• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just in case my nerd flag was not yet flying prominently enough, I hereby commence this discussion about mechanical pencils.

Yes, not only do I use them daily, but I collect them. Specifically, I collect mechanical pencils that use 0.3mm (or 0.35mm) leads.

Anyone else?

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, look at that. I have just been educated on lead. I buy .5 and .7mm. I didn't even really think there were other leads for mechanical pencils. I know artists use different pencils for different shading but never really thought about it... hmmmmm

On the other hand... You collect mechanical pencils... Never would have guessed. :)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    .3mm? I don't think I've ever even heard of that.

My mechanical pencil size of choice is .5mm.

Specifically this one:

26761.jpg

I've had a green one just like that since my first day of college and I still have it and use it daily.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    0.3 is tiny tiny

I used a 0.3 Rapidograph drawing ink pen when I would hand
    draw forms back in the day.
    Set the text and paste up and hand draw the lines for graphs, forms, work orders, etc.
    Put on camera, shoot a negative, strip up negative, burn plate. Plate to press.

New machines are direct to plate or direct to press.

Early days of printing work, one step up from stone knives and bearskin

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I run Pentel drafting pencils in .7mm with an HB rated lead.
    Anything smaller is to fine for me. You could run a .9mm but damn, how much lead on paper do you need to solve a formula of draft a schematic!

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    My dad used .3mm but my favorite was always .5mm. Whenever I wrote with .7mm, I felt really dumb and my handwriting stunk big time.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If I must use a pencil, I have a 0.3 Koh-I-Noor. I've had it forever. In college I could get double the notes on one page. Now I keep pencils in the cabinet with my VCR, cassette deck, checkbook, and 1911. :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    .3mm does not have enough stopping power.

Move up to a heavier caliber .5mm or .7mm or go home.

Your envy is not attractive, sir! It's all about having the right touch!

Well, look at that. I have just been educated on lead. I buy .5 and .7mm. I didn't even really think there were other leads for mechanical pencils. I know artists use different pencils for different shading but never really thought about it... hmmmmm

On the other hand... You collect mechanical pencils... Never would have guessed. :)

Indeed!

There is at least one Pentel mechanical pencil from the 1980s that used 0.2mm leads. I have one, but it's a challenge finding refills for it (eBay seems to be the only place).

The variety of lead thicknesses was more common when pencil-and-paper drafting was still the standard. Since almost everyone uses CAD now and very engineers/architects/draftsmen are taught "board skills," the tools of the trade have become less common.

You can still get a surprising variety of 0.3 pencils from sources that deal in Japanese-made writing implements.

Most high end drafting pencils used to be available in 0.3mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm, and sometimes 0.9mm. Recently some 0.4mm pencils were made by Pentel, but I've never seen one in person and I don't think they are current production.

Using 0.3mm requires a delicate touch, especially for writing. I suspect that a desire for a finer line than 0.5mm can produce, but the need for a more robust lead led to the 0.4mm.

Then there are the traditional "lead holders" that use the 2mm drafting leads. Those have their own charms and can be shaped to produce a line of virtually any thickness you choose.

Ah, mechanical pencils.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    LOL.... I can see a thread starting asking for recommendations of Mech. Pencils!!

What brand pencil do i get?
    What is teh diffrence in write down power between .3, .5, .7 and .9
    How hard is to hard for lead.
    What is the best beginer Mech Pencil

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I must use a pencil, I have a 0.3 Koh-I-Noor. I've had it forever. In college I could get double the notes on one page. Now I keep pencils in the cabinet with my VCR, cassette deck, checkbook, and 1911. :dunno:

Ah, the venerable red-barrelled KOH-I-NOOR Rapidomatic 0.3mm mechanical pencil!

Older models were excellent. It's still in production, but the clutch mechanism on recent samples has been crap. The lead is only gripped in one spot and it advances the lead too much in one click. That means it's either too short or too long (this leading to breakage).

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    LOL.... I can see a thread starting asking for recommendations of Mech. Pencils!!

What brand pencil do i get?
    What is teh diffrence in write down power between .3, .5, .7 and .9
    How hard is to hard for lead.
    What is the best beginer Mech Pencil
    And how to apply for the infamous LTMP

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to use mechanical pencils and still do from time to time. But I have to say there is just something special about a freshly sharpened Ticonderoga #2....

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I use .5 in my 25 year old gold Cross pencil. Old school nerd.

Now, about financial calculators, you can't beat the old school HP 17BII!!!

Top Bottom