Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Why are people so quick to judge when they don't know all the facts and were not present when the incident occurred? (not pointing fingers.. just in general)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm curious under what scenario it's OK to shoot someone you have not identified as a threat...or even a burglar.

Now given that the story, as sparse as it is, says he claims he thought it was a burglar, don't start making stuff up about her attacking him. That's not there.

No, we don't know all the facts....but I'm curious as to what facts would make this Okey Dokey.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Same thought process where people in the woods shoot at movement in the brush or a noise. Which is no thought process at all.

Once again assuming this is an accident.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Guys (and maybe gals),

I know you think this can't be you. But I see decisions like this made far too often in the Force on Force training that I provide. Fortunately when they are made in a training class, we have an opportunity to go back and influence the poor decision making. When it happens in the real world, a girl dies.

A flashlight might have helped. Low light training with the flashlight and gun might have helped a lot more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK....Call to 911 burglery in progress.....call made 1st or after he shot the girl.
    OK...teen girl rolling in at 6 AM making enough noise to cause call to 911...drink/drugs or just stupid. Was this an excuse to end a bad situation with an out of control teen???
    OK..step dad goes into a situation in fear (or not) and drops a suspected burglar.
    We are a society that is living in fear. Fear of being blown up at any given event. Fear of being gunned down by some crazed nut job. Fear of home invasion. Any of these things could cause average joe home owner to react in this fashion.
    Or did he just use this as an excuse to end a bad deal. Either way he is deep do-do either legally or with the spousal unit right now.
    Merry Christmas.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Guys (and maybe gals),

I know you think this can't be you. But I see decisions like this made far too often in the Force on Force training that I provide. Fortunately when they are made in a training class, we have an opportunity to go back and influence the poor decision making. When it happens in the real world, a girl dies.

A flashlight might have helped. Low light training with the flashlight and gun might have helped a lot more.

THIS^^^^^^^^

All home defense firearms should have a light attached or sitting next to it. If you cannot positively identify your target...DO NOT SHOOT!!!

There are some scenarios where you might have someone in your home that might not intend to do you harm. Especially if you have family in the home. If you go shooting first and ask questions later, you might have this same scenario.

I had one time in the past (prior to me having a cell phone) where our home phone was not working (had to replace wiring to house) and I was startled awake with someone in my house. When my parents could not reach me during a family emergency they drove to my home...knocked and walked in (they had a key to my house). If I would not have identified them first, I would have killed my own parents. I chastised them for their actions...but that said...it is really MY responsibility to confirm my target.

It is as simple as Rule #3....Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My daughter and I have always had a code word that was used for ID. Even now when I know she is coming home, have a phone call letting me know she is in the driveway, she still is yelling that code word as she opens the door.

Communication and light!

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I've been shot in the back by my own paintball team, (and not because they hated me :P).
    This was indoor paintball, dark.
    Always identify your target people.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Incidents like these serve to reinforce the belief of "gun violence opponents" that gun owners are irresponsible and reckless...

You don't have to be irresponsible and/or reckless. You just have to be your average human.
    Fear, anxiety, deadly weapons, fog of war. Most of us have avoided seal training. We hope to be at least barely rational during a tense stressful situation. Training would be great but would probably need to be reinforced frequently. I would love to be combat ready, but that's not my job (yet). I have hobbies man...... That's how I feel. Soooooo, bad sh*t's gonna happen with that deadly mix. I'm anti-gun.* I keep my CZ on my night stand and give it dirty looks......

* pro my gun, anti yours.
    Couldn't access the article unless I submitted to a survey. This pissed me off so much, I shot up my netbook...

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    We don't have any children or anyone that could come into our home without anticipation or invitation. Simple decision to be made in our case thankfully. Heart goes out to those who have had to suffer such pain and loss.

Top Bottom