerances....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom