• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have to admit, I try to buy all of my powder and primers for my foreseeable future needs on Commercial row at Camp Perry every August. i plan for and save for this all year.....

No haz-mat fee needed which should be what the "CARRIER" is charging. The retailer should only be passing this fee on to the user. I don't know if this is true.

I just choose to not play the game. I buy thousands of primers and kegs of powder in FTF transactions with the vendors so I don't have to pay the fee.

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    Ol Larry is laughing all the way to the bank. Hazmat fees should be figured in the cost of the powders and primers not afterward. CDNN are great for selling you a $10 mag and charging you $20 to ship. Learned my lesson the hard way and I never buy supplies except face to face with the supplier

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've always been happy w/Midway. Have ordered stuff and had it show up the next day. Customer service is good (the OP got a call back in 5 min). Looks like my last few orders were over $100 and the shipping has been something like $7-8. Granted, these haven't been reloading supplies, but those fees do show up in the cart when they're added. That's been my experience anyway.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I just hate the price of shipping that they have. Every order, even the smallest thing, will run me a minimum of $13-14. I contacted their customer service one time about a shipping problem in which they pretty much said, "yep, we're screwing you". I just wanted a 250 count box of A-Max .308 projectiles, shipping was the standard $13.xx but as soon as I placed a single point sling into the order with it, it raised the shipping price to $21.xx.

If there was anywhere local that stocked the things I needed or anywhere else online that had it in stock for a reasonable price, I'd probably not shop there either. However they almost always have what I need when I need it. Granted I don't buy powder and primers from there.

Broom, check out powdervalleyinc.com or grafs.com for your primers and powder. Their shipping charges are actually decent and they don't double the hazmat fee. :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    CK,

I'm actually all stocked up on primers and (most) powders...got enough to last me for the duration, with the exception of H4831. When I really need some more of that, I'll head down to Atterbury and pick some up...probably get 4lbs of it, if they have it in that size.

I hear you on the Midway shipping fees. I think they realize how many folks depend on them and just don't give a rip anymore, so they stick it to us on shipping. They might get it out the same day, but MAN...do you pay for it! :)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Plenty of businesses not in Indy y'all can buy from, some will even deliver to the 1500

Darrell you could have saved yourself a drive if you would have waited until May 5th ;)

I think some of us forget that INGO is really "Indiana Gun Owners" as opposed to "Indianapolis Gun Owners". Those of us in the Indy area are easily capable of participating in group buys at sponsors like Profire Arms or buying powder/primers cheaply at Indiana Gun Club on the NE side of town.

However, there are a lot of our members that live 2 or 3 hours drive from the Indy area and that drive makes it not practical to join in on some of our group buys or take advantage of our local retailers.

When and where?

I'm up for a restock on some things and anyone who can be PVI's prices with hazmat and shipping can get my business.

matt, i somewhat agree with your statement but with fuel/gas prices the way they are, thats not always the best option either. i placed an order with profire for a pound of powder, great price, no problems at all. went to pick it up, 30 minutes driving each way and as it ended up could have paid the hazmat fee to a mail order house cheaper than the refill of the gas tank.

that being said i dont pay hazmat fees to mail order houses unless i get about 3 other people to split an order for powder and/or primers with me. graf prices on that stuff is pretty good....daryll

Gun Shops / Class III and Ranges*(4 Viewing)*21ST Century Firearms*(347/3311)*Applied Ballistic Systems*(33/162)*Beech Grove Firearms*(73/579)*Berding Ballistics*(2/3)*Bite the Bullet Guns*(32/87)*Blythe's*(6/69)*Bradis Guns*(665/3708)*Buck Shot Sporting Goods*(2/11)*Class 3 Sales*(51/315)*Down By The Tracks Guns*(34/267)*Fort Liberty Firearms*(24/87)*Front Toward Enemy Firearms*(42/322)*Four Guns*(3/23)*Huntertown Arms*(23/114)*Indy Trading Post*(116/781)*Kodiak Range*(59/578)*Marion County Fish and Game*(15/105)*Orion Arms Corp*(32/231)*Peddler Firearms*(1/9)*Shootin Iron Shop*(2/14)*Sniper Company*(27/221)*SSNFA*(44/413)*Wulff's Gun Shop*(15/67)*ZX Gun*(3/11)*1,65111,488NEW ARRIVALS w/e 4/21/12by*shooter5211 Hour Ago*Accessories, Ammo, Holsters, Knives and Lights*(1 Viewing)*A&A Optics*(31/149)*AGS Armament & Consulting*(28/81)*BFG Design*(29/115)*Black Owl Customs*(35/401)*Bobcat Steel*(127/1413)*Brad's Knives & Knife Lady*(140/1012)*Hooch Holsters*(18/79)*Indiana Supply Depot*(95/479)*The LED Warehouse*(24/86)*LuckyGunner.com*(65/95)*Profire Arms & Supply, Inc.*(134/701)*Palmetto State Armory*(65/206)*Raven Concealment Systems*(64/466)*T&D Metal Works*(4/16)

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of Midway's policy on hazmat since I normally get these from my local gun shop or Midsouth. I do find that Midway does ship rapidly although at somewhat inflated shipping charges compared to their competitors.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Midway will also charge you ~$8 to ship a single $3 part. If you order 10 items that are all on back-order, they WILL NOT hold the order until all items are in stock and ship it all at once. If your 10 items come in one-at-a-time, that is how Midway will ship them...and they will charge you a different shipping fee each and every time. I specifically asked to have my order held until all items were in stock and they REFUSED.

Not if you choose the correct shipping method they don't. Plus they will hold numerous back ordered items to ship all at once. They do it for me all the time.

I just had a small part shipped that cost $1.99 for shipping via US Mail.

Expense's for any business today is soaring. They have to charge what the market will bear to survive.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Broom,

I see your point and i dont buy powders or primers from Midway either. I also know what people are saying about its not worth driving a bunch because the fuel it cost makes it not worth it real fast. I live in Eminence (not far from you) and im in Mooresville at least once a week. With you and I and a couple other guys from our area we could put together group buys and it wouldnt be an issue.

I generally get my powder in small quantities from local shops and pay a couple bucks more a pound but they dont have the selections i would like. A friend of mine lives up in Granger,IN and they have a REALLY good shop (Granger Guns) for reloading supplies. He carries alot and is really good on the price. So when I am up there i stock up and when my buddy comes down I have him bring some down. I have to just learn to stock up to get through the dry times LOL

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I had a similar complaint with Midway on a recent $50 order.... a 38% shipping fee! (No haz-mat) On the plus side...I had it 2 days later.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Not if you choose the correct shipping method they don't. Plus they will hold numerous back ordered items to ship all at once. They do it for me all the time.

I just had a small part shipped that cost $1.99 for shipping via US Mail.

Expense's for any business today is soaring. They have to charge what the market will bear to survive.

This is in direct contrast to what they have told me, on numerous occasions. I have been all set to place an order for 4 or 5 things, with 1 or 2 items on back order. They flat refused to hold off on shipping the order until they could send it all in one box. Are you saying if you order 2 or 3 things, and they are ALL on back order, that they won't ship any of them until they are all in stock? Because I know, for an absolute FACT, that if some stuff is on the shelf and some is not, they will not hold off on shipping what they have, so you wind up paying for shipping twice.

You must have some special arrangement with them, where they will handle your orders with a little common sense. It won't be a problem for me anymore. :)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    This is in direct contrast to what they have told me, on numerous occasions. I have been all set to place an order for 4 or 5 things, with 1 or 2 items on back order. They flat refused to hold off on shipping the order until they could send it all in one box. Are you saying if you order 2 or 3 things, and they are ALL on back order, that they won't ship any of them until they are all in stock? Because I know, for an absolute FACT, that if some stuff is on the shelf and some is not, they will not hold off on shipping what they have, so you wind up paying for shipping twice.

You must have some special arrangement with them, where they will handle your orders with a little common sense. It won't be a problem for me anymore. :)

Out of many orders from them, I have only called them one time to clarify what the website was saying about this. And yes, i was told they would hold all backordered items until they all came in and they would ship in one box. I did NOT place the order on the phone I used the website.

I've done this more than once with back ordered items. One time was when I ordered 3 Hornady shell plates and 3 die sets for reloading. They were all back ordered. Took three months for all to arrive in stock. I had set up emails to be notified when they were in stock. They all dribbled in over that 3 month time frame. When last item arrived, they all shipped that same day.

Again, I have never placed an order on the phone. Always used the website. The only way to shop.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

This has been my experience as well. Unlike Amazon and other retailers where I have seen the option to say "ship in as few shipments as possible", I have never seen that option on Midway's site, unless it was recently added.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    According to the Looney guy, they've always done it that way, but I called them on the phone and asked if they would hold the order until everything was in. The guy I talked to was very clear in stating that they ship what is in stock first and anything on back order would get shipped when it came in, with separate charges for both.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've had the same experience as "the looney guy." Ordered 5 items, 3 in stock, 2 backordered. I selected a box or something at the time on the website that held all 5 items until they could ship together as they weren't time critical. The 2 backordered items came in a week or so apart and all 5 items came in one big box. I did it on the website...never had to call them before. That's been awhile so something could have changed.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've had the same experience as "the looney guy." Ordered 5 items, 3 in stock, 2 backordered. I selected a box or something at the time on the website that held all 5 items until they could ship together as they weren't time critical. The 2 backordered items came in a week or so apart and all 5 items came in one big box. I did it on the website...never had to call them before. That's been awhile so something could have changed.

It's also been a while since I talked to the guy who told me they don't do that...I'm starting to wonder if they changed that ridiculous policy and hopefully the dual hazmat fees won't be far behind.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Their website help section still shows this:

Backorder Shipping Charge

All backorder items ship separate from the in-stock order and incur a separate shipping charge.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Their website help section still shows this:

Backorder Shipping Charge

All backorder items ship separate from the in-stock order and incur a separate shipping charge.

OK, so it's right there, IN WRITING, that they will do this? I'm sure there is some little check box where you can choose not to...which they know good n' well at least a percentage of the people ordering will not notice.

I've come to the realization that some people don't mind. Perhaps that should not surprise me as much as it does. The world we live in today is full of things that just don't make sense, but exist nonetheless.

I'm very glad there are other options besides Midway. I think I'll just make good use of them and not be as worked up over it. If apathy is the rule of the day, who am I to fight THAT? :dunno:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Why is there not this level of outrage against the whole idea of haz-mat charges? We have been getting raped ever since the Federal DOT mandated these charges for no good reason 15 years ago.

They did not "mandate these charges".
    It was an industry response to the regulations.

Just like fuel surcharges on freight shipments are an industry response to high fuel costs.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom