• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    this was my first year hunting and I enjoyed it. I have a few 1000 acres available to hunt. I go online and find map of the county from the 1800s and see all the property I can hunt. The old map shows houses also, so I go to those locations that are just field now and hunt. Its neat to see all the old stuff. You know when your on site when you see brick and busted pottery. Ive found all kinds of fun worthless stuff. old horseshoes, suspender buckles, toe and heel plates, I found the back to a civil war button. no coin yet but it will happen.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    I have one that i got years ago as a gift. Not sure the cost but it could not have been much as it almost looks like a toy. I found the survey stakes at my last house with it as well as a few modern coins and a few matchbox cars a couple inches deep.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Where do you go on the internet to find old plat maps? I'm especially interested in eastern Marion, Hancock, and northern Shelby counties.

mr buckman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    used my friend's for the first time last week to find my property border stakes....and it worked! Kind of has me wanting to do a little more walking around with it!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up a Garret AT-Pro.

My first week of detecting ever revealed the following.
    Lots of clad coin, one pre-64 silver, some wheat pennies, a square nail. 20g slug, Mary pendant, cheap pin, and a Rose Gold ring. The makers mark on the ring is from the oldest ring maker in the USA. M.B. Bryant he made rings from about 1870-1930's.

7872273830_e114a6481e_c.jpg

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ive been contemplating getting a decent setup. But the limiting factor is land. You either need permission to get on it or you need to own it. I have 5 acres to play on but knowing my luck i would be on someones field and find a motherload of gold and then end up in big legal battle to keep it. :D

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I can certainly appreciate your reservations. I had the same fears and because of those fears, I have beaten my property as well as my mothers property to death. The cool thing about metal detecting, you can hunt the same spot for a year solid and think it's hunted out but then when you return the following year you are finding new treasures. I'm not saying that eases the concern but it certainly helps when I want to hunt but can only hit my yard.

Finding places to hunt isn't as difficult as you might think. The more you become involved in the hobby, the more people you will meet and the more places you will gain access to.

I have actually met a gentleman through this website that is in the same area I am in. We had plans to meet up one morning a few weeks ago but I had to cancel due to illness. I'm planning on reaching out to him the next time I have a free day off to see if he want's to come out to my mothers place and hunt. She owns 11 acres that had 2 old home sites located on it during the late 1800's. Maybe he will share a spot of his, maybe not. Either way, I think it will be a cool experience to meet up with a fellow enthusiast even if it's only to have a soda and lie to each other.

Also, it's pretty easy to gain access to certain state area's provided the privileged hasn't been ruined by previous hunter being disrespectful.

If all else fails, start asking the neighbors and friends. I recently hunted the property a good friends mother. Didn't find anything but it was nice to spend time with him and teach him about the hobby! He is now interested and possibly has a lead on a property that was once the site of a train wreck. The story surrounding the wreck is that the train carried silver and gold coins. Do we plan on finding anything? Not really but it's the thrill of the hunt that keeps me going!

Ive been contemplating getting a decent setup. But the limiting factor is land. You either need permission to get on it or you need to own it. I have 5 acres to play on but knowing my luck i would be on someones field and find a motherload of gold and then end up in big legal battle to keep it. :D

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I picked up a Garret AT-Pro.

My first week of detecting ever revealed the following.
    Lots of clad coin, one pre-64 silver, some wheat pennies, a square nail. 20g slug, Mary pendant, cheap pin, and a Rose Gold ring. The makers mark on the ring is from the oldest ring maker in the USA. M.B. Bryant he made rings from about 1870-1930's.

7872273830_e114a6481e_c.jpg

In two years of hunting, I have still not been able to find a gold ring and here you are doing it in the first week. I hope you break your detector! :xmad: :D:laugh:

In all seriousness, nice finds and a huge congrats!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I can certainly appreciate your reservations. I had the same fears and because of those fears, I have beaten my property as well as my mothers property to death. The cool thing about metal detecting, you can hunt the same spot for a year solid and think it's hunted out but then when you return the following year you are finding new treasures. I'm not saying that eases the concern but it certainly helps when I want to hunt but can only hit my yard.

Finding places to hunt isn't as difficult as you might think. The more you become involved in the hobby, the more people you will meet and the more places you will gain access to.

I have actually met a gentleman through this website that is in the same area I am in. We had plans to meet up one morning a few weeks ago but I had to cancel due to illness. I'm planning on reaching out to him the next time I have a free day off to see if he want's to come out to my mothers place and hunt. She owns 11 acres that had 2 old home sites located on it during the late 1800's. Maybe he will share a spot of his, maybe not. Either way, I think it will be a cool experience to meet up with a fellow enthusiast even if it's only to have a soda and lie to each other.

Also, it's pretty easy to gain access to certain state area's provided the privileged hasn't been ruined by previous hunter being disrespectful.

If all else fails, start asking the neighbors and friends. I recently hunted the property a good friends mother. Didn't find anything but it was nice to spend time with him and teach him about the hobby! He is now interested and possibly has a lead on a property that was once the site of a train wreck. The story surrounding the wreck is that the train carried silver and gold coins. Do we plan on finding anything? Not really but it's the thrill of the hunt that keeps me going!
    Oh by no means am i trying to scare anyone away from the hobby. In fact most likely i will end up knee deep in it myself. Now if fleabay would just give me a Garret at a decent price. :D Thanks for the useful insight.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Oh by no means am i trying to scare anyone away from the hobby. In fact most likely i will end up knee deep in it myself. Now if fleabay would just give me a Garret at a decent price. :D Thanks for the useful insight.

No problem. I'm not an expert by any means but if I can help answer any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Here is a recent find from my mothers property. I was hunting an old home site which happened to be my first time relic hunting as well!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dksj9ycq581342/WP_000756.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wr8tniwkifp34p/WP_000759.jpg

From what I can find on the inter web, it's the front half of a piggy bank that dates back to the early 1900's! Maybe there are some old coins in the area? :dunno:

Last edited:

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    This summer I went up to my parents summer home in Michigan where they left behind a cheap looking metal detector. So, one morning I went out on the beach to hunt. All I found was that the beach was a haven for tetanus.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Seem's more likely that rings fall off in the water about waist deep. I have been only hunting for two weeks in the water and have found one gold ring, and two Mary pendants, one may be silver.

Top Bottom