• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    Saw this on Drudge report. Seems like the people of Miami are pretty smart, just read the comments. Just shows you cant even go to a fast food place without maybe needing your gun.

1 dead, one injured in Miami Burger King shooting

By ROBERT SAMUELS AND JENNIFER LEBOVICH

jlebovich@MiamiHerald.com

One man was killed and another seriously wounded in a shootout inside a Miami Burger King on Tuesday, officials said.
    Police said a man wearing a ski mask walked into the store at Biscayne Boulevard and 54th Street and demanded money from a clerk.
    A customer, who has a concealed weapons permit, pulled a gun, said Officer Jeff Giordano, a Miami police spokesman.
    The customer and robber exchanged fire.
    The robber was shot dead at the scene.
    The customer, who had several gunshot wounds, was taken to Ryder Trauma Center in serious but stable condition, said Lt. Ignatius Carroll, a Miami Fire Rescue spokesman.
    At about 4 p.m., officials got several 911 calls reporting people shot inside the Burger King.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    We're going to see more of this thing. We are seeing more of this thing.

People are getting hungry.

I'm beginning to wonder how many of these folks in the news recently were good guys, factory workers who were content to put in their time, then lost their job and benefits, and were just not creative enough to find another solution, or maybe panicked.

I do not condone the behavior by any stretch of the imagination, but it's something to maybe think about.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The customer, who had several gunshot wounds, was taken to Ryder Trauma Center in serious but stable condition.

This is why they carry rifles in Israel, and why nothing beats a shotgun with 00 buck for home defense (or a rifle).

The robber was shot dead at the scene.

Rule #0 Mindset.
    Rule #1 Have a gun.
    Rule #2 Keep fighting. Win the fight.
    Rule #3 Train, Practice, Train, Practice... (ad nauseum)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This is why they carry rifles in Israel, and why nothing beats a shotgun with 00 buck for home defense (or a rifle).

Unless you have kids or neighbors.... If a .45 will penetrate and kill a neighbor from 300 yards away... then a rifle or 00 buck will really mess a house up.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This is why they carry rifles in Israel

I submit that "they" carry rifles in Israel because military service is mandatory, and Israel is a small country surrounded and infiltrated by enemies. That said, I think the instances of non-military/LE/security force personnel carrying rifles outside their homes in Israel are pretty rare.

and why nothing beats a shotgun with 00 buck for home defense (or a rifle).

True. Handguns suck as manstoppers. But so does anything hand-held (including shotguns and rifles), relatively speaking. Shot placement is key, no matter what platform we're talking about.

Rule #0 Mindset.
    Rule #1 Have a gun.
    Rule #2 Keep fighting. Win the fight.
    Rule #3 Train, Practice, Train, Practice... (ad nauseum)

Yup. Both actors in this incident were shot with handguns; the good guy lived, and the bad guy was DRT. I guaran-dam-tee you that mindset and shot placement were far bigger factors than caliber.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yup. Both actors in this incident were shot with handguns; the good guy lived, and the bad guy was DRT. I guaran-dam-tee you that mindset and shot placement were far bigger factors than caliber.

Agreed, the bad guy probably just pointed and shot. If you train to AIM and shoot, you will most likely make the shots that count.

This is the sould purpose I shoot steel and matches... it's practice for the real thing.

Well... ok... it's a little FUN too :D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This is the sould purpose I shoot steel and matches... it's practice for the real thing.

Only in the broadest sense, i.e. you're pulling the trigger and sending rounds downrange under quasi-stressful conditions. But you're not moving (in Steel anyway), the targets aren't moving, and they're sure as f*ck not shooting back. You're also on a well-lit, well-groomed range, and shooting with equipment tailored for that sport. Competitions allow you to practice some of the skills you may need to use in a defensive encounter; just be careful how far you take the analogy in your own mind.

Well... ok... it's a little FUN too :D

Undeniably! :yesway:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Unless you have kids or neighbors.... If a .45 will penetrate and kill a neighbor from 300 yards away... then a rifle or 00 buck will really mess a house up.

Anything that will penetrate a bad guy sufficiently to stop an attack will penetrate several walls. I chose the design of my house accordingly. If people can't live with/plan for that, they should get a baseball bat.

The point I was trying to make is that a pistol cartidge (or several of them) does a very poor job of preventing your assailant from returning fire and sending you to the hospital or worse.

Only on TV do bad guys die instantly when good guys shoot them, while it takes good guys a minute or two to expire, and most of them live.

In the real world bad guys die as slow as the good guys do. And if they have a gun they tend to shoot back before they expire. If they expire.

If I lose the fight, my family pays the consequences; I will choose a tool that is appropriate for the job.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm considering carrying 16 shots of frangible .40 S&W in my new XDm. Though, I have no idea how well frangible would do in a situation like this. I just like the idea that it's not going to travel for 300 yards when I start tossing it out there. I have a feeling that adrenaline will empty all 16 rounds pretty rapidly in an 'oh ****' situation.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    If the robber isn't threatening lives yet, I don't know if it's wise to draw your weapon and potentially start a shootout like this one. Assuming the robber was planning to just grab the money and run, then if the armed customer hadn't drawn he probably wouldn't be in the hospital with bullet holes now, and the other guy wouldn't have lost his life over a hundred bucks from a cash register. That said, if there are signs that a robber is getting too violent (which may have been the case here, I don't know), then that's probably justification for response.

Btw, I'm not saying that we should let criminals get away with this behavior, but this is the sort of thing that the liberals like to use as an example of "how armed citizens only create dangerous situations and how much safer we'd all be without them." So for our own sake, let's use our weapons in moderation.

Glock Lite. Please shoot responsibly.

Top Bottom