• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the thing I like about going to a butcher is the fact that they can trim things up for you there and let you inspect any meat you want before you buy. I have a great relationship with my butcher and it shows because he always saves the best ribs and loins for me, and he never gives me shiners.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    I second the vote for Value Market in Mooresville. Custom cut excellent quality meat. Good service too. He also has a store in Cloverdale and one in Gosport that are just as good. As far as wood goes I like a hickory and apple blend for most meat. I just cut a couple ricks of hickory this morning to use for smoking this fall and winter. Cant wait to get it fired up.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    For meat there is a small mom and pop type shop called "Mike's" (I think it is Mike's Midway) on the southside at the corner of Stop 11 and Shelbyville road (not far from the 65 Southport rd exit). I went to high school with the sons owner who is supposed to be taking over and everyone says they have REALLY good meat.... I have heard the prices are a little higher but it is a mom and pop shop and I hear the price is worth it.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I don't really know Indy that well but around here if I want a really good cut of meat then instead of going to the store I will go to the packing house. Every packing house I've ever been in has a small butcher's counter. Talk to the guy behind the counter, tell him exactly what you want and don't be greedy and he'll hook you right up.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    We normally ball all of our meat at Costco, they're quality is far superior to Walmart. I've had problems finding the cuts I want for smoking there though, mainly the pork butt and brisket. The ribs and tenderloin I posted pics of were both bought at Costco.

I appreciate all of the recommendations guys.

Hey Phylo, at least at the Castleton Costco, I've always had good luck flagging the butchers down and they cut whatever I ask them to up on the spot if it's in stock. If it isn't I go back when it is and they take care of me. Best of luck finding a good cut!

For meat there is a small mom and pop type shop called "Mike's" (I think it is Mike's Midway) on the southside at the corner of Stop 11 and Shelbyville road (not far from the 65 Southport rd exit). I went to high school with the sons owner who is supposed to be taking over and everyone says they have REALLY good meat.... I have heard the prices are a little higher but it is a mom and pop shop and I hear the price is worth it.

I drive past this intersection almost every day and have never been in there. I'll have to stop by and check it out.

Thanks for the tip.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have never been able to find a better butcher than Kincades on Illinois in Indy.L.E. Kincaid & Sons Meat Market - Home Page

+1 on Kincaid's. Do make sure to bring your checkbook though.

Last week I posted this picture of my baby back ribs. I used to always buy at Sam's Club, but I have a new source. I bought these at Restaurant Depot. It's like a wholesale club without the books, clothes and MILF's with SUVs.

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

Last week I posted this picture of my baby back ribs. I used to always buy at Sam's Club, but I have a new source. I bought these at Restaurant Depot. It's like a wholesale club without the books, clothes and MILF's with SUVs.

no milfs? count me out then.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

Yeah restaurant depot has some awesome food but I can only go when my buddy who is part owner of a restaurant goes.

I've gotten a roast beef there and some cheese, both were excellent.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I'm going to smoke a whole turkey this weekend. Has anyone ever done this? This will be my first time trying a turkey. I'm planning on using a mix of apple and hickory chips. A buddy of mine told me to stuff the inside of the bird with apples. I'm really not too sure what to do yet.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Kincaid's (on Illinois?) doesn't lack MILFs. Cupcake shop next door, couple of trendy restaurants nearby.

They are a place that competes on quality rather than price, so they aren't the least expensive. Beech Grove market has good pork at good prices though. Claus' is more of a buy-it-already-smoked place. Half the stuff in there is smoked at least once.

I just took in a digital Bradley smoker and I'm trying to get it seasoned before jerky making season takes off, so I've been scouting the meat markets.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm going to smoke a whole turkey this weekend. Has anyone ever done this? This will be my first time trying a turkey. I'm planning on using a mix of apple and hickory chips. A buddy of mine told me to stuff the inside of the bird with apples. I'm really not too sure what to do yet.

Make sure to brine that baby. I drop mine in a 4 gallon bucket with a cup of sugar and a cup of salt, filled the rest of the way with water. Put in the fridge for 24 - 48 hours. Brining is the key to smoking turkeys. It'll be the best one you have ever had.

You can always add more to your brine. Although I haven't had time for all of the little stuff, this is Alton Brown's turkey brine recipe:

For the brine:

• 1 cup kosher salt
    • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
    • 1 gallon vegetable stock
    • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
    • 1 gallon heavily iced water
    For the aromatics:

• 1 red apple, sliced
    • 1/2 onion, sliced
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 1 cup water
    • 4 sprigs rosemary
    • 6 leaves sage
    • Canola oil

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Naptown have you smoked whole chickens? I smoked three a couple of months ago, I didn't brine them but rubbed them under the skin with softened butter and dry rub. I smoked them for about four hours and they were wonderful. I just picked up two whole chickens, a 10lb pork butt and a 6.5lb whole brisket for Saturday.

Also curious if anyone has much experience with brisket. I did one last year and the side opposite the fat cap had a nice ring and good flavor but the smoke did not penetrate the fat cap at all and the meat on that side tasted more like corned beef. I was planning to score the fat cap this time but was reading on a meat smoking forum and a lot of the posters recommended against it. I'm planning on two hours fat side up, one hour fat side down in a foil pan, covering for the next four hours then an hour unwrapped on the rack to firm up the bark a bit before wrapping in foil and towels and putting it in a cooler for a couple hours. Sound about right?

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    Thanks for the info Naptown. I'm getting ready to go set it up in some brine right now. It should work out perfect to throw in the smoker saturday morning. I will give an update to let you know how it turns out.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Naptown have you smoked whole chickens? I smoked three a couple of months ago, I didn't brine them but rubbed them under the skin with softened butter and dry rub. I smoked them for about four hours and they were wonderful.

I haven't done a whole chicken, but I have done the roasters. They turn out great.

IMG_3897.jpg

Also curious if anyone has much experience with brisket. I did one last year and the side opposite the fat cap had a nice ring and good flavor but the smoke did not penetrate the fat cap at all and the meat on that side tasted more like corned beef. I was planning to score the fat cap this time but was reading on a meat smoking forum and a lot of the posters recommended against it. I'm planning on two hours fat side up, one hour fat side down in a foil pan, covering for the next four hours then an hour unwrapped on the rack to firm up the bark a bit before wrapping in foil and towels and putting it in a cooler for a couple hours. Sound about right?

Walmart actually does have decent briskets. Make sure to buy it with the "nose" on. That's the fat cap and you do need that for a good cook. I trim the cap a bit, and cook with the fat cap up. I leave mine on the smoker until it's about 160 (technically done) and then double foil wrap it and put it back on the smoker. Shoot for 175 for that nice tender consistancy.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks for the info Naptown. I'm getting ready to go set it up in some brine right now. It should work out perfect to throw in the smoker saturday morning. I will give an update to let you know how it turns out.

don't forget to pull the baggie of goodies out of the butt!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

how are you trimming the fat on it? also are you marking it so you can can get the most tender cuts after its done? brisket besides whole hog is one of the trickier meats to master. when I do it(rarely) I always cook fat side up for the first half of cooking time then fat side down for the next quarter then fat side up again for the last quarter. and about half way through I baste every 30 minutes. foil never touches my brisket unless it's covering a plate of leftovers.

I haven't done a whole chicken, but I have done the roasters. They turn out great.

Walmart actually does have decent briskets. Make sure to buy it with the "nose" on. That's the fat cap and you do need that for a good cook. I trim the cap a bit, and cook with the fat cap up. I leave mine on the smoker until it's about 160 (technically done) and then double foil wrap it and put it back on the smoker. Shoot for 175 for that nice tender consistancy.

boo! your texas crutching it!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I didn't trim the fat at all on the last one, haven't touched this one yet either. Hoping for some advice this time around as the last one left a bit to be desired.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tre0762
    Top Bottom