• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Haven't really considered it. I haven't had any problems with meat drying out on me in the smoker. Just had the issue with the last brisket not getting smoke on the side with the fat cap.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Haven't really considered it. I haven't had any problems with meat drying out on me in the smoker. Just had the issue with the last brisket not getting smoke on the side with the fat cap.

then for sure trim it, that will solve that. how long are you smoking it? mine usually take 14-16 hours.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The best Boston Butt/shoulder I've bought has been from Marsh. You'll have to ask the butcher for it and he/she will bring it out of the back (generally).

I've bought my last few briskets from Kincaid's. They come with a decent fat cap that you or they can trim to your specs. It smokes extremely well and I've been very happy with the end product. The baby back ribs from there are also very good.

I've found Kincaid's are in line with most other prices on similar cuts. You're not going to run into a situation where you're paying $3.99 at Marsh and $8.99 at Kincaid's for pork ribs. And, generally, the quality of the product from Kincaid's makes any extra $ you fork over well worth it.

Speaking of which, I need to see if they have or can get rib tips. I had some smoked rib tips from Tom's BarBQ and Deli that were glorious and I want to try my hand at it.

As for cooking, I do all of my smoking on a Weber kettle grill. Set it up on indirect. For a 6-8 lb shoulder, 3-4 hours on the grill with a load of wood chips on the hour. Then, cover with foil in a foil baking dish and into a 275 F oven for 3 hours. It falls apart and is very moist. Great smoke ring and bark, too. YMMV.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I've found Kincaid's are in line with most other prices on similar cuts. You're not going to run into a situation where you're paying $3.99 at Marsh and $8.99 at Kincaid's for pork ribs. And, generally, the quality of the product from Kincaid's makes any extra $ you fork over well worth it.

I completely agree. A quality shop selling quality products makes a huge difference especially on ribs or a brisket. I think you can "slide" a little bit on something like a shoulder. I do believe Restaurant Depot has great meats at a bargain price.

If you tasted my butt, I think you would agree.

ammoguy62

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Oh man those ribs look tasty. My son likes to dehydrate for jerky and has always wanted a smoker. It seems like all the good meat places are gone, at least the ones I remember.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got up at 0800 this morning and got the smoker fired up. I prepped the shoulder, brisket and chickens yesterday afternoon. A good rinse and coating with dry rub for the shoulder and brisket and a nice coating of softened butter and dry rub under the skin of the chickens. Popped everything into the smoker around 0830. I pulled the chickens out around 1:30, wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven for another couple of hours. They're good to go now and cooling down so I can pull the meat for dinner tonight. They look really dark but that's the skin and I pitch it anyway, the meat looks great underneath.
    23158899_photobucket_8131_.jpg

I placed the pork should on the top rack and the brisket down low. Figured the pork takes a lot longer to dry out and the drippings from it are helping to keep the brisket nice and moist. Been spraying everything down with apple juice about once an hour and with the water bowl in the bottom everything appears to be staying nice and moist. The chickens were between the two before I took them out.
    23158899_photobucket_8132_.jpg

I have a couple of AR15 parts in the oven at the moment. Here in a couple of hours I'll wrap the brisket tightly in foil and put it in the oven at 200* to finish it off. The shoulder should be good and I will probably leave it in the smoker till 8 or 9 tonight.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've got one of those grill/smoker combos that's just big enough to do a couple of racks of ribs or a brisket at a time. I usually use apple to smoke, as I have a source for a fresh apple tree that I cut parts from and let them dry for a few days. I find it imparts just the right amount of flavor. I don't have an issue with using mesquite, but I generally only buy chips to add to the charcoal when grilling.

As far as smoking, I keep my smoker between 200 and 225. I dry rub my meats before dropping them in, and I mop them with liquid. The dry rub and liquid mop are home made and secret recipes, but I suggest experimenting to come up with your own. Most commercial rubs and liquid mops are no match to your own blend.

Keep the meat moist, and keep adding rub. That's one trick I learned from my studies at smoking meat. You don't have to rub it in every time, but keeping it on the meat keeps the flavor added.

I can smoke ribs in about four hours and a brisket in about six. Of course, my smoker is smaller, so there's just the right size to keep the heat circulating without wasting it. I never use foil until I'm ready to store it in the fridge, and I've only ever used the oven to warm it up later.

Oh, and it's personal preference, but I don't ever add sauce to my meat while it's in the smoker, or on the grill. Sauce can be added when you eat it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Theres more meat being smoked at phylodogs house than the mens restroom in downtown Indy.
    Thanks for the deal on the aow.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got one of those grill/smoker combos that's just big enough to do a couple of racks of ribs or a brisket at a time. I usually use apple to smoke, as I have a source for a fresh apple tree that I cut parts from and let them dry for a few days. I find it imparts just the right amount of flavor. I don't have an issue with using mesquite, but I generally only buy chips to add to the charcoal when grilling.

As far as smoking, I keep my smoker between 200 and 225. I dry rub my meats before dropping them in, and I mop them with liquid. The dry rub and liquid mop are home made and secret recipes, but I suggest experimenting to come up with your own. Most commercial rubs and liquid mops are no match to your own blend.

Keep the meat moist, and keep adding rub. That's one trick I learned from my studies at smoking meat. You don't have to rub it in every time, but keeping it on the meat keeps the flavor added.

I can smoke ribs in about four hours and a brisket in about six. Of course, my smoker is smaller, so there's just the right size to keep the heat circulating without wasting it. I never use foil until I'm ready to store it in the fridge, and I've only ever used the oven to warm it up later.

Oh, and it's personal preference, but I don't ever add sauce to my meat while it's in the smoker, or on the grill. Sauce can be added when you eat it.

Used 2 parts hickory to 1 part cherry wood today. The chicken was fantastic so I'm hoping the brisket and pork will be also. I decided to finish everything in the smoker rather than the oven so I just pulled the brisket out, took right at 12 hours. It's wrapped tightly in foil, wrapped in a towel and resting in the cooler now. The pork still needs another 10* and it'll be done as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tre0762
    Top Bottom