• ...and so much more!
  • Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Nerds with guns almost sounds a little extreme.:):

I used to use the .5, but it was just a pain. Sometime ago I made the switch to .7 and have not looked back.

What's the next thread going to be on? Gum erasers & tape?:D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Real nerds don't make mistakes; we use pens.

I have to call doggy doo here... what self respecting nerd didn't love to have the excuse to whip out this bad boy

s0106527_sc7

This was official equipment amongst my checker shirted brethren in HS.

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch
    i use them in school because if it breaks there is no awkward silence walking across the room while everyone stares at you to sharpen your pencil. and they last longer too.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I keep them in every room for drawing/sketching. They always have a sharp tip on them! :)
    I would freak if I didn't have them.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I use .5 in my 25 year old gold Cross pencil. Old school nerd.

Now, about financial calculators, you can't beat the old school HP 17BII!!!

I like my 10B II.

The business school at the University of Illinois taught everyone to use some sort of TI. I took my business courses at the Illinois Institute of Technology, where I learned to use the HP. When I transferred to Illinois, I opted to just keep and use my HP.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    When I was a kid, and we weren't drawing on the cave walls, I used a Scripto:
    1_315316f579506ea606f2010e30fdf41f.jpg

I tried a lot of different ones thru the years, nowadays I use a 0.7mm Pentel Quicker Clicker:
    kwiker%20clicker_thumb.jpg

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Just in case my nerd flag was not yet flying prominently enough, I hereby commence this discussion about mechanical pencils.

Yes, not only do I use them daily, but I collect them. Specifically, I collect mechanical pencils that use 0.3mm (or 0.35mm) leads.

Anyone else?
    Waxing nostalgic, first for old TI calculators, and now mechanical pencils? Perhaps the meds need adjusting, huh?:dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I was a kid, and we weren't drawing on the cave walls, I used a Scripto:
    1_315316f579506ea606f2010e30fdf41f.jpg

CLASSICS!

They did some clutch-mechanism (like are used today) with fine point leads back in the 1980s as well. Occasionally you can find them on eBay.

When I was an undergrad at good ol' Nerd U (i.e. Rose-Hulman, nee Rose Polytech), my first 0.3 pencil was a Pentel PMG (still available). It was and continues to be a serious instrument! However, #2 and #3 were both Scriptos.

One 0.3mm Scripto had a brown plastic barrel and the other was blue. I kept HB lead in one, and 2H in the other. They got used so much that you can no longer read the labels. Another key feature is that they were among the first if not the first clutch mechanism to also feature a spring-loaded point. If you pressed too hard, the lead would retract into the sleeve so it was less likely to break.

I was able to find a pair (one of each color) on eBay a few years ago, so I have some potential new users and the originals can retire in a place of comfort and safety.

Top Bottom