• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Why is there not this level of outrage against the whole idea of haz-mat charges? We have been getting raped ever since the Federal DOT mandated these charges for no good reason 15 years ago.

The "logic" behind the hazmat fee is that emergency responders to an accident involving a freight delivery vehicle would like to know about things like primers, powders, or corrosives being in a given shipment. I can understand that and I understand there are different fire-fighting methods that can be employed when a high accelerant is known to be part of a shipment.

Now, how often that has come into play, and whether or not the fees we're being charged are in line with the actual cost of documenting such shipments, are both HIGHLY questionable, IMHO.

For example: The hazmat fee went from $20 to $25. Given that this fee is to defray the added handling costs for the company doing the shipping, why did it go up exactly $5? That's a 25% increase...can they document where their costs for handling hazardous goods paperwork has gone up 25%? I'm sure their overall costs have gone up, so I can understand the higher shipping fees, but what has changed about the hazmat paperwork that justifies a huge jump in THAT taxation?

It's not justified. It's a form of taxation and in the case of Midway's choice to drop-ship powders it is DOUBLE taxation. Plain n' simple.

Look at it like this: Midway is saying they can't store powders in their warehouse because it's too close to the highway. OK, that's another lousy government regulation, but I can accept that. Midway's solution is to not have powder shipped to them, but they have the wholesaler or manufacturer ship it straight to the customer. That makes sense, in a way, but it results in the dual hazmat fees.

So, what if Midway had their powder distributors store PRIMERS as well, shipping those out along with powder, pursuant to whatever order their customer made? Now they don't have to store powder OR primers and half as many hazmat forms get filled out! They're doing it for the powder and primers take up so little space...give me one good reason why they couldn't do it this way?

Bottom line: Midway has a wide range of options for how to deal with this issue and they CHOOSE to stick it to their customers instead of finding a solution that benefits those customers. If anyone can explain to me how it is not a choice for Midway to do business this way...I'm all ears.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    ....For example: The hazmat fee went from $20 to $25. Given that this fee is to defray the added handling costs for the company doing the shipping, why did it go up exactly $5? That's a 25% increase...can they document where their costs for handling hazardous goods paperwork has gone up 25%? ......

I think it is now $27.50:(

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've come to the realization that some people don't mind. Perhaps that should not surprise me as much as it does. The world we live in today is full of things that just don't make sense, but exist nonetheless.

I'm very glad there are other options besides Midway. I think I'll just make good use of them and not be as worked up over it. If apathy is the rule of the day, who am I to fight THAT? :dunno:

Because there are much better things to get worked up about. If I got up in arms and pissed off about every thing that irked me my life would be filled with anger and outrage, and if I refused to do business with any company that wasn't perfect then I'd have very few choices. I save my outrage for things that really matter and vote with my dollars for everything else. If I found out that Midway was secretly supporting the Brady campaign then I'd be outraged. As it is, their hazmat shipping policy mildly irks me and I rarely order hazmat stuff from them unless their price on something I want is the lowest around, which is rare but does happen, especially when they have one of their regular 10% off a large order (and my hazmat orders are large).

There's a difference between apathy where you don't care at all, and caring but not letting things get to you.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    The "logic" behind the hazmat fee is that emergency responders to an accident involving a freight delivery vehicle would like to know about things like primers, powders, or corrosives being in a given shipment. I can understand that and I understand there are different fire-fighting methods that can be employed when a high accelerant is known to be part of a shipment.

Now, how often that has come into play, and whether or not the fees we're being charged are in line with the actual cost of documenting such shipments, are both HIGHLY questionable, IMHO.

For example: The hazmat fee went from $20 to $25. Given that this fee is to defray the added handling costs for the company doing the shipping, why did it go up exactly $5? That's a 25% increase...can they document where their costs for handling hazardous goods paperwork has gone up 25%? I'm sure their overall costs have gone up, so I can understand the higher shipping fees, but what has changed about the hazmat paperwork that justifies a huge jump in THAT taxation?

It's not justified. It's a form of taxation and in the case of Midway's choice to drop-ship powders it is DOUBLE taxation. Plain n' simple.

Look at it like this: Midway is saying they can't store powders in their warehouse because it's too close to the highway. OK, that's another lousy government regulation, but I can accept that. Midway's solution is to not have powder shipped to them, but they have the wholesaler or manufacturer ship it straight to the customer. That makes sense, in a way, but it results in the dual hazmat fees.

So, what if Midway had their powder distributors store PRIMERS as well, shipping those out along with powder, pursuant to whatever order their customer made? Now they don't have to store powder OR primers and half as many hazmat forms get filled out! They're doing it for the powder and primers take up so little space...give me one good reason why they couldn't do it this way?

Bottom line: Midway has a wide range of options for how to deal with this issue and they CHOOSE to stick it to their customers instead of finding a solution that benefits those customers. If anyone can explain to me how it is not a choice for Midway to do business this way...I'm all ears.

taxation definition

A government's practice of collecting money from citizens and businesses within its domain to support its operations.

The hazmant fees on the shipments are NOT government mandated!

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Since I hold a hazmat endorsement on my CDL driver license, also my company is a registered carrier , I am familiar with the regulations at your link.

If you could point out where it states that a shipper has to charge hazmat shipment fees to their customers and what those fees are set at I would appreciate it.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I always assumed the hazmat fee was set by the carrier (FedEx, UPS...). I also assume the fee the state sets is charged to the carrier when they license the truck every year. It cost "X" amount per year...the truck could haul 1 load or 10,000 loads and it would still cost the same. As far as Midway goes i use common since ordering from them or anyone else...is it the cheapest price, is it in stock...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Since I hold a hazmat endorsement on my CDL driver license, also my company is a registered carrier , I am familiar with the regulations at your link.

If you could point out where it states that a shipper has to charge hazmat shipment fees to their customers and what those fees are set at I would appreciate it.

You made the statement that hazmat fees are not government mandated. Technically, you're right...only the paperwork is government mandated, but do you really think the folks doing the shipping are going to just absorb that cost? :rolleyes:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Don't buy from them anymore, problem solved. Getting all worked up over it is not going to solve anything.

You're right: Getting all worked up over something never solves a problem. That's why I created a thread to share with my fellow INGO'ers, explaining why Midway's hazmat policy sucks buttermilk. Whether you agree or not, I'm trying to do something about it.

I asked Midway to remove me from their customer rolls and I'm asking other concerned consumers to carefully consider whether or not they are willing to do business with a company that would cheerfully charge their customers twice for the privilege of ordering primers and powders at the same time.

I'm dumbfounded by the number of folks who thinks it's "OK" as long as they are not directly impacted by it. Doesn't anyone believe in the power of the consumer anymore? :dunno:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You're right: Getting all worked up over something never solves a problem. That's why I created a thread to share with my fellow INGO'ers, explaining why Midway's hazmat policy sucks buttermilk. Whether you agree or not, I'm trying to do something about it.

I asked Midway to remove me from their customer rolls and I'm asking other concerned consumers to carefully consider whether or not they are willing to do business with a company that would cheerfully charge their customers twice for the privilege of ordering primers and powders at the same time.

I'm dumbfounded by the number of folks who thinks it's "OK" as long as they are not directly impacted by it. Doesn't anyone believe in the power of the consumer anymore? :dunno:

It's one thing to pass something on. It's another to harp on the same thing over and over!. Honestly, if someone is not smart enough to do their homework before they buy. Well, bad on them.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    You made the statement that hazmat fees are not government mandated. Technically, you're right...only the paperwork is government mandated, but do you really think the folks doing the shipping are going to just absorb that cost? :rolleyes:

Shippers are using the hazmat fees to increase revenue. It is not a revenueneutral situation .
    just like shipping and handling fees.

Top Bottom