• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, I voted Glock because of some of the field trials I have read have been pretty impressive. I think they either need to tell the rules of land warfare people to go get screwed so they can load up JHP's in their 9mm's, or go to the .45 ACP again. (Even the .40 S&W would be better, with its FNFMJ ball round, than the 9mm 124 grain ball) Seriously though, I doubt the Army is going to be ditching the Beretta anytime soon. JMHO.

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    I'm currently serving in the air force and we carry our M9's with one in the pipe and the safety off. there is the issue of a stoppage and racking the slide and putting it on safe. Don't forget ball ammo is only used overseas. For Home station LE duty it's HP. Beretta does make a model with the rail. We were issued new ones not that long ago and just missed being able to order the rail version. I say stick with the Beretta. The 9mm is a fine man stopper, the difference between 9 and 45 is 2mm. I would rather have more round to put on target. If they do change, my guess is it would have to have a manual safety or at least a heavy DA first pull, Like the Sig. I would be very happy with a Sig. :):

I voted Bacon. Sig or Beretta was not there.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    M9...A1...

Honestly, the only place I've seen or heard guys complaining about the M9 are:
    1. Guys who want to impress their friends with their gun knowledge, claiming the M9 is junk (after watching a show on Spike TV about it)
    2. Internet gunboards (where half the crap people say is unmitigated, parroted and unresearched)
    3. Gunshops where the Glocks are king (decent margin) and trouble free in the hands of the average gun owner (not shooter).

Everyone I have talked with that was in the service that was issued one didn't have any problems with them (unless they had the garbage mags that the military has long since replaced). Most folks thought of the M9 as a necessary evil (they didn't carry a rifle due to their job) they had to carry, that I talked with. Also, the guys that actually SAW combat didn't even care what they had (no preferance), just wanted something that worked and the M9 did.

In fact, most of the folks that I talked with wern't gun people, despite being in the military. Most just wanted something to point at bad guy and kill them, period.

Face it folks. We all want to have our preferred gun be what the military carries. I am willing to bet someone wants them to carry a Hi Point because they like theirs. Beretta has a sweet gun with a darn good .gov contract, that's not going away soon. If they replace it, it will be with a ray gun.

IF they want to change something for more "effectiveness", ditch the FMJRN and go with the truncated cone the US Air Force initially wanted at the beginning of this crap. We dont use subguns much anymore, why keep trying to cater to that? Give our boys 'sum moar metplat!! :)

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    FN has a good relationship already. I find it hard to believe for SO many reasons the 9mm NATO would be replaced. I'd put a poly FN or M&P with thumb safety toward the top of the list. Just a guess.

1911 would be sweet, but remember how loose those old Colts had to be to function reliably in every situation. I'd love to see it make a return but it ain't gonna happen.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Talked to some 18B's who've been carrying Glocks downrange. Most are happy with them, except a guy who has HUGE hands that got slide bit.

Don't know that any of them have much time with an M&P. I think it'd be good for them to try it out, especially since the military likes friggin thumb safety's.

I doubt the 1911 will ever see mass service again. The gov't would never spend the money on high quality ones, let along high quality mags to go with them, when they can get polymer guns with mags that can take abuse for fairly cheap.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    From JCP 2005…
    A large variety of .45 ACP pistols were entered into the competition. These include the

• Heckler & Koch HK45C
    • SIG P220 Combat
    • Ruger P345
    • Smith & Wesson M&P
    • Glock 21SF
    • Beretta Px4 Storm
    • Taurus PT 24/7 OSS
    • Fabrique Nationale FNP45-USG
    • HS-45
    • Para-Ordnance LDA 1911
    By the way, if I recall correctly the only 2 Pistols that passed the XM9 Trials were Sig with the P226 and the Beretta with the 92F, with the Beretta winning the Bid...
    And Glock declining to enter the Trials at all…

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    M9...A1...

Honestly, the only place I've seen or heard guys complaining about the M9 are:
    1. Guys who want to impress their friends with their gun knowledge, claiming the M9 is junk (after watching a show on Spike TV about it)
    2. Internet gunboards (where half the crap people say is unmitigated, parroted and unresearched)
    3. Gunshops where the Glocks are king (decent margin) and trouble free in the hands of the average gun owner (not shooter).

Everyone I have talked with that was in the service that was issued one didn't have any problems with them (unless they had the garbage mags that the military has long since replaced). Most folks thought of the M9 as a necessary evil (they didn't carry a rifle due to their job) they had to carry, that I talked with. Also, the guys that actually SAW combat didn't even care what they had (no preferance), just wanted something that worked and the M9 did.

In fact, most of the folks that I talked with wern't gun people, despite being in the military. Most just wanted something to point at bad guy and kill them, period.

Face it folks. We all want to have our preferred gun be what the military carries. I am willing to bet someone wants them to carry a Hi Point because they like theirs. Beretta has a sweet gun with a darn good .gov contract, that's not going away soon. If they replace it, it will be with a ray gun.

IF they want to change something for more "effectiveness", ditch the FMJRN and go with the truncated cone the US Air Force initially wanted at the beginning of this crap. We dont use subguns much anymore, why keep trying to cater to that? Give our boys 'sum moar metplat!! :)

Well said, true, and totally agree.....it's what I was issued and it is one of my favorite guns now too....I especially like the implication ....somewhat saying, "who are we civilians, to decide what combat servicemen should have to use".....I think the military should allow the units or even each infantryman decide what he prefers just like spec ops units...so long as it meets general mil specs....but even then, I still would have chosen the M9 personally

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Why the External Safety?!
    The M-11 has none...

I like external safety...but just on the grounds of "idiot safety"....i.e. idiot tries to take your weapon and if he's successful, his not realizing the safety is on could give you that extra second to react......it's saved many lives in this similar fashion....the HK p7 got famous for such scenarios occurring....other than that a trigger safety is fine....but for that reason I like the externals....

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    i trained with the 1911 and the m9 and really like both of them. both are extremely reliable firearms but personally in a combat situation i prefer hicap sometimes that pistol might only be needed to buy some time and 15 rounds buys a little more than 7

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Uhh....I'll stir this pot....I chose bacon. But what about the 5-7? I'm not saying its the best or the only, but it is high capacity and long range, external safety and a rail. Is it not even to be considered? I realize 5.7x28 is a .22 mag on steroids, but in my meager opinion this is a wicked gun and a sweet little round. Also pretty overpriced.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Uhh....I'll stir this pot....I chose bacon. But what about the 5-7? I'm not saying its the best or the only, but it is high capacity and long range, external safety and a rail. Is it not even to be considered? I realize 5.7x28 is a .22 mag on steroids, but in my meager opinion this is a wicked gun and a sweet little round. Also pretty overpriced.

also expensive ammo....not a big seller with the government

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    9 MM hardball ammo is as worthless as teats on a boar hog!!!

"Never attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber doesn't start with a 4 !!!"

That is all.

Top Bottom