• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My apologies, I for some reason thinking it had on board wireless...let me get home from work and look at it again.

No problem. That's the fun with tech support: the details matter. While you are at it, please verify if it really is Broadcom or if it is Realtek as the MB specifications list. Motherboards do sometimes have multiple generations and change components. Again, your Windows device manager software should be able to tell you without opening up the box.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Mint has been nothing but flawless for me. Recognized everything on my laptop and even was able to install the wireless printer no problem. I had ZERO luck with getting Windows 7 to install the printer.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Mint has been nothing but flawless for me. Recognized everything on my laptop and even was able to install the wireless printer no problem. I had ZERO luck with getting Windows 7 to install the printer.

That's the way it was for me as well, though my printer works in Windows and Linux both. Ironically it was MUCH easier to install on Linux.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    20151006_204025_zps2jgjqduf.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Caleb-

Actually, it was good that you took a picture of the actual card. It was a different model than the one I had a link to and it led me to a better answer.

Good news: Looks like it should be fairly easy to fix if you have a wired network connection. Significantly harder if you don't have one.

This procedure looks like the fix:Broadcom B43 drivers - Linux Mint Community

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Going to try it in a bit...reinstalling linux for a fresh start (no more windows on my machine). You going to be up a bit if I have questions?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Pudly, I tried tk send you a message but it wasn't going through for some reason.

I removed the card again and put it back then, did a reboot...now it works. Glad that it's working but I feel I did it by accident....not sure I could do it twice. :P

Thanks for the help...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pudly, I tried tk send you a message but it wasn't going through for some reason.

I removed the card again and put it back then, did a reboot...now it works. Glad that it's working but I feel I did it by accident....not sure I could do it twice. :P

Thanks for the help...

The good ol' reboot... it solves a myriad of ills. :): It's always my go-to before I call for tech support (at work) because I know that's the first thing they're going to tell me to do with any problem.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Actually, that is a bad habit carried over from Windows. Linux/Unix machines will generally run for months/years without needing a reboot. You may have noticed by now that when you install software updates, you almost never reboot. It doesn't really hurt anything when on a single user workstation, but when you are running a server that is hosting dozens or hundreds of web sites or a database that is critical to your business, it is a big deal. In Linux/Unix, typically you restart a specific service instead. The reboot accomplishes that, but is overkill. For comparison, I've worked in very large businesses and the routine was to force a reboot of Windows servers at least monthly during off-hours just to keep them from becoming unstable.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is the problem with the automagical route that Linux went. It is great for attracting new people but it causes problems like this. You were probably loading the wrong driver first, creating a conflict. In the old days, you had to know your hardware and set the init scripts to load the appropriate drivers. It was a PITA at first to get everything running, but once it was, it was rock solid and boot up was faster than all of this detection and loading stuff.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This is the problem with the automagical route that Linux went. It is great for attracting new people but it causes problems like this. You were probably loading the wrong driver first, creating a conflict. In the old days, you had to know your hardware and set the init scripts to load the appropriate drivers. It was a PITA at first to get everything running, but once it was, it was rock solid and boot up was faster than all of this detection and loading stuff.

Yeah, but not everyone wants/needs to be deal with a PITA OS. You need to design systems to be easy for non-experts as well to reach wide acceptance. Otherwise, you relegate yourself to a niche. That said, there still is no excuse for modern Windows servers to be so unstable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually, that is a bad habit carried over from Windows. Linux/Unix machines will generally run for months/years without needing a reboot. You may have noticed by now that when you install software updates, you almost never reboot. It doesn't really hurt anything when on a single user workstation, but when you are running a server that is hosting dozens or hundreds of web sites or a database that is critical to your business, it is a big deal. In Linux/Unix, typically you restart a specific service instead. The reboot accomplishes that, but is overkill. For comparison, I've worked in very large businesses and the routine was to force a reboot of Windows servers at least monthly during off-hours just to keep them from becoming unstable.

Not to threadjack, but I was going to ask about updates. I've tried updating Adobe Flash Player (keep getting the annoying pop ups saying it's out of date), and it appears to download, but I can't find an executable to actually install it. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I even went to update manager and supposedly updated everything that was in the "list" that needed updating (which included Adobe Flash Player), but I still get the pop-ups.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hmmm... Do you get the pop-up only when starting a browser? If so, which browser? Some have a built-in feature to check Flash to make sure it is up-to-date since Flash has been one of the biggest ways to get hit by malware.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hmmm... Do you get the pop-up only when starting a browser? If so, which browser? Some have a built-in feature to check Flash to make sure it is up-to-date since Flash has become one of the biggest ways to get hit by malware.
    I'm using Firefox and I only get it on certain websites, not at startup.

Top Bottom