• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow, an event in my home town. Would love to make it but since I now live 1200 miles away, I'm afraid I will have to pass on it.

Hope you all enjoy Nashville and the brewery. If anyone stays over, I recommend the Hobnob Restaurant for breakfast. I never miss it on my infrequent forays back to brown county.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Just realized I was replying to something that didn't have anything to do with the Hob Nob, but since I wrote this up already, for anyone who has the time:

The Hob Nob is at the corner of Main Street and Van Buren, the main intersection in the middle of town. It is a two story white frame structure on the southwest corner, built in 1880-something, IIRC.

When I was a kid, it was a drug store run by Maurice "Pods" Miller, a really old fashion style drugstore, altho I did not know it then. It had a soda fountain along one side.

One day it caught fire upstairs and burned out the roof and upper floor. Pods was going to tear it down and build a new one but everyone squawked because it was an historic building.

So Pods had the roof re-constructed. During the work the many years of wall paper and paint were scrapped off, down to the original, and it revealed a vary patriotic pattern, with red/white/blue bunting and eagles and such. Some of this was preserved just above the entrance --- when you go in, turn around and look up and you can see it.

Pods finally retired and sold the building, not sure who actually owns it, but the restaurant has been there a long time now, and is a local gathering place. Lots of pictures of local people and scenes on the walls.

I always stop in and get breakfast when I visit. Altho I live in texas now, I think the Hob Nob has the best Huevos Rancheros -- that's my recommendation.

Hope you all get to visit and enjoy the meet-up, the brewery, and the Hob Nob.

Well lookee, the have a Facebook page. Pictures of it here: Hobnob Corner Restaurant | Facebook

update: I just read on the Facebook page that they celebrated 32 years in business back around Thanksgiving. I am suddenly feeling old...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just realized I was replying to something that didn't have anything to do with the Hob Nob, but since I wrote this up already, for anyone who has the time:

The Hob Nob is at the corner of Main Street and Van Buren, the main intersection in the middle of town. It is a two story white frame structure on the southwest corner, built in 1880-something, IIRC.

When I was a kid, it was a drug store run by Maurice "Pods" Miller, a really old fashion style drugstore, altho I did not know it then. It had a soda fountain along one side.

One day it caught fire upstairs and burned out the roof and upper floor. Pods was going to tear it down and build a new one but everyone squawked because it was an historic building.

So Pods had the roof re-constructed. During the work the many years of wall paper and paint were scrapped off, down to the original, and it revealed a vary patriotic pattern, with red/white/blue bunting and eagles and such. Some of this was preserved just above the entrance --- when you go in, turn around and look up and you can see it.

Pods finally retired and sold the building, not sure who actually owns it, but the restaurant has been there a long time now, and is a local gathering place. Lots of pictures of local people and scenes on the walls.

I always stop in and get breakfast when I visit. Altho I live in texas now, I think the Hob Nob has the best Huevos Rancheros -- that's my recommendation.

Hope you all get to visit and enjoy the meet-up, the brewery, and the Hob Nob.

Well lookee, the have a Facebook page. Pictures of it here: Hobnob Corner Restaurant | Facebook

update: I just read on the Facebook page that they celebrated 32 years in business back around Thanksgiving. I am suddenly feeling old...

Interesting. I might have to check this out one morning if I am in Nashville for breakfast. Actually I think we tried to eat there one morning but the place was packed.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    I am in. The pizza is very good. We have eaten at the pub and had a really good time. Hope to see you all there and by the looks of it the place should be packed :ingo: :rockwoot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok so since we are meeting at the resturant an not the pub, then we can bring kids, right?

Yes. The pub is not big enough. The pub is 21 and over. If kids are going to be there maybe I will bring mine. Only problem is that 8 pm is bedtime for my daughter. Only reason to leave them with grandma.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow! What great response, I look forward to meeting everyone. Thanks, VERT for setting this up!

For those new to the thread tsob42 is the Brewer and part owner of Big Woods.

Tim, it looks like you might have to break out the special brew. :rockwoot:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Ok so since we are meeting at the resturant an not the pub, then we can bring kids, right?

Just to clarify since your post went up shortly after the discussion about the Hob Nob.... I wasn't sure you were responding to an earlier post or thought that the meet was moved to the Hob Nob. It hasn't.

The meet and greet is at the Big Woods Pizza Company. See the original posting for details.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom